Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 01-09-2013, 5:56 PM

Default Thoughts on Ultrasonic cleaning SS Ruger Mark III

I've got a Ruger Mark III stainless steel gun that I have yet to clean after about 8,000 rounds. I really have no interest in taking it apart and tormenting myself. Does anyone have experience with cleaning it an an Ultrasonic bath? What medium is recommended? Eds Red, Windex, Soap?
Old 01-09-2013, 7:20 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Don't know what to use as a solvent (medium) except that I wouldn't use anything that is water based like Windex, etc. How about Hoppe's #9 or CLP and not even sure about that as how will you ensure that all the solvent is out of the action and won't start to gum it up? I'm just thinking on the fly here.

Maybe give a local gunshop/smith a call and see what they recommend.
Old 01-09-2013, 7:50 PM

Careful there is a lot of energy in ultra sonic cleaners and you can dull the finish if left in too long. I know a soft solder finish will dull in about 10 seconds with DI water.
Old 01-09-2013, 7:51 PM

I'e cleaned mine with dish soap and water in my ultra sonic cleaner with no issues.
Old 01-09-2013, 8:03 PM
Calguns Addict

I've got one. It will clean a fouled up CZ75 slide and an AR15 bolt at the same time. But it does not eliminate the need for scrubbing the harder spots like behind extractors and inside the bolt carrier key.

I've used simple dawn dish soap and warm water. But there's other solvents and solutions you can buy that are more effective and safer on certain materials and finishes.

If you want a cheap one, Harbor Freight has a Chicago Electric 2.5 liter heated cleaner that pops up for sale for $75 once in while. And the cool part is, the company is the OEM for the Lyman Ultrasonic Case Cleaner. I've had mine for little under a year and half and it still runs like a champ.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/c...asecleaner.php

And you're in luck, they're on sale

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lite...ner-95563.html

Finger print recognition is one more thing that keeps your killamajig from performing its killimafunction
Old 01-20-2013, 10:33 PM

lots of youtube videos on taking your gun apart and cleaning it.. after the 3rd time you can do it fast..
Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 PM
CGSSA Associate

Find someone in your area that has one and, let them help you take it apart and clean it. If you are near San Diego, I could help you out. Throwing a whole gun in an ultrasonic usually doesn't work how you would expect, and if you don't take the gun apart, you cant get all the water out, leading to rust issues.

Please protect me from the evil that I see, and the darkness that I cannot.----Rev.Johnson
Old 01-21-2013, 8:35 AM

I clean my steel guns with Simple Green/water, blow the water off with compressed air, then soak in diesel for a few minutes to displace the water and leave a film of protection.
Old 01-21-2013, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

Years ago, I watched an American Gun Institute video on disassembly and cleaning of a Winchester 94, and I was surprised they used Simple Green as a cleaning solvent. I followed their recommendation and have used Simple Green to clean my firearms since, and have not had any problems.

If you are going to immerse your handgun into any solution, you need to insure that all of the solution has drained. Water based solutions can cause rust, and any solution left in the action will probably squirt out in all directions when you fire the firearm.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpaul View Post
lots of youtube videos on taking your gun apart and cleaning it.. after the 3rd time you can do it fast..
Yup I agree, take down is not hard at all after a few times.

Even if I shoot 1 brick or 5 bricks of ammo, I will clean my 22/45.

Also really clean your trigger assembly/area, you'll be surprised in the trigger pull. A nice polish mod wouldn't hurt.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmca View Post
I clean my steel guns with Simple Green/water, blow the water off with compressed air, then soak in diesel for a few minutes to displace the water and leave a film of protection.
from the Simple Green website:

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner and Simple Green® Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances.