Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM
JoshuaS's Avatar
JoshuaS JoshuaS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,615
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default 10/22, sticky charging handle

While on the range, my bolt/charging handle became stuck, first in a closed position, then all the way back. It took a lot of force to move and had a lot of resistance.

After disassembly I figured it was the charging handle/spring. Gunked up. So I cleaned it up, but it still sticks. Once it is warmed up it is fine, but let it sit a few minutes and it is hard to get the handle to move, and it feels like the handle is scraping along the rod where the spring is on (sorry if I don't know the proper terms).

Will this be something that will work itself out, or should I get some emery paper and smooth the rod out? It is making it difficult to reassemble.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-17-2013, 11:59 AM
SB1964's Avatar
SB1964 SB1964 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,041
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

The spring & charging handle is slid onto the rod, then the rods crimped. My factory crimp job tweaked the rod a bit, kind of an oval shaped Crimp. Common issue with 10/22's. Sometimes you can push the spring down & rotate the handle a bit, on the rod, finding a better position. The rod & spring are key parts of the action, see if you can get it to work better, if not, most of us buy a better rod & handle. KIDD & volquartsen are 2 choices. Also make sure rod's not bent & re-assemble it in the action, making sure it was correct!!!
__________________
Yes I took the pic, no I didn't go swimming!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-17-2013, 3:58 PM
tanakasan tanakasan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,553
iTrader: 36 / 100%
Default

+1^^

Make sure the guide rod is not bent (it would take a fair bend to bind it though) and be sure the pointed end of the guide rod is in the divot in the rear of the receiver.

Robert
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-17-2013, 4:10 PM
JoshuaS's Avatar
JoshuaS JoshuaS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,615
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB1964 View Post
The spring & charging handle is slid onto the rod, then the rods crimped. My factory crimp job tweaked the rod a bit, kind of an oval shaped Crimp. Common issue with 10/22's. Sometimes you can push the spring down & rotate the handle a bit, on the rod, finding a better position. The rod & spring are key parts of the action, see if you can get it to work better, if not, most of us buy a better rod & handle. KIDD & volquartsen are 2 choices. Also make sure rod's not bent & re-assemble it in the action, making sure it was correct!!!
Okay. The rod is straight and positioned right, but the top part is ovalish. When you pull the handle all the way down and release quickly, it seems to get stuck on that oval. As far as the scraping feel as it does move along the rod, that seemed to work itself out with a thorough scouring and working it back and forth many times.

I will see if I cannot position it better, as you say. Thanks for the help. If not, I will replace the rod when I do the auto bolt release modification. I want a bigger charging handle anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-17-2013, 4:18 PM
wc12 wc12 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ventura County
Posts: 264
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Try polishing the rod.
__________________
Damn democrats are turning me into a republican.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-17-2013, 5:09 PM
tanakasan tanakasan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,553
iTrader: 36 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaS View Post
Okay. The rod is straight and positioned right, but the top part is ovalish. When you pull the handle all the way down and release quickly, it seems to get stuck on that oval. As far as the scraping feel as it does move along the rod, that seemed to work itself out with a thorough scouring and working it back and forth many times.

I will see if I cannot position it better, as you say. Thanks for the help. If not, I will replace the rod when I do the auto bolt release modification. I want a bigger charging handle anyways.
If you replace it, get the KIDD rod & (3) springs kit...I think its only around $13.

Robert
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-17-2013, 5:46 PM
f308gt4 f308gt4 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 520
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanakasan View Post
If you replace it, get the KIDD rod & (3) springs kit...I think its only around $13.

Robert
Agree. My original rod actually snapped one day. Replaced it with the KIDD, and it is smooth as butter.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-17-2013, 6:24 PM
sando's Avatar
sando sando is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Costa Mesa
Posts: 516
iTrader: 61 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaS View Post
Okay. The rod is straight and positioned right, but the top part is ovalish. When you pull the handle all the way down and release quickly, it seems to get stuck on that oval.
I just cleaned my 10/22 last night for the first time in years. The handle got jammed good at the end of the guide rod and I played hell getting it apart. That Kidd rod kit looks like my next buy.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-21-2013, 4:18 PM
JoshuaS's Avatar
JoshuaS JoshuaS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,615
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Well I cleaned it, polished the rod, and tried moving the spring.

Shot 650 rounds without any fail to feed or fire. About 4 fail to extracts, toward the end (expected...bulk ammo, dirty by then). The charging handle would still stick a little, especially after letting the gun sit during a cease fire...it apparently wedges itself more over time. But it wasn't nearly as hard to pull it back, and it didn't get stuck or feel like it scrapes in other positions.

Fully acceptable for now...now I just have to sand out the overspray in the receiver and dremel the bolt release. I think my first purchase, now, would actually be a different bolt buffer.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-21-2013, 6:06 PM
Mail Clerk Mail Clerk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,124
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

JoshuaS,

Try cleaning your bore and chamber. Especially the chamber using an old 22 brush.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-21-2013, 6:44 PM
tanakasan tanakasan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,553
iTrader: 36 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaS View Post
Well I cleaned it, polished the rod, and tried moving the spring.

Shot 650 rounds without any fail to feed or fire. About 4 fail to extracts, toward the end (expected...bulk ammo, dirty by then). The charging handle would still stick a little, especially after letting the gun sit during a cease fire...it apparently wedges itself more over time. But it wasn't nearly as hard to pull it back, and it didn't get stuck or feel like it scrapes in other positions.

Fully acceptable for now...now I just have to sand out the overspray in the receiver and dremel the bolt release. I think my first purchase, now, would actually be a different bolt buffer.
Ah, painted receiver! At least it shot better this time out!

Clean that paint out, get a KIDD rod set, VQ extractor (best $10~$12 you can spend) and a soft buffer. The DIY auto bolt release is handy!

Robert
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:02 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.