Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 01-18-2013, 9:24 AM

Default is bulk ammo any worse or better than 50 pack bxs

I see the bulk 500 rounds boxes and then I see the 100 or 50 pack boxes..I just paid 40.00 for 500 ( not bulk ) so about 8.00 a hundred no tax for CCI's

I think I probably got hosed but I needed them and everyone here is out...
Are the bulk boxes lesser quality ?
Old 01-18-2013, 9:28 AM
In Memoriam

you talking .22?
Old 01-18-2013, 9:28 AM

bulk does not change the quality. If you get 5x100 round packs of cci minimags it is the same as getting a 500 round bulk pack of cci minimags.

if you're comparing cci minimags to federal bulk boxes that's a whole different story.
Old 01-18-2013, 9:43 AM

I really like Federal bulk ammo. Before Walmart ran out, you could pick up a box of 550 copper plated .22 LRs for just 20 bucks. I haven't had any accuracy or reliability issues with those things at all.
Old 01-18-2013, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
I really like Federal bulk ammo. Before Walmart ran out, you could pick up a box of 550 copper plated .22 LRs for just 20 bucks. I haven't had any accuracy or reliability issues with those things at all.
Likewise.
Last cal expo show I went to they had the cases of 5250 for around 15$ per box. 150$ for the case. Bought two cases, shot about 3 boxes worth thus far with no issues whatsoever. Granted I'm just shooting a 10/22 which week feed most anything.
Old 01-18-2013, 1:51 PM
Calguns Addict

I shoot the federal and rem as well as CCI bulk packs. All work fine for me. Most of mine are HP bullets. I stopped buying them when they went from $9.97-$10 per pack to higher amounts. I had stocked up on them when my daughter was young and would shoot 1 or more bulk packs in a days shooting. She now mostly shoots centerfire stuff. Still have about 30K of 22RF left so not buying any for quite some time.
Old 01-18-2013, 2:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Here is some FUD for you...

Every once in a while, the ammo factories run a shutdown, where they check all the tools/machines, etc, and recalibrate everything and replace worn out things. Then they run some ammo and do some QC until the get the spec they want. That's the 50rnd, 100rnd pack stuff. Then as time passes and tools wear down, machine specs drift, the ammo is packed as "bulk ammo" then when the QC shows that the specs have drifted too much, they'll run another shutdown.

end of FUD.

I heard this at an Appleseed shoot when the instructor was explaining ammo (since most people shoot .22 at Appleseeds).

It sounds reasonable but I have no real first hand info on it other than "some guy said this".
Old 01-18-2013, 4:26 PM

If you're trying to find the most accurate ammo for your rifle, you will want to try a few different brands. I shoot the Remington bulk and I can consistently get 1 1/2" 10 shot groups at 25 yards from an unsupported offhand position. I haven't shot my rifle from a bench to see how much tighter the group could get. Stock 10/22, took off the barrel band and put on Tech-Sites.
Old 01-18-2013, 6:27 PM

For me it's a #s game. I look at it a cost per round fired.

For example:

325rd Federal Automatch = $14.94 (with tax)
~ $0.046 per trigger pull
525rd Federal Value Pack = $16.15 (with tax)
~ $0.031 per trigger pull
555rd Winchester Value Pack = $19.42 (with tax)
~ $0.035 per trigger pull

50rd Remington Target = $7.55 (with tax)
~ $0.15 per trigger pull

I normally buy the 525rd Federal bulk or the 555rd Winchester bulk, keeping my cost at around 3 to 4 cents per shot fired. The Automatch stuff is nice too and both of my .22s like so I'm willing to spend the 1 to 2 cent premium.

Currently, the only stuff that makes it more than hour after a store is restocked is the nicer 50 rd boxes, usually in the $6.99 to $7.99 price range and you can see that this brings the operating price to 15 cents.

When my girlfriend and I go to the range for the afternoon it's not uncommon for us to empty a 525 round box if the weather is nice and we're having a good time. If we shot that Remington target stuff we would have just spent close to $80. I'm pretty confident that the holes in my target will look the same and I don't think they'll be that much closer in proximity, certainly not enough to justify spending $80 versus less than $20.
Old 01-18-2013, 7:21 PM

Default Deep pockets....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
I shoot the federal and rem as well as CCI bulk packs. All work fine for me. Most of mine are HP bullets. I stopped buying them when they went from $9.97-$10 per pack to higher amounts. I had stocked up on them when my daughter was young and would shoot 1 or more bulk packs in a days shooting. She now mostly shoots centerfire stuff. Still have about 30K of 22RF left so not buying any for quite some time.
Girls are more expensive to raise already.... Now your daughter has gone from rimfire to centerfire... even more expensive now. lol... Deeeeeep Pockets!

She probably out shoots you too!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:39 PM

I buy the inexpensive stuff in bulk ($0.034- $0.036 a round after tax + shipping). A lot of people on here seem buy particular brands of .22lr. I don't care, I get good groups and I clean my gun every 500-700 rds; I have yet to find a reason to choose higher quality ammo.

I guess when I get good enough to test the limits of my gun I'll buy a box of fancy ammo.
Old 01-20-2013, 8:20 PM
Calguns Addict

DTom75----Yes they get more costly as they get older. Especially when she would go thru 150+ 257Roberts rounds in a day. She actually shot out the barrel on her 257Roberts. I had it rebarreled with a SS Douglas air gage barrel this year for the Africa trip. But she is worth it. She will be getting married in 2014. Would have got married this year but dads taking her to go and hunt Africa in April-May so that fouled up any wedding plans for 2013.
Yes she can outshoot me sometimes. She often out shoots her future husband. She also shoot a bow.
Today I loaded up a couple hundred rounds of 257Roberts ammo for her to practice with before the trip. Also will give her several boxes(550round) of 22RF for practice and fun when I see her in a couple of weeks.