Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated > Semiauto Rifles Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Semiauto Rifles Gallery Post pictures of your rifles and carbines here!

Old 01-17-2013, 7:23 PM

Default AMD-65 newest configuration

WARNING: NOT FOR THE TRADITIONAL OF HEART!

I just got the Ultimak rail in today so I removed the UTG and installed the original AMD forend to work with the Ultimak. I'm real excited about how far my rifle has come to being what it is now, and although I had different thoughts for it in the beginning, the way I use it and what I need out of it has dictated what it's become. I still want a shorter muzzle brake, fixed stock, and lower Ultimak rail so I can have more options for my rail accessories. The light is mounted low because it just doesn't fit the other way. The lower Ultimak rail will remedy this. Just wanted to show off Mortisha in her current configuration. Thanks to all of you whom I have learned a thing or two from. I have become a better shooter and my rifle has become a very purposeful tool, largely in part of what I learn on forums.

Last edited by MindBeyondAverage; 01-17-2013 at 7:35 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 8:12 PM

you're such a ninja.
Old 01-18-2013, 8:15 PM
Veteran Member

with the M&P!

Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

Old 01-18-2013, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch_paradox View Post
you're such a ninja.
Perhaps, but not quite. For one, I don't pretend to have provided security detail in Iraq, or have had to take lives in order to defend my own. It's sad that I have to explain myself over a setup that you cannot see the purpose behind. Although there were other avenues I could have taken in the configuration of my rifle and gear, I didn't and it kind of just ended up this way over the few thousand rounds that I've put through the two weapons. I am a prepper and in the firearms aspect of it, I have put alot of thought into the purpose of them. I have had them setup other ways and found out through running drills and shooting, that those ways were not the way to do it. I have found out over 15 years of martial arts that it is hardly about the tools as much as it is about the man using then, but some things give a good advantage and one would be foolish not to utilize them. What I have here is an AK47 with a rail for my Aimpoint (so that I may remove it quickly in the event it fails me in confrontation), a light (so that I may see in the dark), a grip that feels more comfortable and keeps my hand away from the heat that is generated after putting a few hundred rounds down range, a battery holder to hold a spare for my Aimpoint giving me ten years of battery life in a world where they may no longer be readily available, a funnel that increased my reload time from discharge to battery from 3.6 to 3.2 seconds (and since you're not a ninja, you know every split second counts in a gunfight), some gear so I don't have to dig mags out of the pockets on the side of my cargo pants and can keep my secondary at a ready place where can I quickly deploy it for one of many reasons that would call for doing so, and an American flag because I am a patriot and love what it stands for and intend to defend it if and when necessary (you know like you do when you're out there killing dozens of people when you're on your spy missions). So forgive me if I have not earned my stripes by shedding blood by the gallons but there is nothing wrong with being ready for a time when my tools and the training of them comes. I'm not a gamer, I'm not out to prove how cool I am with my virgin guns on a forum where someone's approval means the world to me. I'm a civilian sheepdog/prepper who values my second amendment rights and the fact that I can have tools that will give me an advantage over guys that love to down folks on the internet, if and when the time comes when I will need them. My rifle and gear are simple. The purpose behind them is what's more complicating. Perhaps you shouldn't pass judgement based off of assumptions. Thanks and God bless.
Old 01-18-2013, 9:28 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I like the AK. It would seem to be a bit front heavy. I am guessing that picture was taken outside of California.
Old 01-18-2013, 9:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Eh, I like it, but I love AMDs.
Is that the TWS top cover? If so, what do you need the Ultimak for? Have you tried mounting your Aimpoint far forward? I hear they are supposed to stand the heat of the gas tube mount, but I personally would not want to fry one.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 01-18-2013, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I like the AK. It would seem to be a bit front heavy. I am guessing that picture was taken outside of California.
Thank you. Not front heavy at all. In fact, the rifle loaded is very light. It was designed to be that way and I've made sure to keep it so. It is very balanced in weight. The center is brobably the heaviest point. Full mag in line with receiver and Aimpoint. Most weight in the center translates to better maneuverability, like a sword. You are correct, I live in Texas. I am not here to rub your terrible laws in your face. I like this forum. Good people and it's active. Better than ar15.com and that's a national forum. You guys keep on fighting the good fight.

Last edited by MindBeyondAverage; 01-18-2013 at 9:44 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip View Post
Eh, I like it, but I love AMDs.
Is that the TWS top cover? If so, what do you need the Ultimak for? Have you tried mounting your Aimpoint far forward? I hear they are supposed to stand the heat of the gas tube mount, but I personally would not want to fry one.
Yes I have and I don't like it at all. I got the ultimak for options. Primarily for now to mount the light more forward so I can get less muzzle shadow, but it didn't work out cause the edge of the mount hits the side rail.
Old 02-05-2013, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBeyondAverage View Post
Thank you. Not front heavy at all. In fact, the rifle loaded is very light. It was designed to be that way and I've made sure to keep it so. It is very balanced in weight. The center is brobably the heaviest point. Full mag in line with receiver and Aimpoint. Most weight in the center translates to better maneuverability, like a sword. You are correct, I live in Texas. I am not here to rub your terrible laws in your face. I like this forum. Good people and it's active. Better than ar15.com and that's a national forum. You guys keep on fighting the good fight.

MBA, I like what you did with your AMD, and I concurr with what you said; regarding its light weight, loaded.

I chose to go in a different route with building my own AMD, much the same as you did; in order to suit My needs; and it is now my favorite rifle - You may or may not have noticed the Molot Grip, which I modified by removing completely the lower finger-rest and sanding down a bit on the remaining one, in order to better fit my natural hand-grip on the gun.

Fits me like a Glove, and with the Stock deployed, I can keep it balanced and painting the target with one hand; the AMD feeling as an extension of my right arm:

--
Old 02-05-2013, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyAbrams View Post
MBA, I like what you did with your AMD, and I concurr with what you said; regarding its light weight, loaded.

I chose to go in a different route with building my own AMD, much the same as you did; in order to suit My needs; and it is now my favorite rifle - You may or may not have noticed the Molot Grip, which I modified by removing completely the lower finger-rest and sanding down a bit on the remaining one, in order to better fit my natural hand-grip on the gun.

Fits me like a Glove, and with the Stock deployed, I can keep it balanced and painting the target with one hand; the AMD feeling as an extension of my right arm:

--
Wow it's insane how it looks totally different depending on what mag is in it. Is that a magpul forenend modified to fit? Appreciate the compliment. My AMD is very different right now. I added the ultimak lower rail to get my AFG further out and the light further ahead, removed the SR07 cause there is no practical place to mount it for my setup, have a handstop on the left for better control cause there's no thumb over bore on an AK unless you have higher sights, and I have a pignose adapter, receiver extension tube and magpul CTR on the way for a fixed stock setup. I never use the folding feature and the metal bar of the stock can easily be bent or broken. I'll post pics when I get a chance. How do you like that muzzle break on yours?
Old 02-05-2013, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Wow it's insane how it looks totally different depending on what mag is in it. Is that a magpul forenend modified to fit? Appreciate the compliment. My AMD is very different right now. I added the ultimak lower rail to get my AFG further out and the light further ahead, removed the SR07 cause there is no practical place to mount it for my setup, have a handstop on the left for better control cause there's no thumb over bore on an AK unless you have higher sights, and I have a pignose adapter, receiver extension tube and magpul CTR on the way for a fixed stock setup. I never use the folding feature and the metal bar of the stock can easily be bent or broken. I'll post pics when I get a chance. How do you like that muzzle break on yours?
Yes, the mags make a difference; no doubt about it; and it's not just in appearance..

I run several different magazine options on this AMD ( see pics below ) , and for my use, I like the 20-Rounder best.

The "20's" lesser weight makes "the balance" just perfect. It feels weightless and makes it easy to apply it one-handed ( as to sweep an area while holding a flashlight with your left hand, up high; far away from your own Center-mass.)

There is no inertia felt while sweeping. The Rifle stops its arc of travel exactly wherever you want it to stop, with no counter-effort seemingly needed on your part at all.

Hard to describe, but you know what I mean if you've ever wielded a finely balanced edged weapon. Or even a quality Tennis Racket...

And, Good Eye, Sir - Yes; that is a Magpul MOE 870 Shotgun Forend..

This came about because I did not care for either the OEM metal handguard or any of the usual aftermarket AK furniture, so I looked around at varied options to retrofit onto the AMD, ranging from MP5s to G3s; till I hit upon the Magpul. And it proved to be a functional revelation.

The open top allows for excellent barrell-heat dissipation, and the ergos of the 870 Forend are meant for exactly the type of hold we use with these short barreled guns ( I have the 12.5" barrel on mine ).

The Magpul MOE has "Stops" designed at its extremities, which work very well as a natural, intuitive Hand-Stop, especially if you are working with sweaty hands. One less item to worry about in a high stress environment.

So, a Design Feature necessary for working safely the Action on a Shotgun Slider transfers readily to our particular application here..

and as if this all was not enough, the Magpul looks good, too ( IMHO )..

And arguably best of all, it was only $30, shipped to my house ..

Yah, I'm all warm and fuzzy about the Magpul Forend doing Handgaurd duty on my AMD - Can you tell..?

Re: The Muzzle Brake:

It's sort of my own design, in that I needed a 5.5" Barrel extension in order to meet the Fudds "Sweet Sixteen" rule. But I did not want a simple barrel extension or a fake suppressor. I wanted my stuff top be fully functional as both an extension And a Brake, so I commissioned its built based on my design specifics. The Brake is made of Steel. - And; Well...it works OK as a brake, but it is also a Hellacious Fireball Enhancer...and it's Friggen LOUD, too...

Kinda reminds me of those obnoxious Fart Cans the kids put on their Japanese cars...

Here's a couple of pics showing closeups of the Magpul and the Fart-Can.

You may also notice the Integrated Front Sight Base / Gas Block. I had that built for me from the two separate AMD pieces.

And referencing Magazines:

Here, with a Bake-40

And the obligatory Drum:

Last; I recently installed an Attero Optic Mount that retrofits onto the Rear Sight Base. This is a Top Notch piece of equipment, and it places the Optics package nice and Low on the weapon.

Also I got an Israeli Special Forces ( Seyeret ) Sling. I chose this particular sling for three main reasons - First, it is a Battle Proven design by people who face SHTF scenarios all year long...

Second, because it is a Simple, no frills Rig, with no fancy Sliding Buckle Doo-Dads and Bungee Cord Single point crap..

And Third; because it is W-I-D-E.

This sling is a full Two Inches wide, which distributes the weight of the gun over a larger area, and makes it much more comfortable to carry a Rifle all day long, just in case that you find that you must go on a Walkabout out way-past Bummfukk Egypt. It is this sling's most redeeming feature, I think.

I got the sling from Zahal Tactical, a Company in Israel that sells selected military equipment to civilians; which brings me to a recommendation for your issues regarding the lack of a thumb-stop on the Left side.

Check this out; they call it the "VTS"

http://www.zahal.org/products/versat..._parent=218287

http://www.zahal.org/products/ergono..._parent=218287

Their Webstite / On-line Store:
http://www.zahal.org/groups/shop-rifle-accessories

I got my stuff from then in a bit over two weeks time, after I placed my order online. Communication was top notch. I was advised by E-Mail when they received payment, then a day later what my ordfer's status was, and a day after that, a shipping confirmation and Tracking Number.

Good Merchants do this as pro forma, but sometimes, even in best of cases, a few days pass between communications. But these guys were On It: 1, 2, 3; like flies on Shiite.

You never know what to expect when you send your hard earned money halfway around the World; but in this case, I was pleasantly surprised at their prompt responses and attention to detail.

What else can a person ask for reasonably in return for our money..?

They have good stuff, reasonable prices and damn good service.

In my book, they go down as " Good Guys".

Thus, I recommend them highly.

Well, MBA, my apologies for this long diatribe.

I hope that my suggestion on the IDF / Zahal Thumb-Stop proves useful for you...

Take Care, Sir.

B.A.

-
Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 PM

Hahaha! Man! That post was so long and organized, I had to make talking points in order to respond.

As far is the why's as to why we use particular mags: I have chosen to strictly use Tapco waffle mags. Thee primary reason is that my specific setup and way I reload with my gear, calls for them as the best option. If you see the chest rig above, you will notice I mount them upside down. It is the shortest possible way to the mag well and least amount of body manipulation in order to get them there. Since they are mounted upside down, the Tapco waffle form provides for maximum grip, coupled with the HSGI taco mag pouches. They DO NOT budge while jumping, running and all other movement done durring courses, classes, and presumably therefore, a real world scenario. I have a 20 rounder Tapco on my belt and I also have an Israeli steel 30 round mag that I will sometimes use on the belt. All other mags I have tried will move downward slightly and in some cases like the steel mags, almost fall out if it weren't for the locking lugs. Love this setup.

I do know what you mean about wielding a balanced weapon. Long before owning firearms, I have been a martial artist and great balance in weapons was one of, if not the most importan, element in the form of the weapon and form one has using it. This is one thing that carried over into this new love of mine and has helped keep me from making a mistake, or two that I could have made, had it not been for this pre acquired experience.

I must know, HOW THE HELL did you mount that Magpul forend on there?! I installed one on my brother's shotgun, so I know what it looks like in and out and I cannot imagine how you did it. Great job. Do you ever worry about it coming loose in a time when it would be most inconvenient? Now, as far as holding it one handed with a light in the left, have you not considered a dedicated weapon light? Magpul makes a few options for mounting lights using those gaps in the material. My wife uses a Surefire scout M600c with this, http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...prod45205.aspx, with the Magpul handgaurd on her AR15. Just a thought. HA, and yes, you are clearly excited. I get that way too when I come up with something original, that works great, AND looks cool.

The muzzle break is going to be one of the last things I change and I will probably have it custom made at the metal shop I work in. It is owned by my best friend so there will be no finances required and that is a huge plus. I just hope this idea works out. Gonna make it 4.5" so there will be a couple 16th's over that, so called, "sweet 16" rule. Haha. "Fart can". That's a new one.

I actually DID notice the front sight/gas block, but figured it came on there since the stock was different too. I have really been exercising getting one of these, but did not want to waste money on something that could prove to be complicating. I would surely forward you the cash to help me out on this. PM me for that.

I had the Attero Alpha mount with a Burris Fastfire III mounted. LOVED that setup too, but the FF3 couldn't hold up to 7.62x39 and it wasn't just a bad unit, I sent it back, twice. What sight do you plan on using on that rail? Will you get a lower 1/3rd co-witness? BTW, Attero never got back to me on the ****ty front sight they sent me. The dot was off center. I don't think I will buy from them again.

Thank you for the recommendation of the handstop. I have never heard of that company. I may actually buy that handstop cause it looks more ergonomic than the Magpul one I have now. I do like the Magpul handstop though. I almost got the Larue handstop and rail cover set, but the Magpul handstop looked like it had more meat to hang onto and I am not disappointed. The texture is also great. I will not, however, be looking into the AFG from the link. It is a LOT lower than Magpul's, so my hand would be opened a lot more and I want it as clinched as possible. I do like the storage capability but it must be that much bigger in order to have that feature so it kind of cancels itself out, in my book. Overal, linked handstop, YES, linked AFG, nooooo. Looks cool though.

I like that you included thought into your sling too. That is something I did as well. A lot of people will buy certain things, slings especially, for no real reason other than it looks cool, Travis Haley uses it, and whatever els. It took me a while to finally find one that I think is perfect for me. I chose this paracord sling because it has most possible features that any other sling has, and it has all of that paracord in a SHTF situation. It doesn't separate where the full circle meets the 2-3 inch hang, but I don't see that as a necessity. I mostly use it as a single point sling, but there have been times double point was needed. Usually for walking long distances and going up steep inclines. Otherwise, single point works the best for me.

So, here is my weapon as it is now. Forgive the dog torn bathroom pics. It was the one room in the house with the best lighting and I use my iPhone for pics, so I need good natural lighting.

First up is the way it is now...

The previous way was a tad lighter, but I am 6'2 and have LONG arms, so it was very impractical for everything to be that far back. The Ultimak lower rail was a must and I am infinitely satisfied with it.

Here is a photo of it with my CTR propped up against it...

This is also a MUST for me. I do not need a folding feature and it will eventually prove unwise to keep it like this with this particular folding stock. With not much muscle at all, you can bend the bar, so I am afraid it will break off if I fall on it, or wear it out. The bar becomes a nightmare digging into your face after a couple of hundred round. The pad for the shoulder isn't so bad, but it isn't good either. I hate that my wife cannot shoot it, because the stock does not extend. The pignose adapter, receiver extension tube, and castle nut should be in tomorrow, so I should have it mount by the weekend. A stronger configuration absolutely and more comfort and precise fitting. It will also help to level out the weapon further and my fallow up shots will be more accurate. A lot of people don't realize how many aspects of shooting a wire stock changes, until they use one. Since I have gotten used to this configuration, I suspect that my shot placement will be even more consistant and accurate with the one I will have soon. Not that it is a HUGE deal, but you can definitely tell that you have more control with a full and more beefy stock. I guess symmetrical would be a good word to use. Imagine a mass on a stick being pushed against the ground by the weight of gravity, and then imagine a mass on a solid base being subjected to the same conditions. Now tell me which one you think will be more firm, balanced, and controllable. Bet your *** it's the one with the solid base.

Here is a closer pic of my pressure pad...

I had the SR07 setup on the left side on the previous configuration, but I had to do away with it, for now. I JUST got it too! The thing is, is I have the hand stop on the left and the purpose for that being there, out weight in importance to the SR07's purpose. This way, my fingers call right in to the pressure pad, naturally. I COULD mount the SR07 on the right, but I would lose form and chose to have better form over decent form with the on/off feature. I am still considering ways to make it work, but right now, this is the best setup for the use of my light. I could also mount the light on the left with the on/off button but I do not like what it does to my field of view and I don't want it hitting me in the knees when I transition to my secondary. I'm sure I will find a way for it to work. May have to modify the part itself.

This is the Magpul handstop...

Also came with two rail covers and another stop for the rear. I really don't need the one for the rear, but it is a good index point that will aid more in the quick and consistant manipulation of my weapon, placing it in my hands and driving it as exact as possible, every time I pick it up.

Hand placement, left side...

This isn't exactly how it looks, but close. I have the stock in place and taking the pic with my strong hand, so it's close but not exact. This handstop, in conjunction with the AFG, allows me to grip and control the front of the weapon, as if it were made to be an extension of my body. The rear does not actually touch my wrist, although it may seem like it does.

Here is the other side of the weapon. You can see that my fingers fall right onto that pressure pad. The wire is well hidden away and not a problem. The light will not go off unless I intentionally apply pressure to the pad. The SR07 was a real pain to activate, even with direct pressure applied by the finger tips.

Well thanks for the recommendations and GREAT job on your rifle. Certainly is one of the most original ones out there. Mine, on the other hand, is not so original (not so common either, especially where AMD's are concerned), but it is built with specific purpose so that I can use it to the best of my ability. I am very proud of it and I can drive this rifle better than any car. It fits ME like a wetsuit. Keep me up to date with your build and I'll post some progress pics, when I have the stock installed.

Have a good one, Bradley.

P.S. Although I am sure yours is very light, mine is still not too heavy. A wasr 10 weighs 7 pounds unloaded. My AMD still only weighs 8 pounds 9 ounces with a 30 round fully loaded mag. Because of the weight of the rubber on the stock and the stock itself, I presume I will knock a couple of ounces off with the install of the fixed stock. At the end, my rifle will weigh under 9 pounds, loaded. That is damn good.

Hahaha, with all the Magpul I am putting on my rifle, it's starting to look like the "AMD", stands for Another Magpul Device. Haha corny, I know.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:33 PM

Fully loaded with a heavy paracord sling. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360136003.588716.jpg
Old 02-06-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Hahaha! Man! That post was so long and organized, I had to make talking points in order to respond.
< BIg Snippage of your above post - Due to word limits imposed by Cal Guns Site >

MBA, sorry for my drawn-out post...I was trained as an engineer and that simply is the way my brain works.

This often produces overly Tedious, self-indulgent, Pseudo-Anal verbosities maskareding as valid responses; but it is the only method I know of by which to cover technical material via the written word.

Textrbooks are written in much the same methodology..which is why they work so well as sleeping inducers - But enough of this shiite. I'm boring even myself.

Moving On...

OK - I'll Start by saying thank you for your pics - Your AMD is a testament to the notion of "Form and Function."

I will follow by answering your Last point First, lest I forget about including it altogether. -

Re: the AMD appelation -

I don't know if you know this or not, but AMD is an acronym in Hungarian which stands for Automata Modositott Deszant ( Automatic Modified Paratrooper). The "65" is the year it went into production or introduced. IOW, the AMD designation specifes an AKM platform, modified for application by Airborne troops.

So basically what we have are Paratrooper Rifles, and NOT what is the general misinformation floating out there that the AMDs were primarily designed as weapons for Armor Corps troopers. That was a secondary application, and it made sense to deploy a smaller weapon for those who fight from enclosed vehicles.

But the AMD, as it's initials proclaim, was Designed and Built Specifically as a weapon for Parataoopers and Special Operations Personnel who get to work by first jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.. So there ya go..

Re: TAPCO Mags:

I understand your methodology for prioritizing this particular Magazine. It makes total sense, and is brilliant in its simplicity..allow Gravity to do your work for you = ** Very Smart **.

Having said this, I disagree with one aspect of your think-set, though; and it makes the rest moot; as I see it ( BTW, no offense.. ).

This is my explanation: I do Not Care for Chest Rigs.

Chest Rigs get in the way when you are crawling. And for me, crawling is my favorite position from which to engage hostiles. It's just that simple.

I choose to carry my secondary Magazine taped to the First one. If The situation degrades to a point where I need more than two Mags, I am not shooting - I'm running away As fast as I can because someone on my side has fukked the Pooch and blown our cover.. ( this, btw, is my primary reason to work alone )

So, again - If I'm not the Ambusher, then I am the Ambushee, and it is time to get the Fuggouttathere...

Speaking of Magazine; I wrap mine with segments of 20" Bicycle Inner Tube, so that they are silent as they sit side-bty-each in my ammo pouches. Also makes for a good grip surface in humid environments. Everybody just about has Bicycle inner tube junking up room in the garage...Itsa-Cheap Fix.

One of my mags:

Re: My Magpul MOE to AMD Interface:

OK, so because you are familiar with what the Magpul MOE looks like, I don't have to describe it. This will save a lot of wording..

In order to make the Magpul MOE 870 work as a Handguard, the MOE has an internal substructure which must be modified..

So first, I cored out the MAGPUL 870 ForeEnd in order to make it work with my AMD's Barrel & Gas Tube.

The MAGPUL has about 8 "runners" internally which run the length of the MOE. It also has a Semi-Cylindrical "Top" which is designed to envelop the Action Slide of the Remington 870 Shotgun..

First, I took a Dremel to it all and cut out this semi-cylindrical Top, thereby rendering the MAGPUL MOE into a True OPEN TOP Design.

I also removed about 3/4 of the runners, as viewed from the Top on Down., making for a smooth internal wall all along the length of the MAGPUL ForeEnd Grip / Handguard

I left in place the bottom 1/4th part of these "Runners" ( approx. ) which form a rounded profile along the MAGPUL's long axis; a Profile which happens to conform to the AMD's Barrel. on about 30% of the Barrel's Lower Diameter.

Once this was done, it was just a matter of small adjustments with a File for a proper fitting of the Magpul to the AMD.

The Finished result is a relatively compact OPEN TOP Handguard, which exposes the upper 1/3rd of the Gas Tube to Open Air along this Tube's entire length.

The Three Longitudinal, long-oval Side-Ports on either side of the MAGPUL MOE are unencumbered and do not contact any part of the Rifle's Barrel Assembly or the Gas Tube. - Air Flow moves Freely all about the barrel and Gas Tube...

The only points of contact between the MAGPUL MOE and the AMD Carbine are as follows:

1) Starting up in Front, I just used the AMD original Handguard's Front Retainer as an anchoring point..

This is the retainer which holds the original AMD65 Perforated Metal Handguard. I specifically wanted to keep this part as a Mounting-Point for installing this MAGPUL ForeEnd; or any other Hand Guard, for that matter, which I may retrofit in the Future.. For this build, I anchored the MAGPUL securely to the original HandGuard Retainer.with a Machine Screw and Nut ( and flat washer ). This screw threads through the bottom circular port in the AMD's front Handguard retainer.

The AMD's HG Retainer is a good, solid mounting point, and there is no sense in re-inventing the wheel..

I did have to shave OFF the Retainer's Sling Attachment "ring"in order to maintain side-to-side symmetry when fixing the MAGPUL to the Retainer. This is why I webt with the IDF Sayeret Sling and it's Universal Forward Attachement point.

2) Moving Farther back - I made a "U"- shaped, Spring-Steel Pressure-Clip which wedges securely to the runners inside the MAGPUL MOE, and also Clips ONTO the Barrel, right in front of the Barrel Trunnion / below the Rear Sight Base. I used JB Weld to attach the Clip to the MOE. Then I followed with another Screw + Nut.

This coupling makes for one Solid Snap-Fit.

3) I took some aluminum stock and made a "tongue" which is anchored solidly to the two bottom "runners" inside the MAGOPUL and extends about 0.5" inside the AMD's receiver , much as most any regular AK Lower HandGuard fits there.

OK - So, the MAGPUL to AMD65 fitting is IN, and it is SOLID....

4) Next, It was time to make a HEAT SINK to fit between the Handguard and the Barrel, in order to protect the MAGPUL's Polymer component material AND My Hand from the Barrel Heat....

Here I installed a "U" shaped metal Heat Shield between the Barrel and the HG, This Heat Shield runs approximately 75% of the total length of the MAGPUL MOE 870

I used a Heat Shield normally found in applications as a Heat Sink / Thermal Barrier for Electronic SCR Controls.

I had one such Shield left over from a SCR Controller Project I had worked on in the past, so I just took the Metal Shield and modified it to fit my needs and then inserted it in the MAGPUL MOE HandGrip -

The Metal Heat Shield fits tightly anchored against the ( inside) sides the MAGPUL HandGuard, and also cradles the Barrel; but with a 1.50mm air-space gap between the Heat Sink and the Barrel. And that's about it...

FWIW, SCRs put out a LOT of Heat, so the Heat Transfer and Dissipation Property of this metallic Alloy Shield Material is a proven quality.

The Heat Shield material looks ( and functions) like this sample pictured below, only mine is shaped accordingly in order to fit sandwiched between the MAGPUL below and the Barrel above it. It is very malleable material, and will take most any shape you wish to form. Its Vertical sides are trimmed to fit 0.125" below the side ports featured on the MAGPUL ForeEnd.

Dimensions for this Heat Shield are:

Total Length of Metal Heat Shield : 5.375"

Height of Vertical sides: 1.0"

And that is how I did that.

Re: Attached Weapon's Light.

Not for me. I think that If the roles were reversed, and I saw someone looking fior me and they were deploying a weapon Mounted Light, It would make for an Excellent Target.

I would just send a couple of Double-Taps right at the light source. I believe that by holding the light in my free hand, as far away as possible from my own Center Mass, and then following closely the beam sight picture with the Muzzle of my AMD, I am just as effective in illuminating potential hostiles, but without the inherent self-targetting risks which a Gun-Mounted light brings to the table. Again, just my opinion. Free hand to Gun hand coordination is natural to us all. Close your eyes and move your wriasts back and forth; Left to Right. Open your eyes. I bet that both hands are parallel to each other within 2% of your wrist range of motion. I'll take a Pass on the Gun-Mounted light.

Re: Attero Optics Mount:

Mine's OK for now. I have an inexpensive Optic at the moment, but have been saving my Ducats to get an Aimpoint Micro. We will see in due time how it works out in the long term. For now, I'm really liking the Attero.

Re: The Integrated FSB / GB.

I had Pat McHenry do the welding for me. Pat is well known in the AK online community. He;'s a retired Gunsmith who does excellent work. Pat charged me $50 for the job. I paid $25 each for the AMD Front Sight and Gas Block from Desert Fox Outfitters.

Pat's website is below. Pat's another one of those " Good Guys"

http://home.comcast.net/~restoreit1/

Re: The Buttstock issues:

I hear ya about the AMD Buttstock being a "weak Point". This is exactly Why I went with a Triangle Side-Folder. I got mine from AK Builder.

Because I started this AMD Build / project from a Parts Kit, I had certain freedoms of design, such as which Receiver to use in the build..

I chose a Khyber Flat, also from AK Builder. This particular Flat has the design elements needed to attach a Side-Folder Rear trunnion, AND the little Retainer Clip for holding the Triangle Stock solidly in place when it is in its Folded-Up Attitude.

Well, I think that about covers it...

Apologies again for the rambling. BTW, I like your AMD's Charging Handle. Is it DHP's..?

Take it easy, MBA; and as a parting shot, I enclose a funny featuring "Fearless Leader"

---

Last edited by BradleyAbrams; 02-06-2013 at 12:38 PM..
Old 02-07-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Perhaps, but not quite. For one, I don't pretend to have provided security detail in Iraq, or have had to take lives in order to defend my own. It's sad that I have to explain myself over a setup that you cannot see the purpose behind. Although there were other avenues I could have taken in the configuration of my rifle and gear, I didn't and it kind of just ended up this way over the few thousand rounds that I've put through the two weapons. I am a prepper and in the firearms aspect of it, I have put alot of thought into the purpose of them. I have had them setup other ways and found out through running drills and shooting, that those ways were not the way to do it. I have found out over 15 years of martial arts that it is hardly about the tools as much as it is about the man using then, but some things give a good advantage and one would be foolish not to utilize them. What I have here is an AK47 with a rail for my Aimpoint (so that I may remove it quickly in the event it fails me in confrontation), a light (so that I may see in the dark), a grip that feels more comfortable and keeps my hand away from the heat that is generated after putting a few hundred rounds down range, a battery holder to hold a spare for my Aimpoint giving me ten years of battery life in a world where they may no longer be readily available, a funnel that increased my reload time from discharge to battery from 3.6 to 3.2 seconds (and since you're not a ninja, you know every split second counts in a gunfight), some gear so I don't have to dig mags out of the pockets on the side of my cargo pants and can keep my secondary at a ready place where can I quickly deploy it for one of many reasons that would call for doing so, and an American flag because I am a patriot and love what it stands for and intend to defend it if and when necessary (you know like you do when you're out there killing dozens of people when you're on your spy missions). So forgive me if I have not earned my stripes by shedding blood by the gallons but there is nothing wrong with being ready for a time when my tools and the training of them comes. I'm not a gamer, I'm not out to prove how cool I am with my virgin guns on a forum where someone's approval means the world to me. I'm a civilian sheepdog/prepper who values my second amendment rights and the fact that I can have tools that will give me an advantage over guys that love to down folks on the internet, if and when the time comes when I will need them. My rifle and gear are simple. The purpose behind them is what's more complicating. Perhaps you shouldn't pass judgement based off of assumptions. Thanks and God bless.
I'm talking about your knife, not your gun or gears. Peace
Old 02-07-2013, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch_paradox View Post
I'm talking about your knife, not your gun or gears. Peace
HAHAHA! That's a little hard to believe but if so, . That's a chinese piece O' junk. It is sharp as hell though. Thought it'd help the pic. I don't wear it.

I am just about to catch up on some sleep, Bradley. Response when I get my wits.
Old 02-09-2013, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyAbrams View Post
< BIg Snippage of your above post - Due to word limits imposed by Cal Guns Site >
I knew the background behind the AMD, I just didn't know what the abbreviation stood for, so thanks for that knowledge. Now, about chest rigs. What we see a lot is people wearing chest rigs very low. That isn't the proper way to wear them. They are called chest rigs, and not gut rigs, for a reason. They are designed, so that when you are in a prone position, the upper part of your body is usually alway off of the ground. I could understand that you would not want to wear a chest rig with double stacked mags and all other kinds of bulky stuff mounted. What I decided to do what mount 3 single mag pouches. I shoot in the prone position a lot and don't feel them at all. I can also understand the idea that you would rather be the ambusher, but if that is not the case, and you can not get to a safer place quickly, you are going to wish you had more ammo. Some will say, "if you need more ammo, you're probably not gonna make it out". I find no truth in this at all. That's like saying if you need a gun to begin with, you're probably gonna end up using it. Both of these have proven not to be the case in many scenarios home, and abroad. There are also many cases where the ambushed person could not just simply get out, and had to hold of shooters long enough for help to arrive. I would also rather have a team mate or two then go at it alone. I would just be very strict and particular about their abilities and discipline. Man, genius on the mounting of that magpul forend. I had to split the one I installed for my brother as well, so I have seen the inside of that thing and it must have taken some ingenuity to get it to work. Bravo! There are a lot of people that feel the same way that you do about the weapon mounted light. I am really on the fence, due to not having combat experience and researching both sides of this debate and both sides make a lot of sense and have a lot of facts to back it. So, I would rather just have one and not need it, then need it and not have it. I don't HAVE to use it but can if a time calls for it. I also cary a hand light so I have options. Which optic are you using at the moment? I got lucky as far as being able to afford my Aimpoint. A time where I had a bit of extra cash, in a time where it had no place to go. So I jumped on it while I could. If and when you do get the Aimpoint, how do you plan on mounting it? The Attero alpha mount and TWS dogleg rail are both great, in my opinion. I can't get used to mounting it further forward on the Ultimak rail. I don't like seeing so much of the unit and so little area through it and also seeing it more in the peripheral of my left eye. So, I would really like to get that sight/gas block made. What is the process of changing it? I finally got the fixed stock mounted on the AMD and boy do I love it. I could take a nap with that kind of cheek weld and the weapon fills perfect now. Every time I bring it up, my body response more consistently then it did with the wire stock, in that my cheek goes to the same spot, the sock feels perfect in the just the right spot on my upper chest/shoulder area and it gave me a custom LOP that even effects the way I hold it out in front. LOVE IT! Now I need to find a way to mount a sling to it. There are a lot of accessories that I can't use to mount it because of how picky I am about where my sling is. I like it single point, right were the receiver extension tube meets the the receiver and I like it on the side, as apposed to the middle like a lot of these mounts come. The CTR has a hole for a quick release mount but that is just to high on the stock for me. It HAS to be around a third in. Well, here is the updated pic. Thank's for all of the new info.

Old 02-09-2013, 5:27 PM

Quote:
< snip > Now, about chest rigs. What we see a lot is people wearing chest rigs very low. That isn't the proper way to wear them. They are called chest rigs, and not gut rigs, for a reason. < snip >. There are also many cases where the ambushed person could not just simply get out, and had to hold of shooters long enough for help to arrive. I would also rather have a team mate or two then go at it alone. I would just be very strict and particular about their abilities and discipline. < snip > Which optic are you using at the moment?

Re: My optics - At the present time are these. .

They offer a WIDE sight-picture. Variable intensity. Green / Red - 3 MOA Target Dot

They'll do till I get a Vortex Razor

http://swfa.com/Vortex-Razor-Red-Dot-Sight-P51704.aspx

Re: Chest Rigs. I just feel that they are not for me. I like to carry the weight lower, and I want my frontal torso as unencumbered as possible. Also, I like to get L-O-W, to meld into the surface I am traversing.

This one pictured below is my preferred rig:
( BTW, this and the other equipt listed farther down is IDF, because 'tis the gear with which I am most familiar ):

With 2-Single and 2-double mag pouches, coupled to my twin 20-rd 'zines in the Carbine, this makes 8 mags, total. The two single pouches hold 20-rdrs, the Doubles carry 2ea 30-rounders.. Any more than that and, from personal experience, it gets HEAVY. BTW, that's 200 rounds of 7.62X39 in this ammo loadout..Also add a couple of bags for battle dressings, monocular, comm gear and munchies..If I feel the need, I may throw in an extra 40-round mag, for insurance.

For Hydration, a collapsible container:

I also carry my 9mm Browning Hi-Power in this ( + 2 xtra mags ):

If I'm going "Fast & Light" on an Overnighter, I'll throw this on ( extra water, munchables, socks ):

If I foresee a more extended walkabout, this one gets the call, with extra everything, from batteries to a water purifying kit to tampons:

For anything lasting foreseably more than 5 days, all bets are Off. I'll just forage along the way, as needed.

BTW, I am not a fan of Static Defensive positions. I would rather always be on the move, employing maximum Noise Discipline as much as circumstances allow; engaging only when absolutely necessary and specifically if circumstances are heavily in my favor. IOW, our best Defense is a Stealthy Offense.

You typical Age-Old Guerilla Tactics deployed against a numerically superior opponent.

And if you go at it alone or in a 2-4 man Team;, you are almost always at a numerical disadvantage.

But, as you know; this is not necessarily a Net Negative - Think of Snipers / Observers or small Recondo Teams.

They almost always move on to fight another day.

And, BTW, Sometimes my planned Loadout is Not AMD-Centric.

Sometimes circumstances may dictate that this guy gets the call ( Savage 10PC - .308 )

Well, that's about it for now..

Take care, MBA.

Last edited by BradleyAbrams; 02-09-2013 at 6:51 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 7:42 AM

Yea, I like mini red dots like those. Gonna put one on my shotgun. You sure a Vortex Razor will stand up to 7.62x39? I have never tried one but in my search for a good dot, before I got the FF3, I read a lot of bad things abou them. Why not spend a tad bit more on an Aimpoint Micro? The only micro dot I have read that has zero problems on AK's and overall, is the Delta. You look like you got your stuff together as far as knowing what to equip yourself with and when. I don't have all of the stuff I need, yet. Now that I am 98% finished with my build, I can work on getting it all. I am going to adapt a hydration pouch to work with my chest rig. Hopefully one with some carrying space. I also want to adapt my chest rig and belt to work with a bigger backpack. It will just take some cutting and sewing. I do that stuff all of the time so I am looking forward to it. I think I sew better than my wife now. Very nice rifle. Now that some of my other weapons are finished, AMD being the biggest project, I would love to get me a Remington 700 and spend some money on getting that up to par, and some time getting myself up to par behind it. I was thinking about another purchase this month, maybe I'll just have to get it. Tempting, tempting. Good chatting with you, Bradley. Take care.
Old 02-10-2013, 8:23 AM

what part of texas do you live in? theres several of us out here.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNP45TACTICAL View Post
what part of texas do you live in? theres several of us out here.
El Paso. You?