Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-16-2013, 1:28 PM

Default Today, I defiled 4 rebuild kits.

Blocked 2 for my PX4 Storm and 2 for my AR-x39.

Right now the epoxy is hardening, and I am sad... Not just for the loss of these now enslaved magazines, but for the freedom that was taken from the free united states along with them. I was keeping these for trips when I leave the Peoples Republic of Kommifornistan, to the free states of Oregon and Washington. Now I will not be able to use them even there, and as such, they have joined my other lonely prisoners.

Rest In Peace. (I'll post pics and measurements for blocking x39 30 rd mags if anyone wants them)

By the way, I am still fighting, signing petitions and making calls, and planning on attending the march at the capitol on the 19th. We haven't lost everything yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread

Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!

Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.

Last edited by sharxbyte; 01-16-2013 at 1:31 PM..
Old 01-16-2013, 6:32 PM

Why did you epoxy them? Did you put a block in them?
Old 01-16-2013, 7:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

No epoxy needed. Not horribly hard to remove either.
Just make sure they are blocked for appropriate use and you are gtg.
Old 01-16-2013, 9:35 PM

Yes they are blocked. don't they need to be permanently modified to accept only 10 rds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread

Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!

Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.
Old 01-16-2013, 9:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

No definition of "permanent ". Plus If you remove the block you have a parts kit, not a hi cap.
Old 01-16-2013, 9:45 PM

I believe permanent in the same way that your magazine cannot be removed... I.E. requiring a tool of some sort. Don't quote me.
"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailflintlocks View Post
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....
Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 PM

Epoxy is for the tinfoil hat crowd. There's no definition of permanent. Mag blocks installed are fine.

Since you'll be using these as a "fixed magazine rifle" with the addition of a bullet button, you're doubly fine. You don't have to epoxy the end on your shotgun magazine for the same reason.

-W
Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsnuffer View Post
Epoxy is for the tinfoil hat crowd. There's no definition of permanent. Mag blocks installed are fine.

Since you'll be using these as a "fixed magazine rifle" with the addition of a bullet button, you're doubly fine. You don't have to epoxy the end on your shotgun magazine for the same reason.

-W
I dunno it all comes down to a Jury, and their definition of permanent. I don't think they would consider an easily removable block, permanent, but they might.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

-W
Setting aside the tinfoil, the CA DOJ does rely on definitions from the Federal ATF (IE- definition/classification of muzzlebreaks vs flash hiders, etc). Permanence is defined there, even though it is not expressly stated in CA law.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 PM
Calguns Addict

The horror! If we could bow our heads for a moment of silence...
GP100 6" stainless
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 34" ported barrels & removable Chokes
BT-99 with 34" ported barrel, adjustable comb, removable chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 PM

a pin in the floorplate, while hard to remove would be fine, but epoxy is def. permanent.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Epoxy is NOT permanent. I just helped a buddy remove some to make rebuilds just yesterday. Nothing a heat gun and some elbow grease can't solve.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 PM

If you are sad now... just wait till you have to block them again, to 7 or less rounds.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

This ain't New York.
Old 01-17-2013, 7:26 AM

New York City?
Get a rope!

Quote:
First thing I would do is jump to a conclusion without all the facts.

Last edited by Cactus_Tim; 01-17-2013 at 7:30 AM..
Old 01-17-2013, 7:41 AM

The federal ban on hi caps hasn't passed yet. That has to go through he house and senate.
Old 01-17-2013, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
I dunno it all comes down to a Jury, and their definition of permanent. I don't think they would consider an easily removable block, permanent, but they might.
It's super simple. It's legal to own the parts. Once assembled with a block, there is no way to get an 11th round in the mag. It is permanently stuck at no more than 10. If it's disassembled it's once again a pile of legal parts.

So the classic "DA in front of a jury trying to get you convicted" scenario. DA takes a legal pile of parts, assembles the mag with the block, and now has what you had. A mag that can't take more than 10 rounds. The DA disassembles it into a legal pile of parts once again and then reassembles without the block trying to show an illegal configuration..... except that you never had it in that configuration. Not guilty, everyone goes home.
Old 01-17-2013, 8:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsarefun View Post
It's super simple. It's legal to own the parts. Once assembled with a block, there is no way to get an 11th round in the mag. It is permanently stuck at no more than 10. If it's disassembled it's once again a pile of legal parts.

So the classic "DA in front of a jury trying to get you convicted" scenario. DA takes a legal pile of parts, assembles the mag with the block, and now has what you had. A mag that can't take more than 10 rounds. The DA disassembles it into a legal pile of parts once again and then reassembles without the block trying to show an illegal configuration..... except that you never had it in that configuration. Not guilty, everyone goes home.
if they can remove the block from the mag without any tools I don't think it is permanent. If you can without any tools dissemble into parts then reassemble into a 30 rounder, the modification done might not and probably would not be defined as permanent. I'd rather not chance getting a felony, losing my job, and house, and possibly jail time over neglecting to pop in a rivet.
Old 01-17-2013, 8:51 AM

You're forgetting the fact that you're talking about a fixed magazine rifle at this point. The magazine is permanently attached to the rifle. A tool must be used to remove the magazine from the rifle.

-W
Old 01-17-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post
This ain't New York.
Unfortunately it is Kalifornia though.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You're forgetting the fact that you're talking about a fixed magazine rifle at this point. The magazine is permanently attached to the rifle. A tool must be used to remove the magazine from the rifle.

-W
1) You don't have necessarily to remove the magazine to pull off the plate and remove the block.
2) The hi capacity magazine law is separate from the AW law, in that the magazine does not need to be attached to the rifle to make it illegal. Yea, it's pretty impossible to prove in the context of just owning an illegal magazine, but again don't plan on the Jury being standard ("high") capacity magazine owners, or understanding the loop holes.

The definition of "permanent" is what is really up in the air, if you think just having a block makes it permanent enough, fine, just realize that when it comes to being judged by others your interpretation isn't the one that matters. Now is riveted still considered permanent? Is epoxied? It's all up for interpretation, but I do feel that most people would consider those modifications to be permanent so that is that I would continue to do.
Old 01-17-2013, 2:12 PM

Quote:
if they can remove the block from the mag without any tools I don't think it is permanent. If you can without any tools dissemble into parts then reassemble into a 30 rounder, the modification done might not and probably would not be defined as permanent. I'd rather not chance getting a felony, losing my job, and house, and possibly jail time over neglecting to pop in a rivet.
If I were to make 10 rd magazines, I'd use the magpul blockers. Since they replace the standard 30rd part, if you go out without that extra piece you removed and replaced, there is no way to disassemble and reassemble them into >10rders. I think epoxy and pins are overkill.

I had to remove the epoxy on a 10rd magazine that was blocked with some acrylic plastic that had come loose inside, thus making it a 25 rounder. Didn't take more than 25s second with a knife to cut through the epoxy layer and pry the base plate off. If a jury is so against you that having to disassemble the magazine and remove a block isn't permanent, the extra 25 seconds to use a knife to cut the epoxy isn't going to help you either.

Last edited by rritterson; 01-17-2013 at 2:17 PM..
Old 01-17-2013, 4:09 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Way to go noob :-p
Old 01-17-2013, 7:32 PM

Quote:
I think the only topic debated more than what "permanent" is, is "AR vs. AK."

And Rritterson made a good point that I had forgotten, when you are using Pmags with their blocks, you actually toss the bottom sping plate. Without that plate, you can't assemble it into a functioning magazine without the block anyway.