Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-14-2013, 8:40 PM

Default Nickel Boron BCG or Black BCG

What do you guys think is it wort paying $60 for a Nickel Boron BCG or they are all the same?
Old 01-14-2013, 8:54 PM

YEs....love my NIB-X BCG from Core15. Just don't get the Rguns version.

NiB is the "old" style of coating. Supposedly NiB-X is a new and improved version.

You can read more about NiB-X here... http://www.wmdguns.com/content.cfm?cmd=66

Last edited by pc_load_letter; 01-14-2013 at 8:58 PM..
Old 01-14-2013, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_load_letter View Post
YEs....love my NIB-X BCG from Core15. Just don't get the Rguns version.
Why not from RGuns it looks like they are the only ones that have BCG in stock?

my park one runs 100% I don't know how u could improve that. Maybe if you like the look or want to be able to clean it quicker. Either way I'd rather spend the extra money on ammo or mags
Veteran Member

Interested to know also?
Old 01-14-2013, 8:58 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a NiB and a regular BCG. They both function perfectly so it comes down to what you like. The NiB is much easier to clean and requires less lube than the regular one which is why I got it. I picked up mine from RifleGear before the madness set in for $209 - about $50 more than a standard one. In my opinion it is worth the investment. Just avoid R Guns NiB BCGs, they are more miss than hit (search the forums here or Google it to see all of the bad reviews). Their regular ones seem ok, Mossy Man has one and likes it.

Last edited by Enfield47; 01-14-2013 at 9:01 PM.. Reason: Fixed typos
Old 01-14-2013, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfield47 View Post
I have a NiB and a regular BCG. They both function perfectly so it comes down to what you like. The NiB is much easier to clean and requires less lube than the regular one which is why I got it. I picked up mine from RifleGear before the madness set in for $209 - about $50 more than a standard one. In my opinion it is worth the investment. Just avoid R Guns NiB BCGs, they are more miss than hit (search the forums here or Google it to see all of the bad reviews). Their regular ones seem ok, Mossy Man has one and likes it.
Cool I will take your word for it and I just ordered a regular one (black) for $115 hopefully they are not full of crap and ship it within 2 weeks like they promised on their website. I also hope its not out of stock because it does not say anything about being out of stock.
Old 01-14-2013, 9:18 PM

I placed a order with rguns for a "instock" BCG 3 weeks ago..

Still no BCG.. So whoever told you they were "instock" is a retard..
And when I placed my order it said they were a week behind.. Now there site says 4 weeks
Old 01-14-2013, 9:21 PM
Veteran Member

Rguns sucks, I'm cancelling payment on my credit card to them, they haven't responded to any of my emails or phone calls. I ordered about 3 weeks ago as well for something "in stock"; serious crap. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2013, 9:34 PM

Is dis coloring normal on NiB BCG, not like peeling just dark carbon look In Some areas.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

If Aim Surplus has the RGuns NiB BCG in stock, order it from them. Early ones had issues with the coating flaking off. No longer an issue.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:11 PM

Get a normal parkerized BCG and frog lube it. Easy clean up and you don't have to worry about extra lube!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 PM

nib bcgs should not be used with any lube. lube will only make it dirty and it will run more rough.

why go nib if you need to lube?

I've tried with and without lube, and running with no lube performs and cleans better. it's worth the extra amount of 40-60 bucks. make sure u pick up a name brand one. a buddy of mine ran a nib bcg that was from a non name brand (cheap brand) and had multiple ftes in less than 20 rounds.
Old 01-15-2013, 5:49 AM

Location: I live in the east bay of the republic of kalifornikazicommie-nia nation

doesnt it make you wonde, why, in these times, they are the only ones with bcg's in stock? On a plus side tho, even rguns bcg's are goin for almost $500 on ebay....lol thought about buyin 10 just for ebay!! lol

You're better of with a $400 .308 unless you plan on taking out taliban from 2000 yards away haha
Old 01-15-2013, 7:06 AM
Veteran Member

Before we settled on a carrier to offer standardized with our uppers we extensively tried the 3 major finishes (park'ed, chromed, and NiB). What I found was that chrome and NiB carriers did not enhance reliability at all with a properly lubed carrier. Without lube, proper function was impaired with all 3, but less so with the chrome and NiB coated Bcg's.

It is significantly easier to clean both the chrome and NiB carriers after excessive use than it is the phosphated carriers. In fact, I would even say that chrome may have been the easiest, but I can not say that with 100% confidence. My NiB sample without lube had some areas with gunk that stuck pretty well.

NiB has the best corrosion protection of the 3, with chrome coming in 2nd. Nitrided Bcg's have even better corrosion resistance than NiB. But this is misleading. In order to function properly under extended use all 3 must be lubed (despite some advertisers claims). This lube provides a very good protective barrier against corroding elements. Since the majority of users keep their Bcg's at least partially lubed, serious, detrimental, corrosion of the bcg is rare if not entirely non-existent in the majority of AR15 Bcg's that I look at, no matter what the carrier type.

From this we settled on chrome for our purposes as it offered the best cost to performance ratio. We can obtain chrome bcg's for less that NiB bcg's and the real world performance is equal in our eyes. NiB is a great finish coating and those who chose it will not be dissapoonted if it is from a reputable source, it just may not be necessarily cost effective.

Last edited by chicoredneck; 01-15-2013 at 7:40 AM..
Old 01-15-2013, 7:32 AM

NiB all day long...

1. They are easier to clean, no doubt.

2. Run them with lube. Well lubricated, combined with the NiB coating = LONG life for the upper receiver and bolt itself. Everything wears slower.

3. Bolts like the Fail Zero, give you a matching NiB hammer. That hammer also wears slower, and usually will improve the feel of a standard milspec trigger.