Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:34 PM

Default Burning out (or maybe just dimly lit)

Anybody suffer from burn-out?

Last edited by skunkbad; 07-07-2013 at 1:04 PM..
Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 PM

Sounds like you're a workaholic.

We get 2-3 weeks of time off per year, excluding company holidays.
How that time is used varies person to person.

If you feel burned out, you should take off at least 2 weeks.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 PM

Sounds like you're a workaholic.

We get 2-3 weeks of time off per year, excluding company holidays.
How that time is used varies person to person.

If you feel burned out, you should take off at least 2 weeks.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Yeah, THAT is the ticket, with your habits it sounds like you will take two weeks off and come back with a new C++ under your belt...

:O

How hard was it to get to where you are? I was wanting to start getting into BETTER webpage design because I am old school and Chino FISH and GAME + RPD + RCOHAZMAT + ATF made me afraid to get back to dabbling with html + javascript... (cause I am old school gangsta like dat!)

But how did you learn php and all? Just read a website/tuts or a book or actually have a degree in comp science with programming or took classes at a jc or what?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:49 AM

Guilty for taking time off? Probably depends if you're running the company or working for the man . I have a similar background as you and my recommendation would be to find a workable pace, a rhythm between making money to live / retire and having fun. Lines get blurred for those of us who enjoy coding or being behind a comouter screen, as the saying goes, as long as you are happy...

Personally, I think occasional downtime is important, traveling and new experiences have opened my eyes to new projects I otherwise wouldn't have cnsidered. As an example, after busting my *** the past ten years in IT, I quit my last job (of which I was there for six years) , packed up my truck, dirtbike and dog and spent the summer exploring the Yukon, Alaska and all over. 14,000 miles later I'm home and trying to kickstart my own startup

Be inspired and enjoy what you can.

Last edited by teebes; 01-21-2013 at 12:51 AM..
Old 01-21-2013, 2:26 PM

You need to find the balance that works for you, but it sounds like maybe you are just finding your current routine a little dull.

Personally I found that I enjoyed 3 day weekends much more than 2 week vacations, unless I was traveling out of the local area.

No idea what is close for you but I did 4 days in a (really nice) cabin in Yosemite last April - fixed my attitude for a least 3 or 4 months.
Old 01-21-2013, 2:55 PM
CGSSA Associate

slogging through "the busy work" can be soul crushing. Since last year or so I essentially adopted a "help me help you" policy and I send project requests back to the related business units until a fully developed plan and maintenance operation is specced out. Once that happens, then my team and I can sort out and be the creative types we are : sorting out UX / UI / and how to minimize request / response times and the numbers of them made.

I still get burnt out a bit here and there but what really helped me was saying "no, thats not how we're going to do this - instead we are going to do <insert> because it will be a better product and actually enjoyable to produce"

been working so far - everyone on my team has been pretty energized about their job and it gives them a sense of actual involvement in the result instead of "make some html, drink some coffee, eat lunch, go home and drink yourself to sleep" ( )

also - 2-3weeks depending on tenure. I work 40-50hr weeks, no side job ( i dont even take free lance anymore because its stressful and rarely rewarding, creatively )
Old 02-11-2013, 1:20 AM
Veteran Member

You need to be able to enjoy the money you earn from work, otherwise you'll burn out quickly. For vacation, I like to go somewhere nice and quiet and work on my hobbies such as photography. For longer (eg. 5 days or more) time off, I prefer to go overseas.

I like nice, well equipped hotels and that generally more quiet than others. If you're like me, beware of hotels that rowdy crowds like to gather. They are usually cheaper (eg. around $200 a night) and still close to city centers, try to avoid those if you want a quiet vacation.

Most of my family are overseas, so if wife and I don't feel like going anywhere else, we'll fly out and visit my family and I'll use the chance to have a drink with my brothers.
Old 02-11-2013, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkbad View Post
I'd really like to go to Israel. My passport has expired though, so I'll need to get that taken care of. Have you ever been there?
Yes, you can't work in high tech and not been in Israel.

We usually stay in the hotels by the beach in Tel-Aviv, pretty nice. There are a number of bars by the beach where you can sit, order drinks and watch beautiful people walk around.

Dead Sea is also pretty interesting, worth a day trip. Here's a pic I took from one of the resort establishment, Golden Tulip, in that area: