Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 12-09-2012, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nclash86 View Post
dude dont tell me theres a 14 month wait to just simply add dependants. I just sent in the electronic form on ebenefits to add my daughter onto my disability. I can't believe the crazy wait. I'm glad my initial claim only took me 6 months or so to do and I thought that was ridiculous in 2009. Might as well try and add my tinnitus while I'm at it.
Sorry, man. Good luck. My claim is processed through the Seattle office, since that's where I did my ETS paperwork.

And it's not like I went out and got some new kids. These are the same ones that have been in their records for ten years. Somebody just needs to type in three SSN's and hit Enter. For that, I'm waiting almost a year and a half.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Damn, hearing your wait time feels like a punch in the gut. If mine goes for that long I guess the only sweet thing would be backpay.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 PM

Mine was just over 10 months till I got a deposit in my checking account. It may have taken longer because I opted for the direct deposit. But it is a waiting game my buddy is going on 4 year wait because he is dragging his feet. They (VA) won't push you along.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Calguns Addict

You only get backpay if you apply within one year of discharge. Hurry! I missed out.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nclash86 View Post
Damn, hearing your wait time feels like a punch in the gut. If mine goes for that long I guess the only sweet thing would be backpay.
Yep, I'm gonna be looking at somewhere around 8-10k when they finally get my paperwork done.

Tax free and none goes to the ex. HA.

Small consolation right now.
Old 12-10-2012, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

Way back in 05 when I applied I got back pay.....to the tune of 27k! So for you guys waiting longer im sure it will be way more.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain82 View Post
Way back in 05 when I applied I got back pay.....to the tune of 27k! So for you guys waiting longer im sure it will be way more.
Holy **** man got any more info? What was your percentage and how long did you wait?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:11 PM

Still waiting on mine 6 months and counting. Was told March now
Old 12-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba Steve33 View Post
Holy **** man got any more info? What was your percentage and how long did you wait?
it took 6-7 months from when i applied. i applied within my first year. i probably applied 6-7 months after i got out. so by the time i got my check it was backpayed all the way to the day i got out. and when you fill your **** out, document the hell out of it. put down everything you can possibly remember. its a lot of paperwork but i think most people just put down the minimal possible so they can get done with it. i got lucky and had some old vietnam vets tell me these tips to filling out your paperwork. they said dont lie just be as honest as you can be no matter how much things hurt and never miss your doctors appointments. the va checks that stuff and they base part of your decision on if you make your appointments because it shows you have problems and are working on them or trying to get as well as you can.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
it took 6-7 months from when i applied. i applied within my first year. i probably applied 6-7 months after i got out. so by the time i got my check it was backpayed all the way to the day i got out. and when you fill your **** out, document the hell out of it. put down everything you can possibly remember. its a lot of paperwork but i think most people just put down the minimal possible so they can get done with it. i got lucky and had some old vietnam vets tell me these tips to filling out your paperwork. they said dont lie just be as honest as you can be no matter how much things hurt and never miss your doctors appointments. the va checks that stuff and they base part of your decision on if you make your appointments because it shows you have problems and are working on them or trying to get as well as you can.
You got 27k for a year of back pay?? I've been waiting over a year since I filed and didn't hold back on the claims.
Old 12-11-2012, 3:41 PM

Been fighting since 2007
Old 12-11-2012, 5:40 PM
Veteran Member

Damn! Did you already get rated and your trying to up it? Or did they tell you you didnt rate. Ive been fighting off and on for about 4-5 years I think for my ears. They gave me 10% for tinnitus but said I had no hearing loss or damage to my ears even though my records show ive had my eardrums blown out. But ive heard they always deny hearing loss.
Old 12-11-2012, 5:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Damn! Did you already get rated and your trying to up it? Or did they tell you you didnt rate. Ive been fighting off and on for about 4-5 years I think for my ears. They gave me 10% for tinnitus but said I had no hearing loss or damage to my ears even though my records show ive had my eardrums blown out. But ive heard they always deny hearing loss.
I'm still waiting for my claim to go through. No idea what I'll be rated at and haven't had any follow up evaluations by the VA (which I'm sure they will do on their own based on some of the things I claimed, like lower back). I'm in school now and after this week the semester is over. I have a number to a lady from the VA who called me about a month ago and told me if I hadn't heard anything in a few weeks to call her and she'd start an investigation. After finals I'm going to give her a call.

I claimed tinnitus and hearing loss as well and have a full history of the hearing loss from before deployment and after, including civilian hearing tests after I got out. My buddy who got out the same time as me already received his ratings and money through Virginia's VA and he only had to wait five months. He DID get approved for the hearing loss so that's good news.

Last edited by Scuba Steve33; 12-11-2012 at 6:40 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 6:33 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I have to go to a civillian doc to get my ears checked out. The va told me my hearing loss is a no go. The second time I went they said you do have hearing loss but not enough for us to give you a rating of even zero. Which is funny because when I went to their hearing evaluation guy (lady) in LA she told me that I had a pretty good amount of hearing loss. She said she would right it up because it was definitely enough for a ratings. And then I requested a copy of her eval and it painted a picture of sunshine and rainbows. So now I have to go get a civillian doc who has nothing to gain from this or lose from giving me a legitimate hearing eval. Good luck on yours.
Old 12-11-2012, 6:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah I have to go to a civillian doc to get my ears checked out. The va told me my hearing loss is a no go. The second time I went they said you do have hearing loss but not enough for us to give you a rating of even zero. Which is funny because when I went to their hearing evaluation guy (lady) in LA she told me that I had a pretty good amount of hearing loss. She said she would right it up because it was definitely enough for a ratings. And then I requested a copy of her eval and it painted a picture of sunshine and rainbows. So now I have to go get a civillian doc who has nothing to gain from this or lose from giving me a legitimate hearing eval. Good luck on yours.
That sucks man, hope it's not too much of a rough road to get your deserved compensation. I'm not living paycheck to paycheck without the disability so I'm in no rush but it would be nice to get and know it went through fine. When that fat check comes I won't be too upset though.
Old 12-15-2012, 2:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Oh man... you guys have some struggles. If things are going this bad , is it it possible for me to apply while im still active ( I have two years left) and just start receiving my disability from them when I get out?

I have 3-4 Pulmonology related issues and documentation for everything from start to current progress as well as a list of medications ive been prescribed and profiles

1)AR15 Aero Precision Skeletonized Lower
2)WW1/WW2 45ACP Ammo
3)WW1 or WW2 era US Army 1911
Pre 1924 preferred (Not Arsenal Refinished)
Old 12-15-2012, 2:58 PM

filed a claim in august for herniated discs in my back, migraine headaches and athsma, got a packet last week from oklahoma asking me to send in LODs, orders, ect. Apparently my packet got sent from Oakland where they are backlogged to hell and sent to OK which is a good thing. Still haven't gone to any appointments or anything though.
Old 12-15-2012, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavis View Post
Oh man... you guys have some struggles. If things are going this bad , is it it possible for me to apply while im still active ( I have two years left) and just start receiving my disability from them when I get out?

I have 3-4 Pulmonology related issues and documentation for everything from start to current progress as well as a list of medications ive been prescribed and profiles
I greatly suggest starting your claim pre-seperation. I did that with mine and the claim went to Salt Lake City where the wait would be less compared to Oakland where mine would have gone, where they are backlogged all to hell as mentioned above.
Old 12-15-2012, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdiver2 View Post
At first I thought that. I have yet to be given 'premium' or ?? status. It says (Or did say 3 months ago when I last logged in) I have to show evidence of I.D at my VA location. too much hassle

I should try logging on again and see if I can do premium now.
It used to require to you register at VA regional office or tricare office ect, which I did not do because I am 5+ hours away from any of those. But earlier this year the VA changed it where it allows you to apply for the Premium account by answering a series of challenge questions such as social, birth date and other stuff I cant remember exactly (been months since i registered on the site).
Old 12-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavis View Post

Every chance you get get any injuries documented. Every tkme you get your srb or medical records make a copy. And when you go to taps before you get out file everything you can with the VA rep that is supposed to be there. And then get copies of that. Dont let them tell you they cant do it because you dont have enough time . They did that to me and I got out. Requested a copy of my records and half the stuff that was in them is gone.now I have to fight for every little thing because all I wanted to do was hurry and get out like everyone else does when they are at the end of their enlistment
Old 12-16-2012, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Every chance you get get any injuries documented. Every tkme you get your srb or medical records make a copy. And when you go to taps before you get out file everything you can with the VA rep that is supposed to be there. And then get copies of that. Dont let them tell you they cant do it because you dont have enough time . They did that to me and I got out. Requested a copy of my records and half the stuff that was in them is gone.now I have to fight for every little thing because all I wanted to do was hurry and get out like everyone else does when they are at the end of their enlistment
Also remember to follow up, I did everything suggested and filed my claim back in 2010 when I left the Army and the Rep that came on post, lost all my documents and never even turned them into the VA.

In memory of Rogelio Antonio Ramirez, August 26th 2007
Saqlawiyah Iraq

"most people quick to go to war haven't seen it."-
unknown

Check out my YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/DJCBX/videos
Old 12-16-2012, 8:49 AM
Veteran Member

Mine took almost a year in 88. Then a review too another year in 2005.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 12-16-2012, 3:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSteveGT View Post
I greatly suggest starting your claim pre-seperation. I did that with mine and the claim went to Salt Lake City where the wait would be less compared to Oakland where mine would have gone, where they are backlogged all to hell as mentioned above.
Not necessarily true. I filed before I got out and have been waiting over a year.
Old 12-16-2012, 8:40 PM

11 Months.
Old 12-21-2012, 5:39 PM
Calguns Addict

got my rating back in 03, is there any reason or chance to up the rating and what would it entail?
Old 12-21-2012, 6:22 PM

6 months for me, had the DAV do it, 2 years for my wife, she did it on her own first, at one year had the DAV help her and it was done a year later.

Good luck!!

Commander of Front Sight Member
Old 01-02-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
got my rating back in 03, is there any reason or chance to up the rating and what would it entail?
You can go to your Veterans Service Office and they can give you the correct form and submit the evidence to the correct compensation and pension personnel for you.
When filing for an increase you will want to have additional evidence such as medical records and letters from provider summarizing and vouching for the condition, in order to help verify the condition merits additional compensation.
I filed for an increase for PTSD. I utilized the Vet Center for multiple appointments to develop and demonstrate an ongoing record of being affected by the condition to a higher extent then what I was previously being compensated for. Then I had one of their providers write up a formal letter in a commonly used format to convincingly suggest that my rating needed to be reevaluated for increase.
Theres a lot of conditions for someone to ask an increase for. For example PTSD; the Compensation and Pension raters are trained to figure out what level of compensation you deserve based on curriculum that analyzes to what extent the condition is affecting you. http://www.vva.org/ptsd_levels.html

If you want an increase, then you need to do some homework and find out what symptoms, signs and frequency coincides with what percentage of compensation you think you deserve for the condition, then ensure that you have records that reflect that level of symptoms and frequency. Also be ready to reflect that severity of condition, if they want another Comp and Pen exam.

The increases, I am told, take longer then the original claim process. (Years sometimes). So the sooner you get the process started the better.

Last edited by MustangSteveGT; 01-02-2013 at 10:59 PM..
Old 01-04-2013, 12:11 PM

Just pushed my completion date back from 2/3/13 to 4/8/13 yay!

17 months and counting

Saqlawiyah Iraq

unknown

Old 01-05-2013, 6:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Mine took about 7 months but it was back in 2005.
Old 01-05-2013, 8:29 AM

Mine took 4 months start to finish . And I mean from filing to having backpay check in hand and rating letter.
Old 01-13-2013, 3:30 PM
Calguns Addict

In my experience, a lot of it has to do with having a doctor who fills out the forms and states things properly.

Two vets could have the exact same condition, same resulting life impairment, and apply on the same date.

I understand that the VA raters aren't trained medical professionals, so the condition needs to be presented in a certain framework for them to be able to quantify things.

I'd also highly suggest getting assistance from a Veterans Service Officer, the DAV, or some other organization. They are familiar with the process and it's good to have an experienced pair of eyes look over your paperwork.

Last edited by TonyNorCal; 01-13-2013 at 3:37 PM..
Old 01-13-2013, 4:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm 20% and have issues, a buddy is 30% and an active fireman!
Old 01-13-2013, 6:16 PM

So I'm curious on opinions. I separated 10 months ago and never went to the VA for a claim. I have only a few things in my medical records (I don't have copies) and was wondering if its even worth my time trying to get a rating done?
Old 01-13-2013, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodkill View Post
So I'm curious on opinions. I separated 10 months ago and never went to the VA for a claim. I have only a few things in my medical records (I don't have copies) and was wondering if its even worth my time trying to get a rating done?
It cant hurt.

Saqlawiyah Iraq

unknown

Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Yes it is worth it. Even if you only get rated 0% and don't get a monthly payment for it, the VA will still cover the total bill for future exams and meds relating to the service connected condition.

Thus saving you medical and prescription med bills in the future. Which in essence, is what its all about anyways. That, and compensating you for the impact on your job, your ability/inability to work due to your service related condition.

It is never a quick process. So the sooner you start the better.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 PM

Seventeen months now, and that's just to update my dependents.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
if you get it done before your year mark and they give you a rating lets say 12 months from now you will get backed paid to the day you got out so almost 2 years of back pay at whatever rating you are at.
Old 01-17-2013, 3:47 PM

Just pushed my completion date to July
Prep for decision

Last edited by todd2968; 01-17-2013 at 3:50 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 3:29 PM

Also, I didnt see the VA Claim Status phone number posted in this thread when I scanned over it. 1-800-827-1000. Follow the prompts on there. When you get to the option to "talk to a counselor/representative" chances are the system will automatically be overloaded if you call during working hours. What you want to do is call at night after working hours, return to that menu, then select a scheduled call back time.
When you do talk to one of the 800 number representatives, they can tell you most of what the eBenefits website can, or your local CA Veterans Service Officer can tell you about your claim's status. They can tell you ways to submit evidense and explain what certain things mean regarding what you may be reading on eBenefits website or receiving in the update mail letters.
A lot of the things a representative at this 1-800 phone number can tell you is no more than what your local Veterans Service Officer can explain or get access to.
I use it for general inquiries that I don't mind scheduling appointment calls for and waiting.
Use the Vet Service Officers as much as possible because they get their funding and we get to keep them as a resource as long as you guys keep using them.
Old 01-23-2013, 3:51 PM

My status just moved to 2nd to last prep for notification. Hope it comes this week