Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:39 PM

Default San Andreas Fault

Well hell, I was just reading this LA times article on how a statewide quake IS possible: http://www.latimes.com/news/science/...,6874491.story

I found a map that roughly shows the faultline across the state imposed on a Google map: http://geology.com/san-andreas-fault/

Looking at that map has me rethinking any type of (last resort) bugout in that scenario, I had always planned bugging in until supplies ran dry (2 -12 mo worth depending on who shows up empty handed and mooches). If a major statewide quake did hit, peoples plans to travel either northbound or southbound would be pretty much useless. That would only leave the options of bailing out to sea or going eastbound.

From the looks of it unless you are already east of Palmdale, Hesperia, or Indio, SoCal is pretty much screwed for getting out via any eastbound route except for maybe the 8 Fwy down through El Centro. Getting down that way is another matter entirely.
Old 01-10-2013, 4:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

here is more information... http://earthquake.usgs.gov/hazards/qfaults/google.php
the El Centro route may not work either, there are fault lines everywhere.
Old 01-10-2013, 5:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The one true fact is we will have a major earthquake the question is when. That no one knows.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 01-10-2013, 6:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Guess I'm lucky..... I live 80 yards east of the San Andreas fault up in Wrightwood.....I should not have a problem bugging put eastwards, right?

Old 01-10-2013, 6:20 AM

That is why I keep this old surplus bridgelayer in the back yard next to the shed

Dont you have one?
Old 01-10-2013, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyvale View Post
Guess I'm lucky..... I live 80 yards east of the San Andreas fault up in Wrightwood.....I should not have a problem bugging put eastwards, right?

You may be bugging up rather than out

H
H
H
H
H
H
Old 01-10-2013, 6:50 AM
Calguns Addict

in 3 million years Los Angeles will be a suburb of san francisco

For sale RARE OFF ROSTER -XDs 3.3 9mm stainless, HK USP45 Combat Competition FDE, Walther PPQ9 First Edition -SG Valley
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1186451
Old 01-10-2013, 9:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Politically speaking, just think how much better off this state would be if everything left of the that line DID fall into the ocean....I kid I kid! Just a joke ;-)
Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJetter View Post
Politically speaking, just think how much better off this state would be if everything left of the that line DID fall into the ocean....I kid I kid! Just a joke ;-)
Hey now! I'm a couple hundred yards west of the fault.

Here I am.
Old 01-10-2013, 3:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Hey now! I'm a couple hundred yards west of the fault.
I look to be about 2 miles west of it.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 01-10-2013, 3:36 PM

If it does rip with a 9.0+ then the intensity of damage at any one point might not change but the area that gets hit with that same level of damage will be much much greater...kinda like the difference between a nasty tornado and a nasty hurricane: one's a football field across, the other is 300 miles across. A lot of y'all out there, myself included need to worry more about the littler faults like the Newport-Inglewood, Hayward, Palos Verdes, Garlock faults etc etc.

I installed a seismic gas shutoff valve to my place as one prep and did some seismic retrofitting with Simpson Strong Tie hardware as another. Still gotta do my mom's place and preach to the inlaws about theirs.
Old 01-10-2013, 4:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saym14 View Post
in 3 million years Los Angeles will be a suburb of san francisco
i thought it was more than that. somewhere around 20 million years. it was years ago when i saw a little graphic about it.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 01-10-2013, 4:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If at work I would ride it our and try to head home as best I can. Once home I would hunker down/clean up/help my family and neighbors as best I can. There's pretty much no escaping earthquake faults in Southern California

Old 01-10-2013, 5:34 PM

There is a glaring lack of San Andreas fault disaster fiction or any west coast specific stories of disaster. Most of those disaster fiction are written about back east. I find such stories can come up with potential scenarios I've not thought about. What potential scenarios can you come up with that we might have to deal with? Will the western portion of the fault just sink into the Pacific or will it become an island like Catalina? Will the resulting tsunami be big enough to wipe out the new "Hemet" coastline to fifty miles inland? What if you lived on that western portion? How would a family prepare to survive such a devastating event? Or is there no prep possible and survival pretty much impossible? The possibilities are mind boggling. How about sharing some scenarios you can come up with, maybe we can learn something or stimulate ideas for prep.
Old 01-10-2013, 5:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJetter View Post
Wow, that means I'd have beach front property!
Old 01-10-2013, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Wow, that means I'd have beach front property!
Yeah, I was hoping I would have the same thing... Sadly I'm west of the damn fault...
Old 01-10-2013, 9:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There is a glaring lack of San Andreas fault disaster fiction or any west coast specific stories of disaster...
check out Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, about a comet strike, but the San Andreas does let go... and the story is mostly West Coast based

Will the western portion of the fault just sink into the Pacific or will it become an island like Catalina?
Not likely... things would be much as they are now, just a lot less buildings around. I am fairly certain that the fault line is not capable of that level of destruction...

Will the resulting tsunami be big enough to wipe out the new "Hemet" coastline to fifty miles inland?
Again... not likely to have that level of destruction... the coast is not going to fall in the ocean... besides, the tsunami would be heading towards Japan and Hawaii... not inland.

What if you lived on that western portion?
Can you say Rock and Roll??? depending on how hard it lets loose, the damage could be significant...

How would a family prepare to survive such a devastating event?
Or is there no prep possible and survival pretty much impossible?

You can prep... there is a plethora of information as to the possible preps and results to such a disaster... google can be your friend...
Old 01-10-2013, 9:27 PM
Veteran Member

i hope if it does happen, d frankenstien and friends happens to be in the middle of the center of the quake

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 01-10-2013, 9:30 PM

Thanks Halh, I guess I just envisioned a much bigger land altering situation. You are probably right about the damage being mainly damage to civilized systems that support convenient life. Now were back to clogged transpo routes, flattened buildings, no water system, or food. And roving two legged animals. I have read the book you refer to, though. As for me, I have prepped and will be bugging in, that is if my house still stands.
Old 01-10-2013, 9:45 PM

Read an article awhile back at work written by a Fire Dept USAR guru that states the southernmost part of the SA Fault near the eastern shore of the Salton Sea hasn't let loose in over 100 yrs and is long overdue. It'll start there and it will take less than 2 mins for 8.0+ quake to rip through SB/RIV.CO and rumble through LA Metro area. Food for thought..
Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
That is why I keep this old surplus bridgelayer in the back yard next to the shed

Dont you have one?
enjoy spilling gallons of hydraulic fluid and having the bridge stick halfway down. also having no brake stopping power lol WOLVERINES
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
Knowing history sheds some very strange but amusing light on modern occurrences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
Whenever a women blows into my anus, it increases my milk yield too!
Old 01-11-2013, 8:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
i thought it was more than that. somewhere around 20 million years. it was years ago when i saw a little graphic about it.
yea give or take 10 million.

For sale RARE OFF ROSTER -XDs 3.3 9mm stainless, HK USP45 Combat Competition FDE, Walther PPQ9 First Edition -SG Valley
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1186451
Old 01-12-2013, 8:27 AM

The elephant in the room that is never discussed - fires. If a big earthquake is the cake, fires are the icing. Do all the prepping you want but I suspect many suburbs that more or less survive the quake will be burned to the ground due to electrical shorts and gas leaks. I really don't know what the answer is other than getting ALL your neighbors to do a group buy on quake-triggered gas-shutoff valves, which Home Depot sells...

Last edited by kb58; 01-12-2013 at 8:31 AM..
Old 01-12-2013, 6:06 PM

Be aware that periodic press releases are put out by the Geological Survey to sedate the public into thinking that the billon dollar price tag of their "do nothing" agency is a bargain and a necessity.
I used to manage a multi unit apt. complex 3 blocks away from the Menlo Park office and 3 of my tenants were employees there. One of which worked in the "map room". Huge salary for doing nothing. Who buys maps when you can have a GPS? He went to work (sometimes) at 9am, came home at 11 for lunch, went back at 2 pm and came home at 4.

The deal about earthquakes is that no one and no technology can predict them. Check out weather forecasters. Even in mild, unchanging, historically consistant climate zones they still cannot get it right. How many times does it rain when there is no rain in the forecast and how many times do they predict rain and nothing happens.

So these billion dollar clowns are going to predict an earthquake? Not in your lifetime.
Old 01-12-2013, 6:06 PM

oops sorry, double post

Last edited by maxxrange; 01-12-2013 at 7:06 PM.. Reason: double post
Old 01-12-2013, 6:56 PM
Rebel Scum
CGN Contributor

And when the big one hits and the madness ensues afterwards, people will remember why it's nice to own a gun or four.

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 01-13-2013, 8:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I agree. My Grandfather was in the 1906 Frisco quake and that was the issue FIRE. I am lucky to have 200 acres open space nearby that won't burn and I plan to camp in the center of it if the surrounding hills burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb58 View Post
The elephant in the room that is never discussed - fires. If a big earthquake is the cake, fires are the icing. Do all the prepping you want but I suspect many suburbs that more or less survive the quake will be burned to the ground due to electrical shorts and gas leaks. I really don't know what the answer is other than getting ALL your neighbors to do a group buy on quake-triggered gas-shutoff valves, which Home Depot sells...
Old 01-13-2013, 9:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I agree. My Grandfather was in the 1906 Frisco quake and that was the issue, FIRE. I am lucky to have 200 acres open space nearby that won't burn and I plan to camp in the center of it if the surrounding hills burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb58 View Post
Old 01-13-2013, 9:11 AM
Calguns Addict

The LA basin is going to boil in quake.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 AM

My parents lives about half a block from the San Andreas fault. There as also a huge gas main that runs right next to it. When I was a kid I used to play in a spot where the top of the pipe was uncovered.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 AM
In Memoriam

Anyone worried about this should move. I suggest New Madrid, in the free state of Missouri.

Last edited by paul0660; 01-13-2013 at 10:31 AM..
Old 02-05-2013, 6:53 PM
Veteran Member

What would be the odds be that you may die in a car crash before the big one hits? Be prepared and don't worry.
Old 02-05-2013, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
What would be the odds be that you may die in a car crash before the big one hits? Be prepared and don't worry.
Totally agree with the above. Our family is just gonna go with the flow. We have some emergency prep stuff, but it's nothing too outrageous. It's nice being ready to live or die...in the event of an emergency, that is. Peace out.

Last edited by MontezumaBlackOut; 02-05-2013 at 7:10 PM.. Reason: added a few more words.
Old 02-06-2013, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
What would be the odds be that you may die in a car crash before the big one hits?
Don't tell that to those waving their arms about the for-sure, right-around-the-corner economic collapse, about zero.
Old 02-06-2013, 7:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

I foresee your bugout being a rapid change in elevation. A quick descent of several hundred if not thousand feet in a matter of seconds. Don't worry though, all you survival supplies and stored water will be falling right along side of you.

I luckily live about 15 miles north and east of the S.A. fault. I foresee oceanfront property in my future.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 02-06-2013, 7:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
If it does rip with a 9.0+ then the intensity of damage at any one point might not change but the area that gets hit with that same level of damage will be much much greater...kinda like the difference between a nasty tornado and a nasty hurricane: one's a football field across, the other is 300 miles across. A lot of y'all out there, myself included need to worry more about the littler faults like the Newport-Inglewood, Hayward, Palos Verdes, Garlock faults etc etc.

I installed a seismic gas shutoff valve to my place as one prep and did some seismic retrofitting with Simpson Strong Tie hardware as another. Still gotta do my mom's place and preach to the inlaws about theirs.
The siesmic shutoff valve works great as long as any breaks in the gas line occur after the meter. You are pretty much screwed if the gas line leading onto the meter breaks.

However, you would be able to cook your food on the flame thrower on the side of what used to be your house. JK.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 AM

Here's some rather sobering computer simulations of what's to come. Granted, they amplified the motion by 1000x so that it's visible, but it's still rather scary. Scroll down the the individual cities to see what awaits them... sure don't want to be in the Cajon Pass... almost creepy to watch it coming.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/...ions/shakeout/

Also, if you place your cursor on a spot on the screen before the quake arrives, notice how offset it's left after the quake subsides...

Last edited by kb58; 02-06-2013 at 11:12 AM..