Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
Now this looks inresting

Molly Mac Pack http://www.mollymacpack.com/pack.html
Hmmm... This has me thinking now. I've got that DEI ALICE frame and shoulder straps and waistbelt, run a bit of tubing for a frame and just get the cordura and nylon for the panels. Maybe get the HSGI ALICE insert to cover hydration and it'd be a nice low-profile setup that's easily configurable.
REDACTED
Old 12-17-2012, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob86 View Post
I know this sounds crazy but my longboard skateboard is part of my bugout equipment. I've done street luge for years and a long board is quiet, fast, easy to hide and has low risk of braking.
Got an old Razor scooter myself. Picked it up for $5 at a yard sale. It'll get me home faster, or at least until I get a bike along the way.
Old 12-17-2012, 6:56 AM

How about a motorized skate board

http://epiicentre.com/skate-boards-a...daddy?sef=hcfp

For only $1,800 you get a board that will take you up to 22MPH for between 12-18 miles and has a 300lb load rating.
Old 12-18-2012, 5:34 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbj View Post
Got an old Razor scooter myself. Picked it up for $5 at a yard sale. It'll get me home faster, or at least until I get a bike along the way.
On Youtube Shug has a video riding a unicycle with BMX Tires on a mountain bike trail

Now that is crazy!
Old 12-24-2012, 1:30 PM

Its the end of the year - don't forget to rotate out your food supplies. I just went through my BOB kits and swapped out older canned foods and dried foods like rice and pasta. Try to do it at least once a year to insure you have fresh foods available when you need them.
Old 12-26-2012, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popndrop View Post
Its the end of the year - don't forget to rotate out your food supplies. I just went through my BOB kits and swapped out older canned foods and dried foods like rice and pasta. Try to do it at least once a year to insure you have fresh foods available when you need them.
took me two days to re fit out me and my girls bag felt good to finally finish it
Old 01-02-2013, 4:01 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Ahhh Winter Pack Time

Heavy Ground Cloth, more clothing layers, and toss in a set of ice stakes. Freedom from the bugs.
Old 01-02-2013, 6:54 PM

I am trying to put my first basic bag together.

This is a long *** thread and there are lists all over the place, but I am just looking for a concise, basic list. So if any of you have a checklist handy and would care to post it or PM it to me I would appreciate it.

Also, what is a good prepping / survival website? Which one does everybody seem to like the best? There are a ton of those out there too!

I tried the search but came up with a whole lot of stuff to wade through. Makes it tough to find what your looking for, especially when you are not sure exactly what you are looking for.

From the reading I have done, I think I am off to a good start, I just need to start running around the house and gathering it together. I will post a pic of my beginners pile in a couple days.

Please and thank you for the help and answers to questions I am sure have been asked and answered.
Old 01-02-2013, 8:25 PM
Calguns Addict

This might help you out

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=229061
Old 01-02-2013, 8:47 PM

Thanks, that thread is helpful for sure. Just hard to narrow stuff down, thats like a bug out bus! The list is awesome though.

And perhaps I missed it, but whats with the levels? What is the difference between a Level 1 hatchet and a Level 2 hatchet?

I am going to throw some stuff together and ask y'all to critique it.
Old 01-02-2013, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popndrop View Post
can you just go buy CIPRO over the counter, or do I have a get a 'script for it?
http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com/index...ofloxacin.html

True, "you" need a scrip ... But "your fish" does not. Mine, I mean "my fish's" showed up today ...
Old 01-06-2013, 8:02 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Alpkit Gourdon Stealth 20 may be just the bag for your wife or daughter.

A very good reputation for being waterproof and easy to maintain.
Old 01-12-2013, 5:26 PM

This thread needs to be a sticky..
We are a dynamic community that reflects society at large. If there is a trait that distinguishes us it is that we're protectors of the the infirm, the elderly, and defenseless women (often sorority sisters who like beer & pillow fights). That means that at some point we may be called on to do battle with zombies. That is nothing to be ashamed of. .
Old 01-12-2013, 5:26 PM

This thread needs to be a sticky..
We are a dynamic community that reflects society at large. If there is a trait that distinguishes us it is that we're protectors of the the infirm, the elderly, and defenseless women (often sorority sisters who like beer & pillow fights). That means that at some point we may be called on to do battle with zombies. That is nothing to be ashamed of. .
Old 01-12-2013, 6:32 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Please Sticky we have 10 new Bob threads a day now!
Old 01-12-2013, 6:32 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Please Sticky we have 10 new Bob threads a day now!
Old 01-12-2013, 7:32 PM

Thank you Librarian for the Sticky
Old 01-15-2013, 8:04 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Back to packs.....nice little trick

http://www.simblissity.net/botspot.htm
Old 01-22-2013, 3:29 PM

Default Emergency plan preparedness.

Level 1 Certification
1. Cover the following three items as part of a FHE:
a. Teach all family members of a responsible age, how to turn off all major utilities in the home (including the water, electricity, and gas). Discuss various circumstances that would warrant turning off these utilities.
b. Create a Fire Escape plan for your home. There should be two exits for each family member.
i. If they are in the basement, be sure that family members have a way out of the window well.
ii. If they are on the second floor, be sure they have a safe way to escape from the second floor (again, a ladder).
iii. Teach family members how to remove window screens so they can escape.
iv. Practice your escape plan with your family. Teach the 18” crawl under smoke.
v. Test all smoke detectors in the home. Replace batteries if necessary. Also, check all fire extinguishers in the home. Make sure they are still within their Use-by-date. Teach children the fundamentals of using a fire extinguisher. Have more than one in the home (one in the kitchen, and one on every level of the house).
c. Cover “What to do in an Earthquake, Fire, Flood, etc.”

2. Create a Family Emergency Plan:
a. Designate three meeting places
b. Provide Contact numbers for local Police, Fire, Ambulance, Poison Control, etc.
c. Provide Contact numbers for Family and Friends you wish to contact in an Emergency.
d. Designate one out of state relative or friend, if possible, to contact in an emergency if possible. In large emergency situations, local circuits are the first ones to become overloaded. Long distance phone calls have a higher chance of being available.
e. Decide who will pick-up any kids from school. Know the policy for releasing children in an emergency.
f. Create a brief checklist of things to get/bring if you have to leave your home on short notice. This will help someone in a panic to remember important things to bring (like your 72 hour kit, or copies of important documents, pets, etc).
g. Laminate the Family Emergency Plan and give a copy to each child, and place a copy in each car, 72 hour kit, and within the home near a phone.

3. Create or Update your 72 hour kits. It should be in a container for easy transportation and might include the following:
a. Basic first aid kit
b. Food/water to survive for 3 days
c. Blankets/space clothing for family members
d. AM/FM Radio or Two way Radio
e. Extra batteries
f. Flashlight
g. Toilet paper in a water proof bag
h. Cash in small denominations, including coins (pay phones are some of the first to be activated after an emergency)
i. Pre-paid phone card
j. Personal medications for each family member, including prescriptions
k. Pocket knife/leatherman/swiss army
l. Copy of your Family Emergency Plan

4. Food Storage (3 months of food and toiletries; 1 week of water). Build a small supply of food that is part of your normal, daily diet. One way to do this is to purchase a few extra items each week to build a one-week supply of food. Then you can gradually increase your supply until it is sufficient for three months. These items should be rotated regularly to avoid spoilage.

5. Emergency Cash Fund (this is cash on hand – not in a bank): $50 per person/$100 per family minimum

6. Organize important family documents (photos, insurance and financial records, etc.) so that they can be easily retrieved in the event of an evacuation.

Level 2 Certification (must be Level 1 Certified)

1. One family member must be CPR certified

2. Family must have the following Insurance:
a. Home owners Insurance (with fire coverage)
b. Auto insurance for any vehicles they drive
c. Life insurance policy for providers

3. Create a Family Estate Overview
a. Family Member Information: names, blood types, DOBs, social security numbers, medical information (allergies, prescriptions, pre-existing conditions, etc)
b. Work information for those employed
c. Emergency contact #s (Family, Neighbors, Family Doctor, Pediatrician, Insurance Agent, Attorney)
d. Quick Reference Insurance Information (Life, Auto, Home, etc.)
i. Policy numbers for each policy
ii. Basic coverage amounts
iii. Contact number for filing insurance claims, etc.
e. Family Balance Sheet and Inventory (List of Family Assets/Liabilities, with Account #s, Contact Information, Serial Numbers, etc.)
*Making a video of your house, and all major assets is extremely valuable for insurance claims

4. Photocopies/digital backups of all your important documents (All insurance policies, Titles, Wills, Power of Attorneys, Securities, Home appraisal, inventory, Social Security cards, front pages of your passport, etc). Include a copy of these important documents with you Family Estate Overview. You may consider putting a copy of your Family Estate Overview with copies of your important documents in a water proof bag inside your 72-hour kits.

5. Family Financial Review (review budget, expenditures, debt payoff, short term goals, retirement goals)

6. Food Storage (6 months of food and toiletries, two weeks of water)

7. Emergency Cash Fund: $100 per person/$200 per family minimum

Level 3 Certification (must be Level 2 Certified)

1. Acquire at least one Two Way Radio (GMRS-General Mobile Radio Service), FRS (Family Radio Service), CB (Citizen Band), or Ham Radio
a. Keep radio charged and have spare batteries
b. Know the emergency frequency (check to manual to be sure)
c. Obtain appropriate certification to operate radio

2. Obtain the following Estate Documents:
a. Last Will and Testament
b. Advance Directive (if desired) that incorporates the “Five Wishes”
i. The person I want to make care decisions for me when I can’t
ii. The kind of medical treatment I want or don’t want
iii. How comfortable I want to be
iv. How I want people to treat me
v. What I want my loved ones to know

3. Financial Reserve: Three months of budgeted expenditures in a savings account

4. Food Storage (1 year of food and toiletries; 1 month of water)

5. Safe Deposit Box or Home Safe (should be fire/water resistant) for Important Documents and Cash

6. Emergency Cash Fund: $300 per family minimum
Old 01-22-2013, 6:49 PM

Not sure what the last post had to do with a BOB or why it was just dumped into a post...but for those interested in the content or framework of it, you can read the whole doc here - http://ldsemergencyprep.files.wordpr...ber-packet.pdf

This is the title of the doc or at least a version of it -

HOBBLE CREEK STAKE
EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
WARD MEMBER PACKET
JANUARY 2009 EDITION
Old 01-22-2013, 7:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fot View Post
Thank you Librarian for the Sticky

+1 to this; it's great to have this thread readily available to all that enter.
Old 01-27-2013, 5:52 PM

Took my 40 pound load out for a ten mile hike today.I had GF and kids so was a slower pace, but I think I could have doubled that if needed. Shoulder and calves a bit sore, but that is to be expected, first hike in awhile.

Added bonus the GF and Kids now want their own bob's.
Old 01-27-2013, 9:03 PM
Calguns Addict

If you're going to sticky, at least remove all the irrelevant posts that say, "Good thread" and "Thanks for stickying" and don't add any pertinent info.

Including this one of course.
Old 01-28-2013, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
If you're going to sticky, at least remove all the irrelevant posts that say, "Good thread" and "Thanks for stickying" and don't add any pertinent info.

Including this one of course.
And this one disagreeing too.
Old 01-29-2013, 1:53 PM

Great information and suggestions. I am going to start putting my BOB kit together.
Old 01-31-2013, 9:03 PM

For water "system", suggest Katadyn or similar ceramic water filter, collapsible buckets (for dirty water), 3-liter camelbacks (preferably mil-spec versions), and 20-liter (5 gallon) Swiss Army Surplus water bladders for storing clean filtered water.

Katadyn has a hand-pump version and an expedition-sized version for larger groups. Expedition version is size of bicycle pump. Avail ebay. Not well known in US, but heavily relied upon in remote areas of Africa by NGO community.

Ceramic filters allow user to scrub mud and other particulates off the filter, then resume filtering. Paper-based filters often "blow out" from excess mud, making them useless.

The Swiss Army Surplus water bladders are built really tough. Can carry, store, or even sit on them, and have never had one leak. Well, except for the time one was stored in a hut with a few drops of water remaining in it. The rats chewed through the rubber to get at the drops, during a drought. But it was not in use, so I don't count that.... eBay or some surplus stores...

3-liter camelbacks work best, my opinion, for personal drinking. So long as you are manic about keeping only potable/purified water in them. Can occasionally find mil-spec versions on eBay.

Why mil spec? Because if you are in the middle of nowhere, you cannot have your water "system" break down. Civilian camping gear is not (generally) made to take the abuse mil spec gear will. Trying to repair a leaky civilian version canteen, camelback, or bulk water container in middle of nowhere is a pain if even do-able.

Collapsible containers like the Swiss water bladder and the camelbacks mean they take up less space when empty. Nalgene & other hiking containers take same space full or empty. Sometimes you can find old 2-liter lilitary surplus collapsible canteens, sometimes even the shoulder strap & cloth container too. Those are good alternatives, although I prefer the mil-spec camelbacks.
Old 01-31-2013, 9:41 PM

I am NOT a doctor - but in addition to Cipro, I have found anti-diarrhea medicine (Costco-size quantities) and Flagyl (don't know medical name) to be very handy.

Should have enough Cipro & Flagyl for multiple patients, full course of treatment. Consult your doctor, since both need prescriptions to acquire.

Flagyl is for dysentery. (Bloody diarrhea, basically). Trust me, dysentery is no fun to have...

Shots - something I rarely see talked about... Make sure all vaccinations are up to date. You might go to a really good travel medicine clinic for advice.

Shots to consider (consult your doctor) include tetanus, DPT, polio booster, MMR (booster?), hepatitis C, hepatitis A, cholera (somewhat effective), and possibly several others including meningitis. You could tell them you are going to remote part of Africa - and ask what the CDC recommends you get.... Although last I knew Yellow Fever is not in most of US because it's too cold.... But Yellow Fever is mandatory for most of Africa. Mexico? Don't know...

If you are out in middle of nowhere, exposed to or near a population that has not been vaccinated for many former killers (E.g., whooping cough, polio, meningitis, cholera), you may wish you had been vaccinated. And that your kids had all the "optional" shots too....

My two cents - I got a polio booster shot when I knew I was going to be in contact with polio carriers, because I did not want to bring it back with me. I was vacinnated for it as a child, but most kids in US today are not. Something to consider, anyway. Same reason I got a DPT booster.

Last unsolicited comment - You do not ever want to see a whooping cough outbreak - or measles.... They are still childhood killers without the vaccinations. I have, and helped bury a lot of children. Which is probly why I am such a strong recommender for vaccines in a SHTF or "middle of nowhere" situation....

Look at it this way - the vaccines last a long time (typically) and you don't have to carry them in your BOB. Just some thoughts...
Old 02-02-2013, 3:13 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Nice Medium Shoulder bag for $30 http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/pro...Shoulder-Bags/

Make sure you got your TDAP Shot!
Old 02-05-2013, 4:12 PM

I go off into the bush on a multi-day backpacking trip every year or so, and one of the most valuable things I happened to bring on a trip early in my backpacking career was half a dozen gallon-sized ziplock freezer bags.

A third of the way into this particular trip, I lost all strength in my legs. Couldn't keep going and I couldn't turn back. We had to set up camp where we were, several miles from our intended camping area and over a mile from a water source. Once we set up camp, we collected our water containers so the other two fellas could get water for the three of us. We didn't have much - this was before Camelbaks were common and we'd planned on camping near a water source each night, so we only had containers large enough to cover the journey between campsites.

Then I found the ziplock bags I'd packed. Those bags ended up being the difference between having enough water each day and having to ration 3 quarts between 3 of us.

Aside from being emergency water storage, those bags have dozens of uses and weigh practically nothing. They're now part of my standard multi-day pack.

Completely unrelated, a friend brought a steripen as the water filtration method when we hiked Whitney a couple years ago. Except it died after the first bottle. Fortunately I had water tablets as a backup, and we were able to continue without issue. I always hike with redundant water filtration, redundant fire-starting methods, and more than one light source.

Also, someone said rotate your food. The same is true for your medication; don't overlook your meds.
Old 02-06-2013, 8:27 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Nice little gizmo
https://www.camp-tek.com/buy/index.html
Microburst Mini
Old 02-18-2013, 1:07 AM

I recently organized and allocated some(not all) of my preps into a BOB. Here is the list divided into sections for organization. Right now I use a swiss backpack. Its small and average looking, will not draw attention and fits what I have, but its absolutely full and theres more things I am considering getting and I am looking for a new pack at the moment to house everything.
Right now this is an incomplete kit as far as I am concerned.

EDC (this is always on me, so I consider it already a part of my BOB):
-CRKT folding knife
-chap stick
-cash
-cell phone
-inhaler
-Gi can opener
-a nice jacket always close at hand

Tools:
-Leatherman multi tool
-S&W folding knife with glass breaker and seatbelt cutter
-Mora fixed blade knife
-4inch drop point full tang knife I made myself
-knife sharpener

Fire starters:
-Dryer lint
-magnesium firestarter
-water proof matches
-multiple bic lighters
-small bundle of steel wool with a 9v battery

Cooking supplies:
-Folding utensil
-Stanley camp pot with two cups
-hobo stove
-GI can opener (on keychain, one extra in bag)

First aid:
-adventure medical kit 1.0
-lip balm
-tums
-benadryl
-hospital grade tylenol
-antibiotics (cipro and doxycycline)
-extra unopened asthma inhalers (this applies to me)

Water:
-purification tablets
-water fllter straw
-2 BPA free 32oz water containers
-twelve 4oz water packets

Lighting:
-small maglight
-Led flashlight
-emergency candles (5hr)
-extra AA batteries for both flashlights

Food:
-trail mix
-cliff bars
-1 can of chili
-1 can of ham and beans
-dried beans and rice
-3 cans tuna (water not oil if it makes a difference)
-1 snickers bar (for comfort)
-week worth of multivitamins, B vitamins

Misc:
-1 roll of duct tape
-extra beanie
-pair of wool socks
-small sewing kit
-ear plugs
-mylar blankets (2)
-5 heavy duty trash bags
-deck of cards
-SAS survival book
-paracord bracelet with compass
-whistle
-Rope
-TP in ziplock, collapsed without the cardboard roll in the center)

Shelter:
-out door sleeping bag
-camp stakes (found them cheap, and figured they have multiple uses)

Well there it is!

Heres what I need and currently do not have, but plan on getting soon!
-2 person tent
-riptop tarp
-better and bigger bag for everything
-collapsable water container
-a more solid fixed blade knife (thinking kabar when i can afford)
-more rope/paracord
-single shot of glenfiddich
-folding trowel
-small crowbar
-either a ruger mkIII or a ruger 10/22 takedown depending on what my pack permits with ammo
Old 02-18-2013, 3:56 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noctambulant89 View Post
I recently organized and allocated some(not all) of my preps into a BOB. Here is the list divided into sections for organization. Right now I use a swiss backpack. Its small and average looking, will not draw attention and fits what I have, but its absolutely full and theres more things I am considering getting and I am looking for a new pack at the moment to house everything.
Right now this is an incomplete kit as far as I am concerned.

EDC (this is always on me, so I consider it already a part of my BOB):
-CRKT folding knife
-chap stick
-cash
-cell phone
-inhaler
-Gi can opener
-a nice jacket always close at hand

Tools:
-Leatherman multi tool
-S&W folding knife with glass breaker and seatbelt cutter
-Mora fixed blade knife
-4inch drop point full tang knife I made myself
-knife sharpener

Fire starters:
-Dryer lint
-magnesium firestarter
-water proof matches
-multiple bic lighters
-small bundle of steel wool with a 9v battery

Cooking supplies:
-Folding utensil
-Stanley camp pot with two cups
-hobo stove
-GI can opener (on keychain, one extra in bag)

First aid:
-adventure medical kit 1.0
-lip balm
-tums
-benadryl
-hospital grade tylenol
-antibiotics (cipro and doxycycline)
-extra unopened asthma inhalers (this applies to me)

Water:
-purification tablets
-water fllter straw
-2 BPA free 32oz water containers
-twelve 4oz water packets

Lighting:
-small maglight
-Led flashlight
-emergency candles (5hr)
-extra AA batteries for both flashlights

Food:
-trail mix
-cliff bars
-1 can of chili
-1 can of ham and beans
-dried beans and rice
-3 cans tuna (water not oil if it makes a difference)
-1 snickers bar (for comfort)
-week worth of multivitamins, B vitamins

Misc:
-1 roll of duct tape
-extra beanie
-pair of wool socks
-small sewing kit
-ear plugs
-mylar blankets (2)
-5 heavy duty trash bags
-deck of cards
-SAS survival book
-paracord bracelet with compass
-whistle
-Rope
-TP in ziplock, collapsed without the cardboard roll in the center)

Shelter:
-out door sleeping bag
-camp stakes (found them cheap, and figured they have multiple uses)

Well there it is!

Heres what I need and currently do not have, but plan on getting soon!
-2 person tent
-riptop tarp
-better and bigger bag for everything
-collapsable water container
-a more solid fixed blade knife (thinking kabar when i can afford)
-more rope/paracord
-single shot of glenfiddich
-folding trowel
-small crowbar
-either a ruger mkIII or a ruger 10/22 takedown depending on what my pack permits with ammo
Two Person Tent is a real pain
8x10 or larger tarp and either buy or make some bivy like this http://www.borahgear.com/chestbivy.html
Have seen people diy out of tyvek
Old 02-18-2013, 8:59 AM

noctambulant89, that list made me think of things I should have.

You mention the want for a Ruger. Do you have something else in there already?

Also, what about gloves? Either work gloves or good cold weather gloves?

And, if you either exhaust your supply of inhalers or are separated from them, is there a homeopathic solution you're aware of?

Great list. Really made me think.

This is the USA. We don't elect kings, we rebel against them!
Old 02-18-2013, 9:14 AM

Great list.

Don't forget a timepiece. Consider something from the Casio Pathfinder series that is solar powered, includes a basic compass, thermometer, etc. (a watch I bought for backpacking and wear it often day-to-day)

Also I didn't notice any soap or other type of cleaning and/or disinfecting solution. You can pick up small bottles of camp soap (2-4 oz) for a few bucks that work great as multipurpose soap.
Old 02-18-2013, 9:55 AM

OldBlueman,

Never thought of a time piece, that would always be good to have. I forget that I tend to rely on my cell phone too much.

camp soap is on my list of things to buy in addition to some single use hand wipes for sanitation.

Mt4design,
I currently do not have a firearm, I originally signed up to calguns to do research on buying my first one. Hopefully I'll have my first 22lr pistol in a month or so.
Gloves are something that I still need to get, but keep forgetting to add to the bag, I have a few pair of gloves in my garage though.
As far as my inhaler supply I keep an unopened unused inhaler in my bag, that in itself should last at least a month which is sufficient for a BOB in my opinion. I have looked into herbal rememdies, aromatheraphy, and such for asthma, but most of the plants are too exotic to find in the area naturally.
Old 02-18-2013, 4:20 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Ultimat Bug Out Time Piece List
Sinn
Marathon GSAR
And then supreme bady
Sunnto GPS Watch
Old 02-18-2013, 5:25 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
Two Person Tent is a real pain
8x10 or larger tarp and either buy or make some bivy like this http://www.borahgear.com/chestbivy.html
Have seen people diy out of tyvek

Only down side to this route is for people like me with 2 small kids and a wife that I'll be packing with. I have a SMALL 2 man tent that straps to the bottom of my pack. I'm looking for a nice cart of some sort (maybe modified stroller) that I can pack some more of my gear if needed. Things that are too heavy to carry but necessary like water (that I can bail out if needed) and ammo that I don't want on my back.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 AM

I just completed my first Bug Out / Get Home Bag. My plan is to get to my parents house in Nuevo. I work 25 miles from there (Driving) and my home is 2miles (walking) /13miles (driving). I feel I can last at least 3 days with my pack. I work LE, so if im working I also have a Rem. 870 and M&P.45 with extra ammo. I always carry my Bodyguard .380 on my person.

The combined weight of the Pack, The Sleeping bag, and the Ruger bag is 28.3 Lbs. Without the Ruger bag its at 19.6 lbs. I could add more onto the outside of the pack, but I feel the current weight is the limit where I can still be quick on my feet.

The pack itself is a 3 day bag I picked up at the gun show.

Contents:
1 Compact Sleeping bag
1 Whistle/Compass/Temp Gauge
1 S&W Extreme Ops Knife
1 Multi Tool
Matches in Pill Bottle
Kindling in Pillo Bottle
1 Small 10 x 25 Binos
1 Small Etool
1 Mini LED Flash Light
1 LED Headlamp
2 Chemlights
1 30ft Roll of Duct Tape
1 MRE
3 Powerbars
3 Beef Jerkys
2 Small Packs Powdered Gatorade
1 Pair Work Gloves
1 Poncho DCU
1 DCU Top
1 Tan Cargo Pants
1 DCU Boonie Hat
1 Pair Socks
Zip Ties
100ft Roll Paracord 550
1 Small Crank Flashlight/Radio
1 Mosquito Headnet
1 Sharpie
2 Bottles of Water

Medical Supplies:
Alcohol Wipes
1 Roll Medical Tape
1 Roll Athletic Tape
1 Roll Coban
1 Roll Kerlix
1 Roll Gauze
1 Roll Elastic Bandage
1 Emergency Blanket
Assorted Bandaids/ Gauze pads
Chapstick
10 Latex Gloves
1 Bottle Kelp Tablets
1 Snake Bite Kit
2 Handwarmers
Water purification tablets
Liquid Bandage
Neosporin Spray
Nerosporin Ointment
Superglue
1 Medical Scissors
Life Straw
2 Small Trash Bags
1 Large Trash Bag
Needle/Thread
1 Combat Tourniquet

Ruger 10/22 TakeDown Bag
1 Ruger 10/22 Takedown Rifle (w/ lock)
5 10/22 Magazines
100 rds .22lr
2 Bodyguard .380 Magazines
50rds .380

Old 02-19-2013, 7:08 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Oware and Bearpaw each make 4man pyramid tents that are light & packable.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:36 PM

Love this thread. Still haven't gone through all the pages (still on page 18 and taking notes) and hope this hasn't been covered yet, but my sister has two dogs a husky and a shiba inu. For christmas/birthday present I bought her dogs molle type vests. I believe in Size and Weight when it comes to a B.O.B/survival type situation. When I go with them backpacking/camping her Husky carries extra med kits and the Shiba carries the toilet/hygiene gear. Also both have a maxpedition roly poly and small pouch on the other side for extra space and counter-balancing the weight.

here are the sites I would recommend to get them at

Tactical type
http://www.rayallen.com/category/modular_harness_system
http://www.elitek9.com/Special-Opera...uctinfo/MH020/
http://www.signaturek9.com/Store/Nylon-Harnesses

Non Tactical Type
http://www.backcountrygear.com/campi...dog-packs.html
http://www.rei.com/category/4500452
http://www.things4yourdog.com/search-&-rescue-dogs