Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:04 AM

Default Shipping ammo to a PO Box?

Is it illegal to ship ammo via UPS to a PO Box? I would assume so since I can't ship via USPS. Can anyone provide a cite?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:08 AM
AntisocialJusticeWarrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Where we send crazy old people to a home, not The White House.

The USPS won't accept other carriers packages for PO boxes.

It’s actually kind of beautiful that in America a large group of people known for owning guns are only feared because they vote.

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
― Harlan Ellison
Old 01-11-2013, 12:11 AM

Perfectly legal, I do it all the time. You just need to sign a paper with your PO Box so they can legally sign for your mail.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Blue Blaze Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantedamean View Post
Perfectly legal, I do it all the time. You just need to sign a paper with your PO Box so they can legally sign for your mail.
I've never heard of the Post Office signing for packages delivered by other common carriers. UPS's web site even says they will not accept packages for shipment that are addressed to PO boxes.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 01-11-2013, 3:41 AM

You can have a PO box with someone other than the USPS, mailboxes etc for example.
Old 01-11-2013, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssr. Eleganté View Post
I've never heard of the Post Office signing for packages delivered by other common carriers. UPS's web site even says they will not accept packages for shipment that are addressed to PO boxes.
FedEx SmartPost and a similar UPS service deliver to PO Boxes, that's often how I get many packages from clothing and even Midway USA/DVOR/etc, but only that specific service. As I mention below, you cannot put the post office's physical address with your box number in the second address line, it will not be delivered/accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz152 View Post
You can have a PO box with someone other than the USPS, mailboxes etc for example.
Not a PO Box though (unless OP was using a generic term); that's technically a physical address with a box #, much akin to a building's address with suite number or apartment number. It may not seem like a huge difference but it is. If you send a UPS package to the physical post officer location with your PO Box number stated as the second address line, I do not believe it will be accepted unless it is the SmartPost service or similar; I used to work both at a UPS store (almost a decade ago) and UPS proper (about 6 years ago) and I do not think the policies have changed.

OP: Ammo probably won't ever come to a PO Box because it is ORM-D and is almost exclusively handled by UPS/FedEx/DHL. I have never seen a USPS option from any ammo vendor.
REDACTED
Old 01-11-2013, 7:15 AM
Blue Blaze Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz152 View Post
PO boxes are in post offices. That's what the P and O stand for. The thing you can have at Mailboxes Etc is a PMB.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 01-11-2013, 9:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Nope.

SmartPost and similar services are delivered by USPS for FedEx etc. They won't handle ammo.

Only USPS has access to a PO box.

A PMB at UPS store is an option.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssr. Eleganté View Post
PO boxes are in post offices. That's what the P and O stand for. The thing you can have at Mailboxes Etc is a PMB.
I preferred to write "Suite" on my UPS store mailbox.
Old 01-11-2013, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
Nope.

SmartPost and similar services are delivered by USPS for FedEx etc. They won't handle ammo.

Only USPS has access to a PO box.

A PMB at UPS store is an option.
I thought it was the other way around. The UPS one delivered to the post offices. Huh.
REDACTED
Old 01-11-2013, 6:27 PM
Calguns Addict

If the parcel is given to USPS as the final step in delivery (by fedex or ups through some agreement) it might get to a PO box. Only USPS has access. They need to be the last folks handling the package.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
If the parcel is given to USPS as the final step in delivery (by fedex or ups through some agreement) it might get to a PO box. Only USPS has access. They need to be the last folks handling the package.
This is true. My MidwayUSA order is going to my PO Box and it's got a UPS SurePost tracking number; it will get to local UPS hub, then be picked up by USPS. On MUSA's site, ammo can only be shipped to street addresses, delivered by UPS/FedEx, and I think this has to do with the ORM-D status of the package and their requirement of an adult signature (though not all ammo vendors require that. SGAmmo gives you the option, AmmoToGo doesn't require one....).
REDACTED