Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 01-08-2013, 6:27 PM

Default Wi Fi HotSpot Advice

Gentlemen: Just been promoted to a new position which requires 75% travel with many flights & over night hotel stays.

I have always been a desktop guy w/ an iPad at home but now I need to reconfigure my online access.

Should I purchase a Wi-Fi Hotspot device for my laptop & iPad ? Or, get a new smart phone w/ better coverage area with LTE network?

Which is more "reliable" or "faster" ? I definately will not rely on my current T-Mobile plan, although it has 4G, coverage is inconsistant & downloads are unreliable.

Thanks for inputs.
Old 01-08-2013, 8:54 PM

A dedicated hotspot device is definitely faster. Look into Verizon's 4G MiFi jetpack. I have the 4620L and it is FAST.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member

don't switch to sprint
Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 AM

For my iphone via Verizon, i just pay extra on the Data package for my iphone

to be a 4g mobile hotspot. user(s) can connect up to 8 devices <tethering> as

its called in the I.T. world. i was going to sell my ipad3 wifi for cellular version.

but didnt have to after verizons 4G plans were released. As far as the 4g hotspot

its legit,secure and still faster than my ixfinity @ home :-/ you just have to decid

how much data you may need for your plan i think 10gigs was tops but that may

have changed..No complaints from me, coming from a "rooted" droid just for

tethering
Old 01-09-2013, 2:57 AM

verizon I'm on the old unlimited plan ,running 3g from a droid 3 just downloaded foxfi for free from the google play store ,works for me run netflix ,xbox live its not 100% perfect but on a good day can run a movie with no interruptions .can only imagine with a good 4g signal would do best of all for me its free well kinda 130 a month is not free but I definitely get my money worth 40gb to 60gb a month ,think im doing okay ,only thing is cant be on the phone and wifi at the same time big draw back ,but im a cheap ***** so works for me ,been thinking about one of those hot spot devices but they charge by the gb that can get really pricey fast good luck
Old 01-09-2013, 7:01 AM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33pt View Post
A dedicated hotspot device is definitely faster. Look into Verizon's 4G MiFi jetpack. I have the 4620L and it is FAST.
Another vote for the Jetpack. I was using Sprint for 2 years and it was painful. Switched to Verizon Jetpack Dec 8th and so far I am very happy. This thing is as fast as my home cable internet.
Old 01-09-2013, 8:16 AM
Veteran Member

I had a Verizon 4G LTE hot spot at my last job and it was fast and theri coverage was awesome.

I traveled all over the Western US.
Old 01-09-2013, 8:24 AM

another +1 for Verizon, but you might want to double check the coverage for the locations you'd be traveling to.

If Verizon is somehow spotty for some locations, you can do daily rental of hotspots from other carriers from various companies.

Also consider some kind of WiFi plan, if you can get on Wifi at a coffee shop, it'd likely be a better experience than using 4G/3G.
Old 01-11-2013, 8:06 PM

Thanks everyone. I had my eyes on Verizon for a while but wanted input from the CG Crew!! Off to buy a MiFi this weekend.

Cheers.
Old 01-11-2013, 8:10 PM

Remember to talk with your company. When I was doing 80% travel all my expenses were business related and expense-able. So get the best. And if they wont and you itemize... business related non compensated is tax deductible.

Don't rely on hotel networks. They are slow, un-secure, and block some sites (Guns and Pr0n).
Old 01-11-2013, 9:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplusplus View Post
Remember to talk with your company. When I was doing 80% travel all my expenses were business related and expense-able. So get the best. And if they wont and you itemize... business related non compensated is tax deductible.

Don't rely on hotel networks. They are slow, un-secure, and block some sites (Guns and Pr0n).
I get a kick outa hotels that block pron but will sell it to you for $20/movie
Old 01-12-2013, 1:11 AM
Warmongering Pacifist
CGN Contributor

Whatever you do, stay away from Sprint.

Americans who are not self-reliant and depend on government to take care of them are not Americans. You cannot depend on government and be free.
Old 01-12-2013, 8:21 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'd read up the the travel hacking and mileage hacking sites. Make the most of all those miles.

I don't do much travel, so I use my LTE Verizon phone. Might be worth having a phone from one carrier and a hotspot from another for full coverage if you are going to be that much of a road warrior.
Old 01-12-2013, 8:22 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'd read up the the travel hacking and mileage hacking sites. Make the most of all those miles.

I don't do much travel, so I use my LTE Verizon phone. Might be worth having a phone from one carrier and a hotspot from another for full coverage if you are going to be that much of a road warrior.
Old 01-12-2013, 8:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I travel 3 weeks a month about, all over the US.

First +1 to Verizon! I used to have AT&T and I've found Verizon to be most often reliable and having LTE.

Personally I found having to keep a MiFi charged was a pain. I have switched to an LTE smart phone + LTE iPad + LTE USB card for my laptop. With the Verizon data share plans its not too expensive and and I use the data on which see device I want. I also found at some trade shows, meeting and larger cities that there was so many WIFI networks it would interfere wifi the MiFi puts out.

It's also nice because I don't have to fiddle with another device when getting my iPad or phone out for faster speeds.