Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 PM

Default Internet based Home Alarm System

So, I havn't found anything yet, but maybe the powers that be might know of something that will work for me. Here is the story. I bought a honeywell based wireless alarm system a few years ago. I am out of contract so the equipment is mine. I would like to replace the panel and use the sensors but would like to skip the 3rd party monitoring and monitor my own system through some sort of web based personal monitoring site. I do not have a land line and my cell service is spotty, but I have a strong and very secure u-verse connection.

SO...

Does anyone know of a web based monitoring program/system? If I need to I can set up a dedicated server. I have set up security camera feeds through the internet, but my google-fu has failed me on this.

Thanks in advance

BBR
Old 12-04-2012, 10:54 PM

I don't know about setting up your home alarm system to alert you, however, most of those security camera systems these days have phone apps and can alert you if motion is detected.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:07 PM

I am primarily looking for a perimeter system. There is something creepy about having cameras in my bedroom
BBR
Old 12-05-2012, 2:24 PM

I understood your post, I just meant the camera system could simply be a secondary way to let you know something or someone is moving inside your home.
Old 12-05-2012, 3:02 PM

Get an IP cam with NC/NO inputs on it, and use the current sensor(s) as triggers for the ip cam to send messages. Cameras with these features can be had for less than $150. In addition, you'll have an ip security cam.
Old 12-05-2012, 3:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR View Post
I am primarily looking for a perimeter system. There is something creepy about having cameras in my bedroom
BBR
Unfortunately, my lady is opposed to this too.
----------------------------------------------
I know that most >$65 IP cameras can e-mail upon motion detection. I have mine dropping images (5/sec) to an FTP account. Some of the "Foscam" cameras are really good (bad interface though), and my AC power adapter went bad on mine) but you can have it only e-mail (FTP too) images (or even video) upon motion detection, only during certain times of day, and only days of the week if you so desire...

These guy I have visited before: http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ , but am still on a monitoring contract until next year, so I have to start researching. If you do your own system, you can get people to monitor for as little as $9ish/month, no contract.

I am sure that there are network based solutions if you research enough. There was a question similar to this in recent months in this sub-forum, and you may be able to track it down...

The real issue is the cutting of phone line, fiber, or Cable line on the feed on the side of your home unless you have a cell backup (w/pricey monitoring costs)... possibly rendering your home networkless...

I actually ran home from work one time as I could not see my cameras when some kiddie was dropping my network cameras (thinking that someone was breaking in cutting the power to the house).

I thought about screwing in a board so that the cables are not accessible even with the exterior panel opened up so I can drop POTS, and Cell backup costs. The other issues is that if you are going to run it Network based: many kiddies will drop cameras or devices from wireless networks trying to crack your wireless code, and anything 802.11* would be useless for monitoring at that time, not to mention you would have to have a power source (UPS is easiest, I guess) on all equipment that could loose power (cameras, router, fiber conversion box in garage [I can't think of the name right now], and any switches in the chain) for the duration of the outage (or as long as the switch remained off if someone cut power manually on the outside of your home via breaker panel).

Last edited by the86d; 12-05-2012 at 3:12 PM..
Old 12-30-2012, 8:53 AM

I too am in the market, I think this LOWES system looks cool, has an app and can go to the website anytime to view the status and camera

http://allthingsd.com/20120809/alert...the-diy-crowd/
Old 12-30-2012, 9:46 AM

If you're serious about home security, I wouldn't do DIY monitoring. You have the responsibility for system installation, maintenance, and calling the cops.

I would guess that law enforcement would put homeowners reporting remote breakins from self-installed systems at the bottom of their priority list.

As mentioned before, pay $10/mo + POTS line minimally. Pay $10-20/mo additional to move up to cell modem for peace of mind.
Old 12-30-2012, 9:51 AM

Digital Monitoring Products has network capable alarm panels available that are accessible from smartphone or mobile device

cut and pasted this:

Remote SMS Text Commands via Text Messages*
The SMS text command capability – MyAccess™ allows users to quickly and easily arm or disarm their system, check status and turn outputs on or off, control Z-WaveŽ devices and cameras all from their cell phone.
If users can't remember the commands, they can just type ‘HELP' and the panel will reply with the commands.
The DMP App works on smart phones or mobile devices, allowing users to access commonly used system functions via graphic interface. Controls include arming/disarming, Z-Wave and Camera control.
On-Board Network
The Network capability lets you monitor alarm signals over the Internet, offering a significant advantage for both Central Stations and alarm customers in terms of cost, speed, quality of service, and security.

from here;

http://www.dmp.com/XT_Series

I'm replacing my old XR20 with an XT30
Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 AM

Just remember, any competent burglar goes for the phone lines first. I have done probably 150 service restorations after a burg job, working for a large public utility. If your lines are exposed on the outside such as coming off a pole, its open season., unless it goes into a mast. If its underground its easier to hide as long as the phone/cable demarcations mounted in garage. Wireless is always a good backup after POTS

"Every gun makes it's own tune." - Blondie
Old 12-30-2012, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm117 View Post
Just remember, any competent burglar goes for the phone lines first. I have done probably 150 service restorations after a burg job, working for a large public utility. If your lines are exposed on the outside such as coming off a pole, its open season., unless it goes into a mast. If its underground its easier to hide as long as the phone/cable demarcations mounted in garage. Wireless is always a good backup after POTS
As people move to cellular backups, alarms go out to a cell network dedicated for alarm monitoring, alarms are reported to a central monitoring station in as little as 60 microseconds.
The old two man method of defeating alarm systems by cutting the bell wires and getting to the panel to knock it down and cut before it can report doesn't work anymore.
Old 12-30-2012, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragthefreaks View Post
As people move to cellular backups, alarms go out to a cell network dedicated for alarm monitoring, alarms are reported to a central monitoring station in as little as 60 microseconds.
The old two man method of defeating alarm systems by cutting the bell wires and getting to the panel to knock it down and cut before it can report doesn't work anymore.
now you can do it with one man and a cell / wireless jammer
Old 12-30-2012, 3:45 PM

I have been thinking of one of these. http://simplisafe.com/home-security-shop2

I'm sure it can be defeated with a jammer but my house isn't the Ritz Carlton. And i'm sure Danny Ocean isn't coming for what I have.
Old 12-30-2012, 4:11 PM

There are lots of options, look at: http://www.2gig.com/

This is very DIY. You can subscribe to a 3rd party monitoring service if you desire. Or you can just set it up for SMS/e-mail alerts.
Old 12-30-2012, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinghere2c View Post
now you can do it with one man and a cell / wireless jammer
and that gets noticed just as quickly when you're getting pinged constantly by a central monitoring station
Old 12-30-2012, 6:52 PM
Veteran Member

look into Linuxmce do it yourself or hire it out ...
Old 01-07-2013, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member

I've had good experiences with. Easy install as its all wireless.

http://www.safemart.com/livewatch.htm
Old 01-07-2013, 9:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I looked long and hard online myself....I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the SimpliSafe as well. Plus, with the money back guarantee and no contract....seems like it'll work well for my small house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
I have been thinking of one of these. http://simplisafe.com/home-security-shop2

I'm sure it can be defeated with a jammer but my house isn't the Ritz Carlton. And i'm sure Danny Ocean isn't coming for what I have.
Old 01-07-2013, 6:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Xfinity offers one.
Old 01-07-2013, 6:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

http://www.comcast.com/mxfinityhome/
Old 01-07-2013, 6:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragthefreaks View Post
The panel method still works if the perp can get physically in front of it before the standard delay to disarm expires. So it is also important to hide and secure the panel.

A lot of people don't option cellnet because they don't want to pay the extra monitoring cost associated with it. However as it is being said here, you can't necessarily rely on POTS (and in that case your wired internet WAN link of choice into the facility) in most residential wiring since it is easy enough to cut - although it is not necessarily without being noticed in many cases too.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 01-07-2013, 6:46 PM

As far as setting up a dedicated server, I have messed around with this before and can say that a program called ISpy (free, open source, Link) is very good. I had a small windows server running ISpy with a cheap amazom webcam attached to it. I had it setup so that when I would arm it from it's web-based command console, it would start monitoring for movement in key areas of the video feed from the webcam. If movement was detected, it can do a bunch of different things, but also it lets you execute something on the command line so you can potentially do some crazy things with it. I just had it send me an email and start recording Since then I have changed to running a linux server, does anyone knows of similar high quality software for linux?

Last edited by vikingm03; 01-07-2013 at 6:50 PM..
Old 01-09-2013, 9:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4two View Post
I too am in the market, I think this LOWES system looks cool, has an app and can go to the website anytime to view the status and camera

http://allthingsd.com/20120809/alert...the-diy-crowd/
Thanks for the link, I bought one of these tonight.

Unfortunately every Lowe's is out of stock on the window sensors & they're out of stock online too.

Seems pretty cool & I already have 3 IP cams emailing notifications & saving to FTP. If the base system works well, I'm going to seriously upgrade it.