Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 11-05-2012, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt16 View Post
As far as water, what do you guys think of this storage system?.... http://www.costco.com/H2O-Reserve%e2....11757341.html
Depending on where you live and what type of home you have (apartment, townhome, detached, etc.) it could work for someone with limited storage capabilities.

For those where space is not an issue, like a garage or storage shed in the backyard it would probably be most cost effective to go with the 55 gal drums. I would think that they would hold up better in an earthquake as well, with the drawback of them being very heavy after being filled.

There is the added benefit of portability and the ability to stack your supply in various locations throughout your home. I believe I remember seeing a similar product where you could actually convert them into toilets if needed. The inline filter is nice, but no info on it.

Everyone's needs are different so this could work for some.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, MREs are hard to digest---just what you need in a sewage/fan situation. My plan is to bug-in as much as possible---canned foods last almost forever and often don't require additional water---just heat and eat, or just eat if no fire available. Bottled water makes a good short-term solution---have plenty and rotate.
Old 12-13-2012, 1:15 AM

I'm sure its not the best, but I use old juice/milk jugs. The water may not be perfect or the most pure, or best tasting after a lot of time in plastic, but i'll be better off than the guy without water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread

Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!

Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.
Old 12-13-2012, 9:49 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Water get a Sawyer Squeeze, purification tablets, and keep a few bottles around.
Old 12-13-2012, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

+1 on all the "go to costco" and "store what you eat" comments. We buy water, rice, canned soup and veggies, paper products, and hygiene supplies in bulk and rotate stock. Anybody NOT planning for some type of short term independence due to natural occurrences that lives anywhere on the planet isn't using their head. I remember distinctly the runs on grocery stores during the riots and after earthquakes, and when I was in the Midwest, ice storms would routinely kill power for a few days. Blizzards shut down interstates so trucks can't get through every winter all over the country. Always have food and water that you don't need heat to prepare, or have propane stored.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’
Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 AM

I have one of these kits, since I have access to well water. Just buy the emergency kit for 30 bucks and supply your own buckets.

http://www.homespunenvironmental.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharxbyte View Post
I'm sure its not the best, but I use old juice/milk jugs. The water may not be perfect or the most pure, or best tasting after a lot of time in plastic, but i'll be better off than the guy without water.
Think about switching to 2 liter pop bottles for your water storage. Those milk jugs degrade over time and empty pop bottles are easy to come by.

Last edited by gemoose23; 12-13-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Old 12-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemoose23 View Post
I have one of these kits, since I have access to well water.

I'm getting one of those!!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVth Horseman View Post
If you're looking for long term and extremely shelf stable food, scope out the Mountain House #10 cans. Not the cheapest, but in the long run it's a quality investment. They'll last 25+ years and are dehydrated so it's very lightweight. And it tastes great!
Augason Farms does the same dehydrated food that last 25+ years. This food will be good when I retire, so a decent investment.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemoose23 View Post
I have one of these kits, since I have access to well water. Just buy the emergency kit for 30 bucks and supply your own buckets.

Think about switching to 2 liter pop bottles for your water storage. Those milk jugs degrade over time and empty pop bottles are easy to come by.
Activated carbon won't filter out bacteria and viruses. Think about some of these Potable Aqua Chlorine Dioxide Tablets or household bleach. I don't have the formula off-hand, but something like 10 drops per gallon, stir and let sit for 4 hours is about right.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Saw this while I was researching DIY freeze drying:

http://www.overstock.com/Emergency-P...a&kw={keyword}

Old 12-13-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoriousRacing View Post
Activated carbon won't filter out bacteria and viruses. Think about some of these Potable Aqua Chlorine Dioxide Tablets or household bleach. I don't have the formula off-hand, but something like 10 drops per gallon, stir and let sit for 4 hours is about right.
From the seller of the carbon filter.

How do these filters work?
The basic filter consists of two separate elements.
First the outer ceramic shell filters out bacteria. It does this because the pores in the ceramic that let the water pass through are too small for any bacteria to get through. The filter pores are around 0.2 microns and bacteria range from 0.5 microns to 10 microns. (see http://www.umsl.edu/~microbes/pdf/in...tobacteria.pdf for basic info on bacteria.) The lab reports below show that for particularly dangerous bacteria these filters are practically 100% effective.
The second element is the activated charcoal which is inside. This filters out many chemicals through a process called adsorption. (See more about activated charcoal below).
A third filter element, the pre-filter sock, can be added and is mainly for applications where the water has a lot of larger particulates in it such as ponds and streams. In comparison to this double or triple filtering, most store bought water filtration systems just use activated charcoal and are designed specifically for use with tap water as the source.
Additionally the ceramic shell is impregnated with silver to prevent bacterial growth inside the filter.

Note: These filters do not remove viruses as they are much smaller than bacteria. Also the filters do not work with salt water.
Old 12-14-2012, 2:32 PM

The other thing activated carbon does not protect against is heavy metals, like hexavalent chromium, which is naturally occuring in groundwater, and very hazardous to your health (although chronic[slow death] and not acute[immediate death]). That is why Brita filters are good because they add ion exchange resins (reduces metals) to their activated carbon.

Still need to filter and/or kill the bacteria and viruses. I've stocked up on SteriPens (and coffee filters), because UV is good against chemicals, viruses, bacteria, cysts,E. coli, etc., but not so good on metals (hope you don't have them; even so they are chronic, not acute) and completely ineffective on solids (but coffee filters are).

Last edited by MotoriousRacing; 12-14-2012 at 2:35 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-14-2012, 7:13 PM

I live in a condo so I have some water bricks, I use water preserver with them which is suppose to keep the water good for 5 yrs. I also have a Katadyn and aquapail as water filters.

For water:
5 gallon LCI water container (same one that the mil use)
3.5 gallon water brick
Or 55 or 125 gallon container if you live in a house.

For food I have mre/ can food and some rice cans from the Mormon website, I also have jasmine rice in mylar bags. I'm currently attempting to grow a garden.

Also a big deal during sandy was fuel.
Old 12-14-2012, 7:45 PM

Here is another place. I bought seveal 55 gallon water barrels and picked them up at a location near me for $ 55 each.

http://www.disasterstuff.com/

Personally, I have 3 full tank of propane, propane heater, stove, sterno, dry fuel tabs, lots of can food (buy an extra or two of each items I usually buy, every grocery trip), Zero Water filter from Costco, a few 5 gallon buckets for water filteration systems(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYG_TLoI9O4), several water preserver, plenty of rice, food that my kids like, a few ready to go ammo boxes that contain 9,40,45,357,.223,30.06), a few BOBs with clothes, first aide, water, food, knives, guns. In case if we bug in, have several door guards (http://www.amerimark.com/cgi-bin/ame...FYl7Qgodd30ANA), blankets, and much much more...

“Old breed? New breed? There's not a damn bit of difference so long as it's the Marine breed.” — Lt. Gen. “Chesty” Puller

“A ship without Marines is no ship of war at all.” — Adm.David Dixon Porter, U.S. Navy, 1864

Blade-Tech Industries
Old 12-14-2012, 7:49 PM

OOh .. and forgot .. Have a plan A, B, and C of where your going to meet as family (we all work) and a few places that you scout out if SHTF and need supplies. This should be your second place to visit once you gather your family together. Does not matter how much items you have, you will need more if SHTF

“Old breed? New breed? There's not a damn bit of difference so long as it's the Marine breed.” — Lt. Gen. “Chesty” Puller

“A ship without Marines is no ship of war at all.” — Adm.David Dixon Porter, U.S. Navy, 1864

Blade-Tech Industries
Old 12-14-2012, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linh View Post
I live in a condo so I have some water bricks, I use water preserver with them which is suppose to keep the water good for 5 yrs. I also have a Katadyn and aquapail as water filters.
Can you tell me the name of that water preserver stuff and where you got it? Thanks.
Old 12-14-2012, 9:17 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt16 View Post
As far as water, what do you guys think of this storage system?.... http://www.costco.com/H2O-Reserve%e2....11757341.html

I have one of these: http://www.costco.com/Shelf-Reliance....11766218.html

and its a really well constructed barrel. I bet it could get knocked completely over and still hold up. For the money, I would buy one of those and get a good filter with replacement cartridges. I have an MSR Miniworks EX and it is a great setup.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:00 PM

Thanks for passing this info on!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Banned

My vote is for MRE's all the way
Old 12-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

If it weren't so awkward and heavy, I'd agree with you. I have a few cases of MRE's and they are great, but I use them in rotation for camping, and other things when camping out of a car (if that counts as camping). I rotate my beans and rice although we never get to use them all. I'd rather have food and water that won't make me blow *** or plug me up. I also like the philosophy of using what you're going to eat, but even in rotation, it won't last longer than about 3-4 years without going pretty bad.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Calguns Addict

I've begun researching home freeze drying. It actually seems fairly simple with just some quart mason jars, a vacuum pump with canning jar attachment, and some loose silica dessicant.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoriousRacing View Post
actually, the filter pictured will do that, the outer shell is filter media as well here is were to get it with specs http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00

edit: bacteria anyway, not viruses

edit#2: and here is the manufacture web site http://www.justwater.me/index.html

Last edited by xgi1991; 12-15-2012 at 12:15 PM..
Old 12-15-2012, 1:52 PM

I don’t really consider myself a prepper but do like to be prepared.

Here is what I did/do. Set small goals and small $. I try not to spend more than $50 a month. First month I decided to put together a BOB. Next month 3 months rice and beans. That was super cheap. 50lb bags from cash and carry, free buckets from Safeway bakery and ebay for mylar bags and O2 absorbers. Then fuel, I got a 5gal gas can and keep it in my trunk. Good to have in car and can run my Colman dual fuel camp stove. Also kinda started getting more “good stuff to eat”. A few Bear Creek soup packets and some canned soup. So now I have 3 months food with 1 month good comfortable food. Next month I will get some more comfort food and a wind up radio/lamp. The comfort food is the store what I eat stuff supplemented with the beans and rice.

As for H2O. I like Arizona ice tea. I get a gallon whenever I go shopping. I just rinse them out and fill with water when empty. I also have a polar pure and a creek not far from my place. I would like to add a few pool shock packets to this in the future(cheap).

So I figure a couple months and I will have 3 months good food, water, light/radio, stove fuel(pressure cooker to conserve fuel). I am doing this monthly with baby steps and figure it will all cost me less than $300. So my thought is if something happened I would be fine for a while or more likely I and a friend or 2 would be fine for a month or 2.

MRE’s and all that stuff are expensive. I also live in an apartment so space is an issue.

In a hurricane/earth quake type event I am covered. No this isn’t a super long term survivalist plan and I guess that’s why I don’t consider myself a prepper. More of a concerned responsible citizen.
Old 12-15-2012, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalkid View Post
I don’t really consider myself a prepper but do like to be prepared.

Here is what I did/do. Set small goals and small $. I try not to spend more than $50 a month. First month I decided to put together a BOB. Next month 3 months rice and beans. That was super cheap. 50lb bags from cash and carry, free buckets from Safeway bakery and ebay for mylar bags and O2 absorbers. Then fuel, I got a 5gal gas can and keep it in my trunk. Good to have in car and can run my Colman dual fuel camp stove. Also kinda started getting more “good stuff to eat”. A few Bear Creek soup packets and some canned soup. So now I have 3 months food with 1 month good comfortable food. Next month I will get some more comfort food and a wind up radio/lamp. The comfort food is the store what I eat stuff supplemented with the beans and rice.

As for H2O. I like Arizona ice tea. I get a gallon whenever I go shopping. I just rinse them out and fill with water when empty. I also have a polar pure and a creek not far from my place. I would like to add a few pool shock packets to this in the future(cheap).

So I figure a couple months and I will have 3 months good food, water, light/radio, stove fuel(pressure cooker to conserve fuel). I am doing this monthly with baby steps and figure it will all cost me less than $300. So my thought is if something happened I would be fine for a while or more likely I and a friend or 2 would be fine for a month or 2.

MRE’s and all that stuff are expensive. I also live in an apartment so space is an issue.

In a hurricane/earth quake type event I am covered. No this isn’t a super long term survivalist plan and I guess that’s why I don’t consider myself a prepper. More of a concerned responsible citizen.
That is truly what it is really about anyways, it is about just taking responsiblity for yourself and your family. Good for you. Something is better than nothing and 3 months is a good number to shoot for.
Old 12-15-2012, 5:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgi1991 View Post
That is truly what it is really about anyways, it is about just taking responsiblity for yourself and your family. Good for you. Something is better than nothing and 3 months is a good number to shoot for.
Anybody with any sense at all, watching what happened after Katrina, watching what's happening now after Sandy, and expecting anything different after the big quakes we expect any day now in SoCal is naive at best. Sandy happened a month ago, and there are still people living like refugees. 3-4 moths of food/water will likely ride out the worst of a major weather catastrophe as long as you don't lose the ability to access it.

Old 12-15-2012, 6:30 PM

Default SHTF food and water, What to get and where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Anybody with any sense at all, watching what happened after Katrina, watching what's happening now after Sandy, and expecting anything different after the big quakes we expect any day now in SoCal is naive at best. Sandy happened a month ago, and there are still people living like refugees. 3-4 moths of food/water will likely ride out the worst of a major weather catastrophe as long as you don't lose the ability to access it.
Amen .. Which is the reason why you want some of your supplies at different places .. For examples: my water barrels, and BOBs are at several places on the property (garage, side of the building, 3 different places by the fense away from the buildings). I also have supplies at my sisters' backyards (for them and for me).

Blade-Tech Industries
Old 12-15-2012, 8:15 PM

Personally I buy more than I need at the grocery and pretty quick have an extra week or two of food. I bought a 10# sack of rice, put it in the freezer a few weeks to kill critters ( supposedly), couple cases of water in my trunk, and Honey, a jar of peanut butter and one of oatmeal for my go bag. kinda looking forward to that actually! supposedly roman soldiers drank olive oil. dunno if that's true but it has a lot of calories in a small cheap bottle

I tried MREs. they're gross and bulky but nice for variety and a hot meal is a huge +++ I'll buy a case some day.

edit- all I expect the gubmint to do is disarm me and throw me to the mob. funny, the folks in NY that went to the evac camps said they were like prisons. you don't say.

Last edited by johnny1290; 12-15-2012 at 8:19 PM..
Old 12-15-2012, 8:46 PM

You definitely need to have a mix if stuff.

MREs are great for short term but if you aren't use to them yeah you could definitely not feel right for days. Remember you might have gone through boot, but the m r s and the kiddies probably haven't. They are calorie dense and no preparation required. I cant use the heating element for squat so I just eat it cold its fine.

Also can foods are great but then you need the can opener lol

Jars of peanut butter are awesome as they can be opened with out tools last forever and when you are done you have nice reusable container.

I have immediate water but I don't stock immense supplies of water as it is heavy and takes up space for food. for the long term definitely one definitely needs to be creative about harvesting water and purify it.

Oh here's a tip dads if you haven't already been through bootcamp or are a nature freak and or not a Eagle Scout I would suggest sending your kids to the Boy Scouts invest in them and make them learn survival.

Hunting, first aid and engineering are probably the most essential skills a person can have when shtf

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-27-2012, 12:39 PM

Nice Thread.

If you live in a house (vs an apartment) I would try the large 55-60 gallon food grade barrels, but I wouldn't pay the outrageous Costco price. Just search for them on Craigslist. I am in Northern CA and can get them for about $20 each. They usually were used once for stuff like soy sauce or balsamic vinegar, or some other liquid and just need to be cleaned out. A power washer does a good job at this, then rinse with a stiff bleach solution, then rinse with water, then let it dry. Once clean, you can fill them with tap water and then a little (like 2 tablespoons/55 gallon drum) of bleach and your water should be good for around 6 months if kept out of the sun. Just drain them and repeat the fill process every so often to make sure the water is fresh. I have 4 right now, and getting 4 more in the next month or so.

Oh, and don't let them sit on concrete. I have heard there is some leaching of the stuff in the concrete into any plastic that is not good. I have mine in a rack made of 2x4s.
Old 12-27-2012, 2:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Dont forget all that water sitting in your water heater.
Thats a go to source for us urban folks who may not have space for large quantities of water.
Old 12-27-2012, 2:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayden View Post
Dont forget all that water sitting in your water heater.
Thats a go to source for us urban folks who may not have space for large quantities of water.
Get yourself some waterbob's for your bathtubs and increase your capacity.
Old 12-27-2012, 2:46 PM
Calguns Addict

If you own a house, piping the water through a series of large containers keeps the water constantly refreshed. Just put a backflow preventer and shutoff on it and you're golden.

Old 12-29-2012, 5:03 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

The internet is full of plans to set up a aquafarm in your house or backyard. Fish, vegies, and water.
Old 12-29-2012, 5:18 PM

Right now at Costco there is a coupon for $3.00 off a $10.00 case of healthy choice soup. 10 cans per case. Limit 4 cases.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 PM

QB's are really great for storing water and they stack really well too. it really depends on how much room you have to store your food. Like a lot of people have already said I tend to favor rice because its cheap and keeps for a long time.

- Rush Limbaugh