Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-07-2012, 9:46 PM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

Default Join the LAPD?

Any LAPD Leo's in here that an give me some advice? Thinking of making the LAPD my next career. I just turned 34 so it becoming very close to being now or never.

Suggestion?
Comments?

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 12-07-2012, 9:51 PM
Banned

Tagged
Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhracing View Post
Tagged
What?

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 12-07-2012, 10:06 PM

Ya me too, what does "tagged" mean?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It means he wants to follow this thread to see what people say.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
Tango Yankee.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
what he said

Some departments will even higher people that are even older than 40. You should go on a couple ride alongs to get a feel for police work. it is a very hard, stressful job. You can't wake up the next day and decide to become a cop. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Bacon makes it better

Well Dfence. I am not LAPD but I would recommend you think long and hard about it. You might head over to officer.com forums to research over there. Policing isn't something you just wake up one morning and decide to do, it is something you are really going to have to want.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:13 PM
CGN Contributor

It's not a choice I've made since this am. Just considering different departments/agencies but making the move into the industry for sure.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:52 PM

Yes.
Do it.

It is a great career. 34 is not too old.

Ask more specific questions if you have them.

www.TASKenforcement.org
Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASK, LLC View Post
Yes.
Do it.

It is a great career. 34 is not too old.

Ask more specific questions if you have them.
Really more curious how they are as a agency? There are a lot of different departments to choose from. I hear a lot if different opinions so thought I would ask.

I know the LAPD gets bad press a lot but I don't take to much of that into consideration. Would like to hear from current and former LAPD if there are some. Why they chose LAPD over say LASD. What they like about that department. What they didn't like. So on....

Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 PM

There are a lot of opportunities to work a lot of different assignments: Speaking with officers from smaller agencies, many have to wait for officers to retire to get a chance to move around.

Officers are not assigned to work custody: While there are a few officers who are assigned to work the Jail assignment due to lack of detention officers, that is not the norm. That assignment ends after 6 months at max.

Virtually the last agency in the world which runs a two-officer car as a standard patrol package: Almost all agencies are single-officer units.

It is hard to cross-compare since everyone joins their agency for different reasons. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's we had a lot of officers leave for other agencies. A lot of those officers came back or tried to come back.

As for LASD, that is an excellent agency also.

www.TASKenforcement.org
Old 12-07-2012, 11:45 PM

LAPD gets a lot of bad press because they do a lot. That and because in Police work, you have to do a lot of things that don't make people happy but is necessary.
Old 12-08-2012, 2:26 AM
Veteran Member

The new hires start with a 20% pay cut which is pretty brutal for the cost of living in the area. The 20% cut lasts for years too even if you promote.
Old 12-08-2012, 3:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yep, thanks
Old 12-08-2012, 3:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASK, LLC View Post
Virtually the last agency in the world which runs a two-officer car as a standard patrol package: Almost all agencies are single-officer units.
Don't forget that the CHP does two Officer cars every night on graveyard as well.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:17 AM

O.com? :insert puke smiley here: I used to be a member over there awhile back - quit in disgust (imagine if everyone in CG was allowed to, i.e. no moderators, freely post in the LEO section and pretend to be LEOs)...

IMO, I would recommend that you talk to as many current LAPD officers as possible and get their opinions. Better yet, go on as many ride alongs as you can, different officers, different stations, different shifts...
Old 12-08-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhracing View Post
Don't forget that the CHP does two Officer cars every night on graveyard as well.
My post was referring to the fact that the two-officer unit was the STANDARD at LAPD.

Many agencies run two-officer units as the exception based on shift or assignment, but it is not the norm. But when you get "that officer" as a partner, sometimes you wish you worked alone.

www.TASKenforcement.org
Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFence View Post
Any LAPD Leo's in here that an give me some advice? Thinking of making the LAPD my next career. I just turned 34 so it becoming very close to being now or never.

Suggestion?
Comments?
The written test is a joke. You do the five year contract with the LAPD and then you can lateral almost anywhere.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:10 PM

The starting salary for LAPD is currently $45,000 or $46,000. After taxes and dues you end up taking home about $35,000. If that's more than you're making now then it's not a bad idea. If you're taking a major pay cut, don't be optimistic and think that your pay will increase quickly, it won't. If money is an issue, I suggest signing up with a different department. If you make it into LAPD, you have to stay for at least 5 years or else they threaten to sue you for the cost of training ($60,000).

If you're 34 and fit, that's better than an out of shape 21 year old. 34 is not a bad age either. Work 20 years until you're 54 or 55. Retire. Collect pension. I started at 21 years old and I have to work a total of 28 years before I'm old enough to collect pension.

- 6 Months Academy
- 1 Year patrol time
- 6 Months in the jail. Pretty much everyone is going there after probation now. LAPD is really short on Detention Officers at the moment. You can extend for another 6 months with a 2% paycut if you want.
- Back out to Patrol.
Old 12-10-2012, 6:42 AM

What are you looking for in a LE career? Do you want to get into an 'assignment' and stay there your entire career? Do you want to promote? What kind of work environment are you looking for? Is geography a concern (remember you may live in OC/IE but could get put in Mission Hills...embrace suckage of a commute)?

Every agency has good and bad points. It depends on your drivers and desires as to which agency is 'better' for you? If you don't want to pull 4-6 years of custody most SD are out. If traffic enforcement/accident investigation is your thing, CHP and large agencies with permanent motor slots are a 'go'. If you want Aero, skip all but a handful of departments (if they don't a have a bird now, they won't be getting one). You get the idea.
Old 12-11-2012, 7:29 PM

pm me with specifics
hopefully I can help you out
Old 12-12-2012, 8:58 PM

I actually like this thread, I am majoring in criminal justice to get a better understanding of where i want to end up. police or probation; I really like both but whatever comes first and will get me into the door. Any tips beside applying everywhere?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:46 PM

Default Options/Benefits

Other than applying everywhere you can also
  1. Find out what jobs are available within the Department and what the Career Ladder looks like.
  2. Find out what the Benefits and Retirement is like. Will the system sustain until you retire? If yes, will it support the lifestyle you desire as a retiree?

Right now you probably just want to be an Officer so bad that you would do it for free (I said that before I got on the job). Don't get me wrong, I love my job. There's nothing I would give it up for except maybe sitting my *** on a white sandy beach and getting paid. Since that's never going to happen, I'm participating in Deferred Comp and other savings plans. I thank God I have a good Pension Plan. For these reasons, AFTER I retire, I will probably have a pretty good chance of chillin' on a beach while collecting my pension checks. Still, if I had no money problems, I'd probably do it for free.

BOTTOM LINE: Research and see what fits your needs/expectations/lifestyles.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:05 AM

CHP hiring re-opens January 2013. You can go anywhere in the state (depending on availability and needs of the department). LA is a place a lot of new officers go.

What's not to like?
Old 12-13-2012, 3:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Carson View Post
The written test is a joke. You do the five year contract with the LAPD and then you can lateral almost anywhere.
I have no idea if things have changed, but when I applied for LAPD in 1975, the written test was waived since I had a B.A. If you have a 4yr. degree, you might want to check into that.
Old 01-01-2013, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Carson View Post
Yes..you can "lateral" if you have a good track record but you are going to leave 5 years of pension contributions behind. LAPD is not a member of PERS..they have their own system and it was and surely still is...non transferable. LAPD is heavily skewed towards "minorities" and females so get ready for that. As for "joining" any PD or agency...you are not just signing up and being issued kit. The process is lengthy and fraught with pitfalls that you have no idea are there. Long story short...the process is like a lottery..some hit it and most do not. I would recommend the shotgun approach rather than specializing as hiring cycles differ from place to place. LAPD was good to me (1964-1989) but it is different now..the golden age is over...take what you find and deal with it. Good luck

Jack Crabb...in "Little Big Man"
Old 01-01-2013, 8:02 AM

The LAPD is a good organization and when I lived in california I knew a lot of great officers and the guys on what used to be anti terrorism (not sure if they went through a name change again but it is still anti terrorism) were great guys.

Become a reserve first, that will help you gain some experience to see if it is a career that you want.
Old 01-03-2013, 2:19 PM

I'm curious why you would choose LAPD. Nothing wrong with LAPD but there are alot of other departments out there. City, County, State, Federal....
Old 01-03-2013, 7:52 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.elite View Post
I'm curious why you would choose LAPD. Nothing wrong with LAPD but there are alot of other departments out there. City, County, State, Federal....
That's just it, I haven't chose and that's why I asked the question to get some feed back. Plus, they are actually hiring and not to many agencies are right now.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 PM

Do you live in LA county? I know a lot of agency in OC county is hiring right now.
I would prefere not to work too close to where I work. But that's just me.
Old 01-05-2013, 2:10 AM

Many agencies are actually hiring at the moment.

How serious are you about it? Enough to put yourself through an academy without being sponsored? Lapd//Lasd is awesome if you can get hired off the bat and sponsored.

Another option would be to check out an academy that you can self sponsor yourself through.

Rio Hondo Police Academy // Fullerton College Police Academy // Golden West Police Academy // San Bernardino Academy.

There are full time 6 month academies and part time 10 month academies.

At least this way you can get a start on your career and if you do complete the academy, you can apply to many departments with a 1 up instead of trying to get hired without a post certificate.

But importantly, this will give you an opportunity to see a bit of what law enforcement is like and if it is all that you imagined it to be, instead of finding out too late / possibly hired/ or possibly getting yourself or someone else killed.

and also for extra info , getting your post certificate through a self sponsored academy will not waive Lapd / Long Beach PD / OCSD academies. So if you get hired by those departments they still require you to go through their own academy. I forgot how LASD // SBSD works because I've heard rumors that they do take post but then others tell me they dont.

Last edited by judoguy; 01-05-2013 at 2:15 AM..
Old 01-05-2013, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhhlexxxis View Post
CHP hiring re-opens January 2013. You can go anywhere in the state (depending on availability and needs of the department). LA is a place a lot of new officers go.

What's not to like?
My step-son went to Truckee straight out of the academy.

Every time you post a For Sale thread without pictures, God kills a kitten.
Old 01-05-2013, 9:42 AM

Rio Hondo is a great academy. They had some issues in the past but everything is cleared up. They also built a new indoor facility, which came out awesome and great staff of instructors.
Old 01-14-2013, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judoguy View Post
Many agencies are actually hiring at the moment.

How serious are you about it? Enough to put yourself through an academy without being sponsored? Lapd//Lasd is awesome if you can get hired off the bat and sponsored.

Another option would be to check out an academy that you can self sponsor yourself through.

Rio Hondo Police Academy // Fullerton College Police Academy // Golden West Police Academy // San Bernardino Academy.

There are full time 6 month academies and part time 10 month academies.

At least this way you can get a start on your career and if you do complete the academy, you can apply to many departments with a 1 up instead of trying to get hired without a post certificate.

But importantly, this will give you an opportunity to see a bit of what law enforcement is like and if it is all that you imagined it to be, instead of finding out too late / possibly hired/ or possibly getting yourself or someone else killed.

and also for extra info , getting your post certificate through a self sponsored academy will not waive Lapd / Long Beach PD / OCSD academies. So if you get hired by those departments they still require you to go through their own academy. I forgot how LASD // SBSD works because I've heard rumors that they do take post but then others tell me they dont.
Which academies offer the part time course? I know Sacramento county used to but they haven't in a while from what I've heard. I am thinking of moving and putting myself through an academy to open up more options that aren't available to me in the state I live in currently, but I can't afford not to work during that time also.
Old 01-14-2013, 3:24 PM

Highly think you should go to one of these classes
and it will answer most of your questions
most of all keep in mind you may have to work
any shift, any day !!

LAPD Candidate Assistance Program (CAP)

LAPD Oral Prep Seminar is at a new location.
Ronald Deaton Civic Auditorium
Police Administration Building
100 W. 1st Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012
2nd Thursdays of the Month @ 6-7:30 PM

HERE'S THE LINK

http://www.joinlapd.com/#

Last edited by URBAN COMMANDO; 01-15-2013 at 7:30 AM..