Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-01-2013, 7:12 PM

Default How to bolt safe to floor?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I have been trying to figure out how I can bolt my safe to the floor properly. I am totally new to this and need help, any advice is much appreciated. These are my main questions:

What anchors should I use and where can I buy them?
What size drill bit should I use?
Can I do this into a hardwood floor?
Old 01-01-2013, 7:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What's under the hardwood? Is it a concrete slab or a crawl space? Hardwood is but a relatively thin veneer.
Old 01-01-2013, 7:29 PM

I think there is a crawl space underneath.
Old 01-01-2013, 7:36 PM

If you have a crawl space it will be difficult to properly anchor it. One suggestion is to Bolt a larger piece of 3/8 plate to the bottom of the safe. Make the plate big enough that it will not fit though any doors or entrances? 12" all the way around the safe is good . It will also help distribute the safes weight over a larger area preventing any damage to the floor joist
Just my .02.
Old 01-01-2013, 7:40 PM
The other white meat.
CGN Contributor

not to say this is asked a lot but..... https://www.google.com/search?q=bolt...w=1920&bih=955
Old 01-01-2013, 9:50 PM
Banned

Put a micro switch under the safe that triggers a instant room filling pepper spray. Safe gets moved and everyone gets dusted.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 PM

Depending on how much work you wanted to do anything can be anchored in place.

You can anchor the safe from the bottom if you can access the crawl space. It is a lot more work but it will be a lot more secure. You need to lay your safe on its side or back and make a template of the hole pattern. Then lay out your template on the floor and mark where the anchor holes are at. Take a small drill but 1/8" and drill a small pilot hole all the way through the floor. Stick a clothes hanger with a tape flag through the hole and crawl under the house and find the flags. Ideally they will be about 2" from your floor joists with at least 1 joist directly under your safe. If your satisfied with the hole locations then buck upstairs. Verify the hole size in the bottom of your safe for anchors. I imagine they are 1/2" holes. At this point you need to determine how thick your floor is and go buy bolts that are at least 2" longer than your floor is thick. You will also need 2 fender washers, 1 lock washers and 1 plate washer (4" square washer) and 1 nut. I suggest hot galvanized or stainless parts for all of this. Drill out the pilot holes to the proper size and put your safe in place. Insert the bolts with one of the fender washers from the top. Take everything else and back under the house. Put the plate washer on the bolt, followed by the fender washer, the lock washer and the nut. You remebered to invite a friend to help right. They hold the bolt on top from spinning and you tighten everything from the bottom. Once everything is tight, your safe is now anchored in place.

Can it be made stronger? Yes but then your gonna have a lot more work.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 01-03-2013, 11:48 PM

No experience on anchoring to a wooden floor w/ crawlspace underneath, since I bolted mine to a concrete slab in my den, but since you are bolting to a wooden floor, I would suggest bolting it to a wall joist/s as well.
Old 01-04-2013, 1:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just did this. My concern was more for earthquakes than theft. I don't know if it was the best way. Here's what I did:

I measured and mapped out where my safes were and the approximate location of the mounting holes. Make sure your safe(s) is (are) as flush with the wall as possible. You will need to clear out your safe as flipping the safe as suggested earlier on its side is more work for me. You will most likely have to partially remove the interior of the safe as well.

Then I crawled under the house to see if anything was in the way. One safe was straddling the old foundation so I had no concerns about strength. The other was in a corner so I wasn't too worried about that either.

Then using a long bit I drilled 3/8" holes and went back under to take my measurements for the 4x4s that I used to reinforce the mounting locations. If you have carpet you will need to stop and clear the bit of carpet material when it gets wrapped around it.

Cut your 4x4s (or whatever you decide) to length. You may have to mount some of the 4x4s at an angle so that you have clearance to fit a wrench to screw them in so make allowances in your measurements to do this if necessary. I learned this the hard way.

Go back under the house and tack-nail your 4x4s in place such that the holes you drilled through your floor are centered in the 4x4s. Pre-drill mounting holes though the 4x4s and 2x6s for what ever size lag bolts you are using so that you can easily tighten them. Make sure you center them as best as you can. I used 1/2" galvanized with one screw and washer at each end of my 4x4 blocks. Mount the 4x4s flush with the sub floor or as flush as you can get it.

Now screw them suckers in. An impact drill makes it a lot less work so use one if you got one.

Back in the house get your 3/8" extra long bit and drill through the holes that you already drilled through the newly installed 4x4s you mounted. Install the lag bolts along with washers allowing for at least 2" of sub floor and carpet (if you have any) plus at least 2" of bite into your 4x4s. I went at least 3" into my 4x4s.

Now put your interior of your safe back along with its contents!

Last edited by zatoh; 01-04-2013 at 1:39 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-04-2013, 3:46 AM

Linkpimp did a really awesome write up on bolting down a safe:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=485561