Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Volunteering for a deployment?

Quick question. How does one go about volunteering to go back to the sand box outside of asking my chain of command? Typical to our 82nd mindset we have decided to forgo medical training to study for the board . Ive looked at MOBCOP and DAMPS but those only seem to help NG and AR components . I would ask my chain of command but after they have "misplaced" my compassionate reassignment papers twice , my faith is dwindling. I remember AKO used to have a feature in which you could volunteer and pick the legth of deployment , is that still around ? Also Im not Airborne , havent been for the past year and do not intend to go so its only a matter of time before im removed for the big 82

1)AR15 Aero Precision Skeletonized Lower
2)Glock 17
3)80% arms router jig for AR15
4)S&W M&p9 or 40 FRAME
Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not sure how it occurs, one of my E-5s volunteered to go with another unit early to mid '12. Anyways, My Brigade is sending a group over later this year doing SFAAT, PRT, and QRF (I think all three). I'd say try and hook up with us but we have more than enough guys, people are fighting to get added.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
I'm not sure how it occurs, one of my E-5s volunteered to go with another unit early to mid '12. Anyways, My Brigade is sending a group over later this year doing SFAAT, PRT, and QRF (I think all three). I'd say try and hook up with us but we have more than enough guys, people are fighting to get added.
Can I as AD go with NG/AR units? I mean im a Medic so hopefully that would have some leverage. Problem is we arent on the deployment rotation til 2014 and even then its just a rumor

2)Glock 17
4)S&W M&p9 or 40 FRAME
Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 AM

i would volunteer just so i could shoot a full automatic assault rifle that feinstein hates. but i will be 70 in may, and don't want to go to jail for shooting first and not waiting for "incoming". i loved my issued M14 better than my issued M16A1 and or M16A2 as they did not have reach.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:26 AM

Not sure how it works but I'm in the USAF and we have UDMs. Unit Deployment Manager, i figure you all would have something similar and thats who I would talk to. Hope it helps and good luck.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavis View Post
Can I as AD go with NG/AR units? I mean im a Medic so hopefully that would have some leverage. Problem is we arent on the deployment rotation til 2014 and even then its just a rumor
I don't see why not, during my last deployment our 1SG got fired shortly after we got in country and his replacement was AD from Ft Carson. I think all the other individual volunteers/ transfers were national guard, the replacement CO was from OK but I don't remember if he was NG or AD.

That deployment was all jacked up, CO and XO fired during the MOB, 1SG lasted a week or two in country, E-4s getting lateraled to Corporal so they can TC trucks and having E-5 and E-6 as gunners and drivers because they were incompetent. Mind you the vast majority (not all) were from P.R.
Old 01-02-2013, 7:27 PM

Your best bet is to ask around and see who is deploying and ask to go. But then you'll have to convince your CO to let you go.

MOBCOP and whatnot is good, but networking with humans will be your best bet.
Old 01-04-2013, 2:03 AM

For NG and AR its pretty easy to jump on a deployment. For AD your going to have to submit a 4187 up through your chain and it is possible for AD to be attached to NG or AR. This is because while deployed we are all the same as far as uncle sam's check book is concerned.
Old 01-04-2013, 2:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blap59 View Post
Your best bet is to ask around and see who is deploying and ask to go. But then you'll have to convince your CO to let you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred1 View Post
For NG and AR its pretty easy to jump on a deployment. For AD your going to have to submit a 4187 up through your chain and it is possible for AD to be attached to NG or AR. This is because while deployed we are all the same as far as uncle sam's check book is concerned.
Chain of Command wont help me because I dont want to go Airborne

2)Glock 17
4)S&W M&p9 or 40 FRAME
Old 01-04-2013, 2:37 PM
Calguns Addict

I have been trying to get back but no one wants an E-8. If I was E-5 I'd be over there again yesterday. The best bet is to find a unit who is about to rotate in, and see if you can swap positions with an equivalent rank and MOS there. The military has allowed troops to change duty stations as long as all parties agree.

I for one don't know why they stopped me after two tours. I was already there, there was no training, travel, or other costs involved that occur when replacing me. And plenty of us wanted to stay!
Old 01-04-2013, 2:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blap59 View Post

BEST OPTION! Nothing beats a FTF no matter what your doing. Ive known some guys to get some damn good assignments all based on shaking hands with the right people who shake hands with the top people. This is how officers get hooked up on those "special assignments" most times...as an enlisted you have to sell yourself and your skills. Some people may look at it in a negative liight as if your abandoning your team, but todays military is like a business. Only you know whats best for you and your family therefore you need to make the right moves to get ahead in life. That means picking and choosing units that have no money hangups... the more money a command has, the better training, weapons, transportation, equipment, morale, etc its going to have....Hooyah

Last edited by Atlantaboi2012; 01-04-2013 at 2:46 PM..
Old 01-04-2013, 6:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantaboi2012 View Post
BEST OPTION! Nothing beats a FTF no matter what your doing. Ive known some guys to get some damn good assignments all based on shaking hands with the right people who shake hands with the top people.
I dont think you understand the 82nd ABN ... if you are not going Airborne , then they usually refuse to help you with anything... thats how our brigade rolls. I tried the "FTF" route when I had a "compassionate reassignment"request all they did was brush me off and lose my paperwork (twice btw). Ive got other exampes , but thats another story. Im asking how to do this with out going FTF, Ive looked into ASK in AKO as well but thats fairly limited so im asking for other options

2)Glock 17
4)S&W M&p9 or 40 FRAME
Old 01-04-2013, 8:05 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm ready to take personal time to go network at Centcom in Tampa.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavis View Post
I dont think you understand the 82nd ABN ... if you are not going Airborne , then they usually refuse to help you with anything... thats how our brigade rolls. I tried the "FTF" route when I had a "compassionate reassignment"request all they did was brush me off and lose my paperwork (twice btw). Ive got other exampes , but thats another story. Im asking how to do this with out going FTF, Ive looked into ASK in AKO as well but thats fairly limited so im asking for other options
I have a lot of buddies in the Duce and your right they all say if you don't want to go airborne and want to stay a dirty leg you wont get anywhere in that unit. With that also being said if your not slated for a deployment right now your probably not going to be unless something happens at the last minute. They pretty much know which units are getting deployed till the pull out at 14. Plus if you go towards the end of that you'll just be on clean up duty getting crap ready to come back.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 AM

You can look at this website- http://www.calguard.ca.gov/g3/Pages/Volunteer.aspx

It's linked through the Calguard site, but I believe it's universal once inside. You have to log in with either your AKO info or CAC. I've never volunteered for anything through this particular outlet, but I believe other people in my battalion have. Good luck bro!

EDIT:: Scratch that, it SAYS it's for guard/reserves. However, IIRC, there's contact info for the units seeking slots filled. You may be able to contact them directly and inquire if you meet the requirements. I would advise being discreet about this though- I don't know how touchy your CoC is about being circumvented.
"... You feel the anger thinking of the loved ones you will never see again, and losing your life infuriates your soul. You rage to get to your feet and grab for a weapon, any weapon. Regardless of your race, culture, or religion, you want to die standing, fighting like a warrior, an American, so others won't have to. For those looking for a definition, this is the price of freedom.

------
SGT Thomas Macpherson KIA 12 OCT 2012
SFC Ryan Savard KIA 13 OCT 2012
"Sine Pari"

Last edited by SGT Loco; 01-06-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 PM

Easy fix, transfer to the 101st and go to Air Assault school.

You will deploy in no time lol.