Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-01-2013, 5:50 PM

Default .300 winmag reloading newbie

Ok so I just purchased the Lee 50th anniversary kit and got my manual that I am reading currently. Just wondering anyone else here reloads 300wm and what do they recommend for just for fun shooting(cheap and lower recoil) no accuracy and then maybe also a starting point for accuracy shooting paper only cost not a huge factor on this one and i know all rifles vary so I figure ill have to experiment a bit there.

Looking forward to having some fun got a few hundred brass saved up and another 60 factory left to shoot.
Old 01-02-2013, 9:34 AM

Welcome to the world of the 300 Win Mag!

I've loaded the 300 for some time, so I'll offer some thoughts FWIW. The 300WM is a big case; it takes a lot of powder. More powder = more $$$. Lots of powder means you can make heavy bullets go fast. Heavy bullets = more felt recoil; it's a physics thing. My favorite load combines a 180 grain bullet and a slow burning powder to give me about 3100 fps chronographed. Great for almost any North American game animal, but perhaps not what you're looking for.

To lighten recoil, shoot a lighter bullet. Speer makes a 100 gr. plinker that might be a fun place to start; http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballist...ail.aspx?id=78 They are not a high velocity bullet, however. Check several loading manuals or someplace like ammoguide.com for minimum loads with some of the lighter (110 - 130 gr.) bullets available in 30 caliber.

You might also research reduced-powder loads by searching some of the forums on cast bullets. Typically, cast bullet loads are lighter than loads for jacketed bullets. Combine a lighter bullet and a minimum load, and you'll end up with something that's very pleasant to shoot and won't erode your barrel.

Beware! Some powders react unfavorably to reduced loads! Exercise due diligence. A reduced load of the wrong powder in a big case can expose more of the powder to the primer flame and create excess pressures.

One of the techniques used in fire-forming cases with reduced loads is to put a pinch of kapok or polyester fiber filling (like for pillows) on top of the powder to hold it against the case head. Don't compress the fiber filling - it doesn't take much to keep the powder where it needs to be for consistent ignition.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction. Enjoy!

Last edited by xhogboss; 01-02-2013 at 9:36 AM..
Old 01-02-2013, 9:38 AM
Banned

TrailBoss might be the way to go to shoot reduced power loads.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamsucker View Post
TrailBoss might be the way to go to shoot reduced power loads.
Great choice! Almost impossible to overload the case.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:54 AM

Thanks, will def check these out, I just want to get something cheap and not so damn hard on the shoulder everytime i go to the range. love my mag but after putting a box down range I dont always feel like shooting any of my others.