Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:05 AM

Default Need advice on getting an external hard drive case

I've had two old school 80GB internal 3.5" Western Digital IDE HDDs since 2002 when I built my first computer. I believe they have XP on them and I'm now a Photographer and would like to use these as a backup.

A few years back I got a really cheap $5 Chinese 3.5" case and neither HDD would read on my Windows 7 laptop. I wanted to find out if a better case, something like THIS IDE CASE would work for me? I do have some stuff on these drives that I wouldn't mind saving but if I could just get them to work I'd be happy. Thanks in advance!

By the way, the reason I'm linking to Amazon is because I have a gift card and would like to avoid paying out of pocket.
Old 12-31-2012, 1:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

When you buy a case for a HD then you spend money on some pieces you really do not need (like the whole interface...) I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-Adapte...gwin+hd+to+usb

With the kingwin adapter you can use SATA, mini IDE and regular ATA/PATA drives. It should work for you.

I love it but I also had to replace the PSU on it with one from ebay, a guy was selling it and he said it was meant to be way tougher than the cheap ones that comes in these kits. I believe him, I have had it running for months at a time whether a drive was conencted or not adn the thing will not die. Best $20 more I spent for something like this. If you can plug in this cradle and make it work then that is all you really need. BTW, the power supply laster for a few months but I ended up leaving it on and did something one day and it just died. Then I found the one below and I have been impressed, I currently have it plugged into an internal BLUR-RAY ASUS drive that I burn disks on on a regular basis. It sits on top of my master system. It says Model: CS-120/050200-E

I had something similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTERNAL-POW...item53f2730335

But I am not sure what brand it was, I know that by looking at it is it UL and CE so that makes it better than China already...

Last edited by stilly; 12-31-2012 at 1:42 PM..
Old 12-31-2012, 1:37 PM

$60 will get you a new hard drive with external enclosure--much larger than what you have now. It makes no sense to spend money to keep old, small, soon-to-fail drives in use.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio...nal+hard+drive
Old 12-31-2012, 3:31 PM

Have you thought of using a hot swap enclosure. Hard drives are removable like usb sticks. This is how I set mine up.