Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-30-2012, 5:18 PM

Default Recommend Me An Intermediate Reloading Kit (or parts)

With the madness going on...I want to get into reloading. Even if the madness subsides, I would still like to be able to cut my costs.

With that said, I know absolutely nothing about reloading, however, I would like to learn. As of now, I only have plans to load .223 (yeah i know, shortages of supplies everywhere) for my AR15, however, I'm trying to figure out which H&K pistol to get as I can't decide between a 9mm, .40S&W or .45ACP, and one of those will be in the mix in the future

Is there a good intermediate reloading kit? I'm going to skip the beginner kits because I rather not buy something cheap.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-30-2012, 5:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT8SPD View Post
With the madness going on...I want to get into reloading. Even if the madness subsides, I would still like to be able to cut my costs.

With that said, I know absolutely nothing about reloading, however, I would like to learn. As of now, I only have plans to load .223 (yeah i know, shortages of supplies everywhere) for my AR15, however, I'm trying to figure out which H&K pistol to get as I can't decide between a 9mm, .40S&W or .45ACP, and one of those will be in the mix in the future

Is there a good intermediate reloading kit? I'm going to skip the beginner kits because I rather not buy something cheap.

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like a Lee Classic Turret kit is right up your alley.

Something like this: https://fsreloading.com/classic-turr...kit-90304.html
Old 12-30-2012, 5:43 PM

"Sounds like a Lee Classic Turret kit is right up your alley."

+1 on Lee Classic Turret Press Kit.

I was in your shoes when I wanted to move up from a single stage. I wanted an intermediate set-up to tide me over before I went full bore. I have stayed with the Classic Turret Press and now load for 7 different calibers, rifle and pistol. It is a great system.

I suggest you resist the urge to judge reloading equipment by how much you spend on it. In fact, as an old timer that grew up dirt poor, I recommend this approach in all facets of life. Judge results, not facades.

Last edited by sghart; 12-30-2012 at 5:47 PM..
Old 12-30-2012, 5:46 PM
Veteran Member

Start looking for primers
Buy as many as you can, whenever you can

Just bought a HK45C for myself
Old 12-30-2012, 5:59 PM

Thanks for the tips...funny thing is I just finished looking up some Lee products before I even checked back to this thread.

I don't mind a kit that is slower in making ammo, as long as I learn something. Much rather crawl before I run.

The price of reloading kits seem to be all over the place from $200-$500 the ones I'm looking at so this one is right there.

What other advice do you guys have that might be helpful to look at? Or is this kit (plus the other things they recommend to order if i plan to reload rifle cartridges) all inclusive?
Old 12-30-2012, 6:32 PM

Might want to look at a dillon 550....
Old 12-30-2012, 8:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiller View Post
Might want to look at a dillon 550....
Another great press, I love mine.
Old 12-30-2012, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

You can also look into the dillon BL 550 and it can be easily upgraded to a 550b as your reloading progresses.
Old 12-30-2012, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

I went with a Lee Loadmaster as my first rig. If you're mechanically inclined, it's a cheaper option for a progressive.

Otherwise, pick up a cheap single stage first.

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 12-30-2012, 9:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I really, really liked the components that came with the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit. I originally wanted to get a Lee Challenger kit since it's at a great price but I researched the parts a bit, read some opinions on here, etc. and I decided I'd rather get the press and get a different scale, powder measure, and some other tools that were not Lee. I became infatuated with the Rock Chucker and really liked the tools/accessories in the kit so I went for that. Pick a press that you like & piece together your own kit so you don't have to buy what you really want later on, I guess I should say.
R.I.P. Thomas C.

Last edited by Javi; 12-30-2012 at 9:43 PM..
Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Steele View Post
Sounds like a Lee Classic Turret kit is right up your alley.

Something like this: https://fsreloading.com/classic-turr...kit-90304.html
Beat me to the punch... Love my press.
I load, .223, .308 and 45acp.... I disable the Auto feature when doing .308, so I can take my time.
For 45, I turn it on and crank it out.

Last edited by jvpark; 12-30-2012 at 10:21 PM..
Old 12-30-2012, 11:50 PM

They nailed it. For intermediate the turret can't be beat.

I have a Pro 1000 I use for 9mm and .223 fwiw.

It's 350rph pistol, I'm guessing 250 rifle but I hand prime.

Doesn't hurt to get a cheapie lee single stage to learn on. I didn't and I should have. I ended up buying one for rifle anyway, only $30 I think.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 AM

+1 on the RCBS Supreme reloading kit
Old 12-31-2012, 11:01 AM

I know this is going to make things more complicated, but with your guys knowledge on reloading...now that you're actually doing it. If you had to do it again...knowing what you know.

How would you build your own kit? Looking at a couple things and learning more the past 24 hours, I definitely want a turret style press opposed to a single press. Some things i'm not sure about such as a scale...i'm sure it's easier with a digital scale?

What kind of scale capabilities should I look into? 1000 gram? Will my cocaine scale work? Just kidding

BTW...I looked at the RCBS kit seems to be around $350. The Lee kit was $200 on FSreloading. The Dillon BL 550 basic loader is $260?

Last edited by GOT8SPD; 12-31-2012 at 11:04 AM..
Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I know this is going to make things more complicated, but with your guys knowledge on reloading...now that you're actually doing it. If you had to do it again...knowing what you know.

How would you build your own kit? Looking at a couple things and learning more the past 24 hours, I definitely want a turret style press opposed to a single press. Some things i'm not sure about such as a scale...i'm sure it's easier with a digital scale?

What kind of scale capabilities should I look into? 1000 gram? Will my cocaine scale work? Just kidding

BTW...I looked at the RCBS kit seems to be around $350. The Lee kit was $200 on FSreloading. The Dillon BL 550 basic loader is $260?
If you were to buy things individually you will likely get components that will last your reloading career, versus some bits and pieces that you may want to replace sooner rather than later.

On the scales, I would highly recommend you get a good beam scale (like an RCBS 505 (which comes in the RCBS RC kit) or Dillon Eliminator). There will be any number of people urging you to get this or that brand cheap digital scale. I have tried a lot of them and all of them fell terrible short. I have concluded those that love their cheap digital scale don't possess a weight check set. But then again, maybe I have just been unlucky. In any case, a beam scale takes the luck component out of it.

I love my Dillon 550B, but frankly, I think you can get everything you want at this point with a Lee Classic Turret. If you want better "other bits", buy the classic turret and everything else separately and you will be done for a long time.

The RCBS RC Supreme Kit is another great option. All the components in that kit will last a lifetime. If you really get into loading, you will have a press in the Rock Chucker that will last the rest of your life. Mine is over 40 years old and works like new, and it has seen some pretty rough service.

If you do go the Dillon route, you will spend quite a bit more, but also will last your lifetime, plus. Dillon also holds its value better than any other brand.

Good luck, have fun.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 PM

Mr. Steele is a voice well worth listening to, IMHO.

I also have a cheap digital scale with a check weight($25 or so), and have no doubt it'snot as good as a beam scale.

That Lee Turret is well built. I don't know its rifle capabilities, but honestly unless you shoot a ton I'm sure it's fine. My progressive is fine, but I'm not sure why I thought I needed that much volume. It's not like I shoot every day.

If I were to do it over I would've gotten a single stage first, learned on that, then gotten a turret or progressive that was capable of all rifle ammo, and had more stations than just 3. It'd be nice to have a powder check station, etc.