Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default When are you supposed to call the cops during a traffic accident?

Long story short.
I was following my friend, we were going straight to get on an on ramp, this guy wants to get on too and is coming from our right, runs the red light for his right hand turn, then ignores her existance and side swipes her like he's drunk and obviously causing over $1k in damages. It looks from my side like he tries to gun it for a second, I flash my lights and honk and he pulls over.
I call the cops because he ran a redlight, caused over $1K in damages and appeared like he was going to gun it. Was I in the wrong?

I dont think so, later before they show up, he tries to give a business card instead because he "left his insurance in his other truck" wants to take off. When I mention the cops he flips the **** out. Shuffles around his truck and miraculously finds some insurance documents but doesnt show license and reg. Jumps in his truck (female friend starts flipping the **** out because he hit her, I try to calm her) and chirps out just as CHP shows up to stops him. CHP is really mad at me

anyways, dark on ramp, sketchie hood, seems sketchie situation, over $1k appears in damages. Was it wrong to call CHP?
Old 12-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

There isn't a limit to file a police report. But the limit to report it to DMV seems to be $750.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffdl16.htm
Old 12-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Calguns Addict

You were NOT wrong. My best advice is that anytime you are in doubt, CALL. CHP doesn't take non injury reports, but they can help verify identity and sobriety. Many agencies do not take non injury reports or private property reports. My former department did.

Always call when there is any significant injury, the other driver is impaired, or being flakey about providing the required information.

"Holy Crud, nothing seems to change on CalGuns.

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
FPC Supporter
Old 12-26-2012, 2:12 AM

Definitely good cause here to call CHP out.
Old 12-26-2012, 6:54 AM
CGN Contributor

No, when I was hit on the Coronado bridge I had a similar situation happen. When it came down to insurance (thankfully no injuries) and the guy did a bail out I at least had the call record so I could go into the station immediately to file a report that my insurance was able to go after the other driver. Considering they left the scene, I felt it was imperative to get my side of the story in ASAP.
Support your resource! Become a Calguns Contributor!
Old 12-26-2012, 7:22 AM
Veteran Member

Good call. It is good to report situations like this. Up here, it seems that CHP will usually only come out if there is an injury. FYI, through experience, the caller usually gets a ticket of some sort.
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 30" or larger barrels & removable Chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 12-26-2012, 8:02 AM

When in doubt: call. Some departments may not respond for non-injury/no-crime (hit&run, possible DUI) collisions. Also an officer may not take a collision report once on scene of a non-injury/no-crime collision depending on circumstances, policy and law.

As for, "...the caller usually gets a ticket of some sort." FALSE. But if this is your experience the more correct statement would be: after the conclusion of an investigation, based on the training and experience of a CVC40600 qualified LEO, a party was found in violation of the listed CVC section and were issued a citation accordingly.
Old 12-26-2012, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
You were NOT wrong. My best advice is that anytime you are in doubt, CALL. CHP doesn't take non injury reports, but they can help verify identity and sobriety. Many agencies do not take non injury reports or private property reports. My former department did.

Always call when there is any significant injury, the other driver is impaired, or being flakey about providing the required information.
CHP takes non-injury reports all the time. On occasion they will allow the parties to "exchange their information" if all looks good.
Old 12-26-2012, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutterduckhunter View Post
CHP takes non-injury reports all the time. On occasion they will allow the parties to "exchange their information" if all looks good.
I guess that varies by area. I worked along side of some very good CHP officers over the years in LA County and they didn't take them. I even worked in the same car paired up one LASD & one CHP on some DUI task forces.

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
FPC Supporter
Old 12-26-2012, 3:55 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Maddog, you did right to call.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What could of happened to him for not having insurance?

He didnt want to give it to us at first and then by miracle found information after we mentioned the cops. I think he made up some stuff lol. He tried to get beligerant even with the CHP officer and the officer was still talking to him as we were leaving.

Could he have gotten a ticket for lack of insurance? Could he have gotten towed?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:26 PM

I have always called and got a report, but that was when I lived in Orange County, I don't expect LE in Los Angeles to respond the same way
Old 12-27-2012, 10:05 AM

"CHP is really mad at me" Totally out of line. If his Sgt. knew that, he'd be lucky if all that happened was he couldn't sit down for a week!

You did right. An on-ramp is part of CHP's primary jurisdiction. I could count on one hand the times I've not taken a report.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm sure he was pissed that he had to work on Christmas and I understand dealing with the general public really sucks. He wouldnt even let me explain why I called, he wouldnt even let me say what was going on or what I saw. He just made me get in my car. I would think tactically, it would be wise to get all information as possible for officer safety. For all he knows, the guy could of threatened us before chirping out and that would of been good information for the officer to have to keep his guard up.

Anyways, back to my previous question as this isnt bashing at all, I just was curious if I was wasting government recourses.
"Could he have gotten a ticket for lack of insurance? Could he have gotten towed?"
Old 12-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Calguns Addict

MadDog, you were not wasting resources. It is the agency's job to prioritize their responses, not yours.

Could he have gotten a ticket for no insurance? Yes

Could he have been towed? Not for lack of insurance.

Quite often on holidays, mst agencies go to minimum staffing levels and some days you run non stop from call to call, and by nature, your patience can get a little thin. It just happens.

I remember one Christmas Eve one of the units working for me handled 31 calls for service in an 8 hour shift. That works out to 15 minutes per call, including travel time, bathroom break, etc. Nights like that, you don't eat, except for the donut you got on your way out when you stopped to use the bathroom. As the only field supervisor on duty that night, I was covering the units in Paramount, Bellflower, Cerritos, Artesia, Hawaiian Gardens, Lakewood, North Long Beach, and East Long Beach. I was only rolling to priority and emergency calls. It was non stop from the time I hit the field at 2200 until I got off at 0600. I didn't even come in for the 2300 hrs and 2400 hrs briefings, which I normally did. One of the busiest nights I ever worked. We handled shootings, robberies, rapes, burglary, fights, etc.

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
FPC Supporter
Old 12-28-2012, 12:22 PM

CHP takes non injuries are bread and butter. 11-82's.

No insurance involved in collision 16028c vc.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Banned

I'd make sure I gave the car's make, year, lic. plate number during the 911 call, and maybe even VIN number.

Maybe they wont "run it" for themselves up couldn't hurt to get it "on file".

I've known 3 people who got hit by cars that had stolen plates on wrong car, were stolen cars, were owned by wanted felons....and each one became a real nightmare for the innocent party.

Just for your own safety I'd try to mimic what seems to be the cops most sacred rule......

ALWAYS CALL IN THE IDENTIFYING INFO as much as you can before even getting 'exposed' to the other party.

That is what cops do, right? Call in at least your lic plate number before they even step out, or more likely call it in before they even hit the red light?

I'm sure just the 'bad guys' knowing that is how it is played heads off many bad situations.

Yeah, I'd call in Make, Year and Lic plate while still in my car and be on the phone while I make "first contact" and let other driver know it.

I don't see how that would even prevent you and other driver "making a deal" to keep it all "off the record". Just don't tell 911 damage is over $750 because you don't know.

Would I do this on a old granny lady myself? Maybe not but I'd do it on just about anyone else and certainly if I was a woman.

If I was a woman I think I'd do it if I was getting pulled over by a marked car on "routine traffic stop" just to make sure there was a secure record of that squad car pulling me over, just so everything says on the up and up.

Last edited by ZombieZoo; 12-29-2012 at 12:24 PM..