Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated > Semiauto Rifles Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Semiauto Rifles Gallery Post pictures of your rifles and carbines here!

Old 11-03-2012, 6:20 PM

Default Why do some use the grip wrap on AK's I seen them and need to know why

I seen a few AK's using that grip wrap or fin whatever it's called and I just don't understaknd why? I like holding the pistol grip and with that fin or wrap you cannot. I have a sporter and it's tuff enough to get a good hold on the rifle. But shooting open handed with the wrap or fin I just don't understand.
Maybe you guys can tell me why some like them and others don't.
I don't.
Old 11-03-2012, 6:23 PM

AKs have grip wraps to make them featureless builds.
If you have a grip wrap, a pinned stock, and a barrel break you can use standard 30rd magazines and no longer need a bullet button.
Old 11-04-2012, 4:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Read the flow charts!
Old 11-05-2012, 1:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post
Read the flow charts!
^^ What he said... http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

But, since no one else has chimed in with a more detail explinaiton, I'll take the liberty of doing so...

If the only thing stopping your AK from being legally considered "featureless" is the pistol grip (lack of all other "evil" features), short from removing the pistol grip, which doesn't work too well on an AK, the next best thing is a grip wrap.

It's uncomfortable, looks silly and I personally don't like them. I've tried. But it's the wrap or the bullet button. For now, I've gone with the bullet button for pure ergonomics and control of the rifle. Besides, it's not permanent and easily removed (under legal circumstances of course).

With a "featureless" AK, you can legally remove the bullet button and if you owned "high capacity" mags before the ban in Jan 2000, you can now use them in your newly "featureless" AK.

It's a little known fact that owning "high capacity" mags before the ban doesn't give you the legal right to use them in a rifle with a bullet button (including an AK), in fact, it's the opposite, it's illegal to do so...

Yes, it's illegal to use "high capacity" magazines in a bullet button firearm.
Old 11-05-2012, 1:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermintman View Post
I seen a few AK's using that grip wrap or fin whatever it's called and I just don't understaknd why? I like holding the pistol grip and with that fin or wrap you cannot. I have a sporter and it's tuff enough to get a good hold on the rifle. But shooting open handed with the wrap or fin I just don't understand.
Maybe you guys can tell me why some like them and others don't.
I don't.
Tough to get a grip on a "sporter" rifle?

Is this you?

I guess you mean sporter saiga, those are indeed crappy for getting a grip but that's why you convert them... The thing is though, even with a grip wrap over a standard AK pistol grip, you have a better grip than the crappy way saigas come in their sporter config. As far as why? Changing magazines without fumbling with tools and such is a bit easier(of course there's also the benefit of being able to use high cap magazines if you've got them as well).
Old 11-05-2012, 1:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Heres an exerpt from my featureless guide that may give you an idea why people choose to use the grip wrap instead of a magazine lock.

Quote:
First lets define Featureless Builds and Magazine Locked Builds in plain English:
A Magazine Locked semiautomatic centerfire rifle has a non detachable magazine limited to 10 rounds and is allowed to have features.

A Featureless semiautomatic centerfire rifle has a detachable magazine with no round limit* and is not allowed to have any features.

Features are Pistol grip, Thumbhole / Folding / Telescoping Stock, Flash Suppressor, Forward Pistol Grip, Grenade / Flare Launcher.

* Note: while there is no limitation of the number of rounds a Featureless rifle can legally hold California still has a separate magazine limit law that applies.
https://sites.google.com/site/featurelessrifleguide/
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Featureless Rifle Build Guide - Now over 100 Muzzle Devices!
Old 11-28-2012, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
Tough to get a grip on a "sporter" rifle?

Is this you?

I guess you mean sporter saiga, those are indeed crappy for getting a grip but that's why you convert them... The thing is though, even with a grip wrap over a standard AK pistol grip, you have a better grip than the crappy way saigas come in their sporter config. As far as why? Changing magazines without fumbling with tools and such is a bit easier(of course there's also the benefit of being able to use high cap magazines if you've got them as well).
The sporter rifle I have has a thumbhole stock. That's not too bad to hold because there is something to hold when you squeeze trigger. But the wrap there's nothing. How the heck you hold the rifle comfortably and shoot? I'll keep my mag locks and use tool to remove mag
Old 12-28-2012, 12:43 PM

I just got a sub 2000 and it has the wrap, picking it up in 8 days now! It did not feel too uncomfortable to hold. Ill let you know how it is to shoot. Though its a 9mm and not a 7.62x39 so I bet its a little different ha.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:44 PM

O and F bullet buttons.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 PM

Location: Where they tax you on everything and give you the shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post
Read the flow charts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPlinker View Post
^^ What he said... http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

But, since no one else has chimed in with a more detail explinaiton, I'll take the liberty of doing so...

If the only thing stopping your AK from being legally considered "featureless" is the pistol grip (lack of all other "evil" features), short from removing the pistol grip, which doesn't work too well on an AK, the next best thing is a grip wrap.

It's uncomfortable, looks silly and I personally don't like them. I've tried. But it's the wrap or the bullet button. For now, I've gone with the bullet button for pure ergonomics and control of the rifle. Besides, it's not permanent and easily removed (under legal circumstances of course).

With a "featureless" AK, you can legally remove the bullet button and if you owned "high capacity" mags before the ban in Jan 2000, you can now use them in your newly "featureless" AK.

It's a little known fact that owning "high capacity" mags before the ban doesn't give you the legal right to use them in a rifle with a bullet button (including an AK), in fact, it's the opposite, it's illegal to do so...

Yes, it's illegal to use "high capacity" magazines in a bullet button firearm.
+2.

What they both said.