Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:35 PM

Default on "JAG" they showed a USMC AAV landing troops on beach and...

it hits the beach, then does a 180 and opens rear door and all the grunts come running out.

I'm like WTF? Do they do a 180 THEN open the door, so the entire insides of the AAT is exposed to possible enemy fire, just so the troops have a straight run from the AAT to up the beach? Tell me that is "just Hollywood".

I'd think they would keep the machine in motion and guys would hop off into little positions of partial cover behind little sand dunes or whatever.

Personally, I'd also want to deploy about a 100 blowup dolls, (in GI colored vinyl) with just enough weight in the feet to make them stand up or kneel, across the beach to try to draw some fire, and dilute any enemy fire.
Old 11-11-2012, 4:08 PM

AAVs have a mk19 40mm launcher and a .50 cal on top they have more than enough firepower to cover themselves on anything short of a dday style landing. I am not a tracker but I have done AAV raids before. I have always ran out the back but, without knowing their doctrine, it would make sense to turn around because it would force the grunts inside to run out instead of hiding behind the cover they would have if they ran out when it was facing the ocean.
Old 11-11-2012, 4:38 PM

IANAG (I am not a grunt), but both times I've done a beach landing in an AAV, the doors (at the rear of the vehicle) were always facing the water.

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 11-15-2012, 6:04 AM
Calguns Addict

We train to drop ramp onthe BFV or open pretty much any door away from enemy fire. Bullets hitting inside a vehicle could be dangerous.
Old 12-15-2012, 9:43 PM

Typically when Marines disembark from the AAV after an ADDRAC has been given, the AAV forms the base of fire at 12 o'clock. Not only does this provide the obvious firepower, but it also helps the Marines orient to the target when they come out of the back. If the squad leader has his crap together, he should direct his fire teams to split left and right of the AAV. It would be absurd to discharge personnel out of the back of the AAV into oncoming fire. It's the job of the AAV crew to ensure that doesn't happen.

If the AAV is discharging personnel under conditions that do not involve incoming fire, then typically the situation will dictate how the AAV can orientate itself and the personnel can exit.

And to answer the OP's question, yes it is just Hollywood being Hollywood.

WTS: Sig P239 (off-roster)/G23/G27 - I'm out of state, will ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W.
For California they will be shipped non-destuctively blocked to 10 rounds to comply with the stupid and hateful decrees of our stupid and hateful insane clown Marxist moron bandit overlords in that festering moral and intellectual dung heap known as Sacramento.
Old 12-15-2012, 9:44 PM

Typically when Marines disembark from the AAV after an ADDRAC has been given, the AAV forms the base of fire at 12 o'clock. Not only does this provide the obvious firepower, but it also helps the Marines orient to the target when they come out of the back. If the squad leader has his crap together, he should direct his fire teams to split left and right of the AAV. It would be absurd to discharge personnel out of the back of the AAV into oncoming fire. It's the job of the AAV crew to ensure that doesn't happen.

If the AAV is discharging personnel under conditions that do not involve incoming fire, then typically the situation will dictate how the AAV can orientate itself and the personnel can exit.

And to answer the OP's question, yes it is just Hollywood being Hollywood.

WTS: Sig P239 (off-roster)/G23/G27 - I'm out of state, will ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W.
For California they will be shipped non-destuctively blocked to 10 rounds to comply with the stupid and hateful decrees of our stupid and hateful insane clown Marxist moron bandit overlords in that festering moral and intellectual dung heap known as Sacramento.
Old 12-27-2012, 5:16 PM

My first 4 years in the Corps I was an 1833 (AAV Operator and crew chief), and no they don't do a 180 and then unload the infantry. The AAV will always face inland (ramp towards the water) and will begin to lay suppressive fire until everyone is unloaded. The AAV's may actually push forward until the grunts can press on.

As stated above if it is a permissive environment anything is a possible, from landing online and going in a 180 defensive position, to a wedge formation, etc, etc.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:38 AM

USMCbassman is correct, you're just seeing Hollywood BS, like the 100-rnd magazines and grenades that explode like 500lb bombs.

Even in boot camp using the decommissioned AAV "props," we were the ones doing the 180, splitting left/right to form a base of fire before "storming the beach."

Doors never open into enemy fire where a MG can lay waste to the vehicle's soft-spot and carries personnel.