Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-26-2012, 9:05 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Gun buyer vanished...

Ok, so how do I deal with this one? Purchased a handgun almost 4 months ago, never stepped foot into the shop after purchase. Numerous phone messages went unanswered, and finally phone was disconected. We had a friend check the system for him, and he wasnt showing up dead or in jail. No way of contacting him other than mail I supose.

I was going to call the DOJ tomorrow and ask what I need to do (other than cancel his dros obviously..).

Surely someone here has dealt with this one..

Rob
209-823-4400

Webstore http://store.elitearmsandsupply.com/
www.facebook.com/elitearmsandsupply

Our new web store is up and running!

Sig Sauer, Glock, Vortex, Kimber, Beretta, Benelli and Wilson Combat Dealers.
Old 12-26-2012, 9:46 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvejunkie View Post
Ok, so how do I deal with this one? Purchased a handgun almost 4 months ago, never stepped foot into the shop after purchase. Numerous phone messages went unanswered, and finally phone was disconected. We had a friend check the system for him, and he wasnt showing up dead or in jail. No way of contacting him other than mail I supose.

I was going to call the DOJ tomorrow and ask what I need to do (other than cancel his dros obviously..).

Rob
Rob, you do know DROS cancel on their own after 30 days right? You should not be delivering any firearms to a DROS that is over 30 days from start.

Send him a registered letter stating that starting effective immediately, there will be a $100 storage charge every 30 days (7 days, whatever you choose) if he does not pick up his pistol. Once the time goes by and his deposit is depleted, sell his gun.

I need to do that on a bunch of lowers I could be selling right now.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 12-27-2012, 5:11 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Yes, totally aware of the 30 day rule.. But I was told by DOJ that to "cancel" a handgun dros after 30 days, I had to do it in writing?

The registerd letter was our last thought as well. Your idea pretty much follows what we were thinking of doing.

Thanks!
209-823-4400

Webstore http://store.elitearmsandsupply.com/
www.facebook.com/elitearmsandsupply

Our new web store is up and running!

Sig Sauer, Glock, Vortex, Kimber, Beretta, Benelli and Wilson Combat Dealers.
Old 12-27-2012, 5:51 AM
Veteran Member

Not to threadjack but just want to keep the responses together.

I'm stuck in the same situation. A customer bought and paid for a Ruger revolver and an M1A Scout in March. The DOJ put an indefinite delay on his DROS. Since then I have tried to communicate with him three times by email without any response. A couple of weeks ago I sent him a letter offering to send a check for (nearly) the full purchase price. I asked him to respond in writing by either letter or email. Nothing yet.

I guess I will try the registered letter next.

Old 12-27-2012, 5:56 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifax View Post
Not to threadjack but just want to keep the responses together.

I'm stuck in the same situation. A customer bought and paid for a Ruger revolver and an M1A Scout in March. The DOJ put an indefinite delay on his DROS. Since then I have tried to communicate with him three times by email without any response. A couple of weeks ago I sent him a letter offering to send a check for (nearly) the full purchase price. I asked him to respond in writing by either letter or email. Nothing yet.

I guess I will try the registered letter next.
Another option too if you don't want to necessarily keep his money is just take the item off his sales order (if you use Point of Sale like I do). So it will show he has a balance in the store, but if he comes back and asks about the gun he put on hold months ago, say you tried to contact him, he did not respond, so you sold the gun and here is his money back.

My challenge is transfer lowers that the customers paid for in full and have been in my safe for over 5 years!

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 12-27-2012, 6:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
Another option too if you don't want to necessarily keep his money is just take the item off his sales order (if you use Point of Sale like I do). So it will show he has a balance in the store, but if he comes back and asks about the gun he put on hold months ago, say you tried to contact him, he did not respond, so you sold the gun and here is his money back.

My challenge is transfer lowers that the customers paid for in full and have been in my safe for over 5 years!
I suppose that makes sense. Thanks Wes.

Old 12-27-2012, 6:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
I knew I forgot something !

Seriously, 5 years ?
Old 12-27-2012, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvejunkie View Post

Rob
Hmmmm, what gun was it? I'll claim it if he doesn't want it. Hehe.
Old 12-27-2012, 7:02 PM
Calguns Addict

What is your written policy regarding storage and abandon firearms? That is the first step. An easy way to solve the problem is to have a high storage fee and something in writing which states that the firearm will be considered abandon after so many days. Worst case, they sue you, you show the policy and perhaps you have to pay the value of the firearm, less storage fees.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein