Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:53 PM

Default Shipping Out of State Questions

I want to sell a complete AR-15 lower to a friend that lives out of state. How do I go about doing this? I thought I had to use a local FFL Dealer to ship the lower for me, but I called a gunshop and they told me that I can just ship it out to my friend's FFL Dealer on my own. Can someone confirm this for me?

If I do ship the lower on my own, do I have to notify the shipping company that the content in the box is a firearm?
Does the AR-15 lower need to be in the CA legal configuration when I ship it out? (fixed 10 mag with bullet button)?
How do i do a PPT with someone outside the state?
Old 12-27-2012, 2:28 PM
Calguns Addict

There are many threads on this. Yes, you can legally ship a firearm yourself. The FFL may or may not have their own rules regarding receiving firearms from a non-FFL.

Yes, you need to notify the shipper that it is a firearm. An adult signature is also required, but it can be cheaper to insure for over $400, which often requires an adult signature.

Handguns can not go USPS except from a FFL. FedEx & UPS have shipping requirements for handguns, which make it expensive. Long guns, including lowers, can be shipped ground or USPS. The Post Office might have a problem with a lower since it is small and they might think it is a handgun. I once had a fun time shipping a stripped lower at UPS. The clerk claimed it had to be shipped overnight. I asked her to get her supervisor who confirmed that long guns did not have to go overnight, then he looked at the very small box, so I had to explain that it was a lower and it was considered a firearm, as well as not a handgun. Problem solved :-).

A lower is not semi-auto, therefore it is CA legal and does not need a bullet button. If you put it together, then it would need to be in a CA legal configuration if it is in CA. You could take all the parts outside of CA, put it together and then ship it.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein