Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 02-24-2013, 2:26 PM

Default Please Help In So Cal

Hello Fellow Cal-Gunners. Sunday Feb 17th my Nephew Damian Kevitt was the victim of a hit & run and left for dead on the I-5 Frwy in Griffith Park. He has lost his right leg below the knee and the left is in limbo as to whether it will survive. Both his legs, arms, wrists, and multiple ribs are broken. He has broken and missing teeth and very little skin left. This is the most horrible hit & run I have heard of short of it being fatal. Please help us catch this disgusting person.

Here is an article about it and I would appreciate it if you could share this on your Facebook if you have one. If you are in So Calif please keep your eyes out for this vehicle and report it if you see it.

Glendale News Press

Also an article in "Biking in LA" read the comments below the original article. Its chilling and amazing.....

Have a family issue need to sell off my Front Sight Diamond Memberships to raise money.
PM if you have thought about buying one.

I don't regret burning some bridges. I regret that some people weren't on those bridges when I burnt them!

Last edited by Dirtbikindad393; 02-25-2013 at 11:02 PM..
Old 02-24-2013, 2:47 PM
Likes Puppy Chow or Ammo
CGN Contributor

Sorry to hear about this.

Older grey toyota sienna with a “For sale” sign with the partial phone number of (213) XXX-0776 posted in the rear window.

They should hopefully be able to find this guy.
Old 02-24-2013, 2:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Prayers for him.

Will keep a look out
Old 02-24-2013, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull30 View Post
Sorry to hear about this.

Older grey toyota sienna with a “For sale” sign with the partial phone number of (213) XXX-0776 posted in the rear window.

They should hopefully be able to find this guy.
One would think but its been a week and nothing yet. Car may have been to a chop shop or south of the border by now.

Have a family issue need to sell off my Front Sight Diamond Memberships to raise money.

I don't regret burning some bridges. I regret that some people weren't on those bridges when I burnt them!
Old 02-24-2013, 3:39 PM

wow, i am so saddened to hear this. who could be that sick. i understand the crap i just did something horrible run effect, but this just shows the wrecklessness of modern america. i hope they catch this individual and he fries. this is just unacceptable. will be on the lookout and god speed on finding this whackjob!
Old 02-24-2013, 7:12 PM

Sorry that sucks, I had just read the article a little while ago.

I drive up and down the 5 freeway and will keep an eye out... Hope he gets well soon...
Old 02-24-2013, 7:19 PM

Prayers for him and his family.
Old 02-24-2013, 7:27 PM

dltd

Last edited by gc61132l; 06-13-2013 at 2:16 AM..
Old 02-24-2013, 9:55 PM
Calguns Addict

"The minivan was described as having a “For sale” sign with the partial phone
number of (213) XXX-0776 posted in the rear window."

It's highly possible if it was for sale, that it might have been listed on Craigslist or elsewhere online. I would immediately think to start doing searches online of Toyota Sienna vans for sale in the 213 areas, looking to match numbers or cars of that color, and try to determine a source.

It sounds like if the driver had not tried to hit and run, this likely would have been a minor low-speed tumble off the bike, able to get back up and ride off without an issue. This serious or fatal hit-and-run stuff seems to be increasing exponentially in the last 2 years.

Sorry to hear of his predicament, and I hope they nail the bastard soon. Will keep my eyes open.

Good luck.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gleam View Post

It's highly possible if it was for sale, that it might have been listed on Craigslist or elsewhere online. I would immediately think to start doing searches online of Toyota Sienna vans for sale in the 213 areas, looking to match numbers or cars of that color, and try to determine a source.

It sounds like if the driver had not tried to hit and run, this likely would have been a minor low-speed tumble off the bike, able to get back up and ride off without an issue. This serious or fatal hit-and-run stuff seems to be increasing exponentially in the last 2 years.

Sorry to hear of his predicament, and I hope they nail the bastard soon. Will keep my eyes open.

Good luck.
It's become a huge problem in LA with almost half of all crashes being hit-and-runs. LA weekly had a good article on it in early December (http://www.laweekly.com/2012-12-06/n...-dead-injured/). I rode a bicycle to work a few times when I lived in LA and had way too many close calls. Also got hit twice in 3 years on my motorcycle. It's a bad place to be on two wheels in.

Good luck Dirtbikindad393, hope they get the guy and that your nephew has as good of a recovery as can be hoped for given his horrible injuries.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Good luck.
All very correct maybe a broken bone, but now its so much more than that. It is a life changer for my Nephew as well as our whole family. I hope this is the correct thread to post this in so we get Cal-Gunners updated and exposure to this crime. If not could it be moved to the correct thread.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:

Good luck.
That's what I'm doing right now. Googling: 213 0776 Toyota sienna

So far just a lot of articles and people trying to track the vehicle down.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
That's what I'm doing right now. Googling: 213 0776 Toyota sienna

So far just a lot of articles and people trying to track the vehicle down.

I've been doing the same since my post; same results you are getting.

Was also perusing the listing by "pic" and opening the ads with photos of similar colored vans for sale; interesting trend that I noted about MOST ALL of the vans for sale that were posted, is that NONE of the photos showed any with a "For Sale" sign in the back window in the pics on Craigslist; my point is, that if you were to come across a van that DOES have a for sale sign in the rear window in the ad, but no phone number in the posted ad, look closely at the pic.

To give you an idea of how far I took my search, I then looked at similar LOOKING vans with 0776 as part of the ad, and the closest I came is likely unrelated:

OldsMobile Cargo Van 1997 - $1500 - (626) 626 0776

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...636380848.html
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I've been doing the same since my post; same results you are getting.

Was also perusing the listing by "pic" and opening the ads with photos of similar colored vans for sale; interesting trend that I noted about MOST ALL of the vans for sale that were posted, is that NONE of the photos showed any with a "For Sale" sign in the back window in the pics on Craigslist; my point is, that if you were to come across a van that DOES have a for sale sign in the rear window in the ad, but no phone number in the posted ad, look closely at the pic.

To give you an idea of how far I took my search, I then looked at similar LOOKING vans with 0776 as part of the ad, and the closest I came is likely unrelated:

OldsMobile Cargo Van 1997 - $1500 - (626) 626 0776

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...636380848.html
First of all thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Thank you to those running down leads on craigslist and auto trader etc. If anybody gets info they think applies to this vicious crime please call Altadena CHP office at 626-296-8100 ask for Sgt Brown or Officer Murphy.

As far as the 1997 olds, chp is looking into that lead as well as other leads from tips as far away as Tampa Florida.

The description in the chp press release;

Older model Gray Toyota Sienna minivan. Please do not try to contact any of the people that put phone numbers in their for sale ad just call the Altadena CHP to report the lead/tip.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 PM

I drive a truck through that area once or twice a week. I'll keep my eyes out EVERYWHERE, though; you may be certain of that.

Having ridden 1000's of miles on a bicycle and 10,000's on motorcycles, I feel fortunate to not have been hit.

I don't know you and I don't know your nephew, but, ********, this sucks.

I wish Damian the best and fastest recovery possible under the circumstances.

Last edited by 200Apples; 02-25-2013 at 4:23 PM.. Reason: ...to spell Damian's name correctly
Old 02-25-2013, 12:37 PM
CGN Contributor

I am sorry to hear this. Will be praying.
Old 02-25-2013, 2:57 PM
CGN Contributor

Always horrible to hear about stories like this. Two friends of mine were hit in Norwalk a few years back. Both taken to the hospital. One was released that night and the other a few weeks later. The day after it happened we met up with the one that was released that night, to go check out the scene and gather parts/etc left behind.

He was a police dispatch for 15+ years and was talking about how he was hit, thrown over the car and mid air turned towards the car, caught the make/model/estimated year and partial plate number before hitting the ground.

While we were there I have my buddies shoes, and pieces of the car that had shattered during impact, headlight/turn signal. Just then we look across the street to see a matching car, with blue tape around the windshield, and a broken signal across the street. Immediately called the police. By the time we got thru and talked to dispatch, there were multiple cops surrounding the car. Caught the old lady that had hit them just feet from where it happened.

Wild how it works out. I wish Damian the best.
Old 02-25-2013, 3:07 PM

I will be praying for your nephew. It makes me sick that someone is capable of committing this kind of act. I hope they catch the guy who did this.

Old 02-25-2013, 5:06 PM

my prayers for your nephew. As a fellow cyclist and one who lives in the area of the accident i am both shocked and petrified. Hope that he has a speedy recovery and that the bastard who hit him is caught and brought to justice.
Old 02-25-2013, 8:11 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your newphew!
Old 02-25-2013, 8:34 PM

That's just awful. I've got friends in the area and will forward this to them to keep an eye out.
Old 02-25-2013, 9:27 PM
Veteran Member

I'm in the area a lot and drive everywhere with a dashcam. Wishing your nephew well.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-25-2013, 9:49 PM

Update:

Channel 7 News is covering the story at 11:00 PM tonight. We anticipate Damian (my nephew) has had surgery almost every day. Today's surgery was to clean skin to prevent infection. Tomorrow is a replacement shoulder joint.

Thank you all for keeping your eyes open and ears to the ground. Together we will bring this person to justice.

Link to Channel 7 news story which was the lead story last night on the 11:00 news.

Last edited by Dirtbikindad393; 02-25-2013 at 10:32 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 9:57 PM

Will keep an eye out, Hope the person responsible is found and briught to justice.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:10 PM

I doubt the driver was sober enough to even remember, nor legal enough to do anything about it.

So sorry to hear this Dad.. very sad.
Old 02-26-2013, 9:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Bumping to keep this in the forefront; I want to see this piece of crap caught.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:28 AM

To all who have a Facebook please share this link to the Channel 7 News story. And please share the CHP office phone number 626-296-8100 ask for Sgt Brown or Officer Murphy.

Channel 7 News Video

Old 02-26-2013, 5:45 PM

KTLA Will carry the story on the 10:00 news tonight.

Old 02-26-2013, 6:32 PM

OMG, disgusting, they will burn in HELL for sure!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 8:41 AM

KTLA Link to Video The reporter kept calling it a Dodge minivan but the CHP says that witnesses called it a Toyota Sienna so it could be any of several brands but it should be gray or tan in color and an older model such as late 1990's ie: 1996-up or early 2000's.

http://ktla.com/2013/02/26/cyclist-l...#axzz2M4r4dHNS

Old 02-27-2013, 11:35 AM

I hope your Nephew will make a good recovery.

I live in the area and will keep a sharp eye out for every Van I see and will tell my friends and neighbors. This scumbag needs to be brought to Justice
Old 02-27-2013, 6:34 PM

This just makes me angry. I hope someone is able to help identify the driver and see justice done.

Unfortunately, in Los Angeles, 50% of accidents are hit-and-run, compared to about 10% for the rest of the country. Its sad, criminal, and in a word..evil. Why so many here? Maybe a lot of drivers with no license or no insurance, who knows.

Anyone who sees a hit-and-run, has an obligation to notify authorities and make sure the perpetrator is apprehended. Next time it could be you or one of your family members.
Old 02-27-2013, 9:30 PM

IDK but that Olds sure looks like a Sienna!

http://www.8passengerminivan.org/wp-...ota-sienna.jpg
Old 02-28-2013, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR512 View Post
IDK but that Olds sure looks like a Sienna!

http://www.8passengerminivan.org/wp-...ota-sienna.jpg
Yes it does and we are running down leads on those too. I just got a lead from a fellow Calgunner that I am turning over to the CHP investigators. Please if you see any brand minivan that matches the description call it in 626-296-8100 Sgt Brown or turn it in like this one came to me via PM.

Thank You gang!!!

Old 03-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Any updates? I haven't heard anything anywhere yet. I hate hit-and-run drivers as much as I hate DUI drivers, because quite often, they are one and the same.

Old 03-02-2013, 3:33 PM

So sorry to hear.

I have a few computer scripts running against google with sequential integers for the unknown part of the phone number, piping output and looking for a match on anything related to "for sale" "toyota".

If I find anything, I'll report back asap.
Old 03-05-2013, 2:46 PM

Press conference yesterday where Councilman Tom LaBonge announces a 25k dollar reward leading to the arrest & conviction of this *****!

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=9014588

Keep your eyes open and maybe get some cash while doing it!!!!

Thank You,

DBD

Old 03-10-2013, 8:39 PM

Update Update....My nephew was moved out of ICU to a regular room. 3 weeks in ICU and he is out. He looks so good and his spirits are so good. He is playing down how much pain he is in I know that but he looks great. We still need to catch the cold hearted person that did this and we still need to keep him (My nephew Damian) in your prayers. He has had 6 surgeries to date and many more to come. Tuesday he goes in to repair his worst shoulder.

Thank all for your kind words, prayers and thinking about Damian and his wife.

Last edited by Dirtbikindad393; 03-11-2013 at 8:56 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Have you or anyone else thought about placing a reward for information?
It was posted on Page 1 of this thread; you must've just missed it.

Quote:
Dirtbikindad393

Press conference yesterday where Councilman Tom LaBonge announces a 25k dollar reward leading to the arrest & conviction of this *****!

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=9014588

Glad to hear about his upgrade and his good spirits!
Old 03-29-2013, 3:50 PM

Tonight all the big news channels 2, 4, 5, 7 9 and 11 will cover this story.

The Critical Mass Ride Salutes injured Cyclist Damian Kevitt.

The organizers of the Critical Mass Family Ride (lacriticalmass.org) will have up to 4000 bicyclists routed by USA Medical Center in honor of injured hit & run victim Damian Kevitt still in the hospital from injuries suffered in a hit & run.

Set your DVR or tune in to your favorite station tonight Friday 03/29/13 for coverage of this momentous event.

Background:

Damian Kevitt was riding his bicycle with his wife on a Sunday morning in February, heading from the LA River bike path to the LA Zoo, when he was hit by a light-colored mini-van and dragged under the car for nearly a 1/4-mile and left for dead on the 5 Freeway. Witnesses said the van had a For Sale sign in the rear window with Spanish writing and a telephone prefix of 213. Damian was wearing a helmet and bike gloves which saved his life, though he suffered over 20 broken bones, several deep gashes in his legs (to the bone), severe road rash all over his body with particular damage to his backside and his right leg had to be amputated below the knee. Doctors are still working to save his left foot. He has had 9 surgeries in a period of 6 weeks and more to come. He is undergoing surgery #9 today.

Tonight!
LA Critical Mass is the largest community bicycle ride in America (lacriticalmass.org). Approximately 4,000 cyclists will ride past the hospital in salute to fallen cyclist, Damian Kevitt. The mass of cyclists, including families, seniors and other bicycle enthusiasts, will ride along Mission Blvd and the corner of Marengo on the west border of the hospital where Damian is. They will arrive at the corner of Marengo and Mission at approximately 8:20pm. There will be a banner posted on that corner dedicating the ride to Damian. Damian's mother, Michele Kevitt Kirkland, will be there to wave to the cyclists as they ride by.

$25,000 Reward
The Altadena CHP are seeking the public's help to find the driver of the van who hit Damian and sped away, dragging him under his car. Councilman Tom La Bonge issued a $25,000 reward for information leading to the capture, arrest and conviction of the driver. It is important to broadcast the message that anyone can come forward without fear of consequences regardless of their immigration status, outstanding tickets, etc. The CHP will ask no questions and are not interested in their immigration status--they only want information that could lead them to the driver. As well, anyone with information can call WE TIP hotline and give information anonymously and still receive the reward money, if their information results in conviction of the driver who hit Damian.

How to Report Information

1) WE TIP has bilingual operators 24/7. The website is wetip.com. The phone number is: 1-800-782-7463 or 1-800-78 CRIME (not for texting)

2) Altadena CHP: 626-296-8100

Additional Note
Damian is very determined to have a good recovery and ride his bike again. He is alert, intelligent and has a positive attitude. Damian has said, "I will be able to recover and walk away from this horrific accident. Unless the driver of the van who hit me, comes forward and proper justice is done, he will never be able to recover--he will never be able to walk away from this--he will live a miserable life of lies, hiding and knowing exactly what he did to his fellow human being."