Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 4:40 PM

Default Buying ammo online to San Francisco - what's the deal?

I'm new to the city (came here for work-related matters) and didn't realize that most (all?) online ammo retailers have a no-ship policy to SF due to (I think) city ordinance.

My question is -- is there a workaround? What do y'all end up doing? Only in-person purchases? Would it be above board to hypothetically have someone else not in SF purchase it? Surely there aren't regs around straw man ammo purchases (though with the SF lunacy in general I wouldn't be surprised.)

I'd hate to place an order only to have it confiscated (best case) or end up with some kind of fine or more.

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2013, 4:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Use the local name for the area you live. Down here in Los Angeles we have a lot of small towns that were incorporated into Los Angeles City. Using the old name for area instead of San Francisco might work.
Old 02-10-2013, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doran4x View Post
Using the old name for area instead of San Francisco might work.
It hasn't been called "Yerba Buena" since 1846
Old 02-04-2013, 4:46 PM

Interesting. I thought about that but so far seems like they're just checking my zip code.
Old 02-09-2013, 7:51 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktb View Post
Interesting. I thought about that but so far seems like they're just checking my zip code.
Its all zip code. have it sent to a friend/relative outside a SF zip
You can send it to me if you like
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 AM

I am a SF native and I am unaware of an ordinance banning ammo shipments to San Francisco, such laws would violate federal law but you will find many firms and individuals will refuse to sell anything to people in California.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by union thug View Post
I am a SF native and I am unaware of an ordinance banning ammo shipments to San Francisco, such laws would violate federal law but you will find many firms and individuals will refuse to sell anything to people in California.
Interesting. Thanks for the note. Just placed an order from a site my father in law suggested. Submitted successfully and didn't see any restrictions for CA, so we'll see.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 PM

BTW - I have been searching for almost a week now; is there an actual law or ordinance that prohibits this? Or is it (as I've also read) a misinterpretation of other laws that are causing vendors to think they can't ship to SF. Mostly, I've seen "no shipping to LA, SF, etc. without a FFL". Typically I'm all about "ask for forgiveness, not permission" but I also don't want to end up on the wrong side of the law.
Old 02-10-2013, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktb View Post
BTW - I have been searching for almost a week now; is there an actual law or ordinance that prohibits this?

Currently there are no legal restrictions on shipping ammo to San Francisco residents. I live in the city and mostly order form Cabellas and Gander Mountain without problem
Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 PM

@ ktb - what often happens is that a city or county puts some restriction in place (.50 BMG for example), or starts talking about doing so, and the merchants overreact and stop shipping lots of things. The restriction may even be overturned by a court, but the merchants don't want to risk it, or take the time and effort to do the legal research.
They are in CYA mode, and we get the short end of the stick.

If you are an American who is not subject to the UCMJ, then you are a civilian. It is disrespectful to our military members to claim otherwise.

Demanding that LEOs be held to a high standard of professional conduct is a show of respect for the LE profession. Let's all be respectful.
Old 02-09-2013, 7:39 AM

There is nothing on the books that I know of, but companies are refusing to ship based on proposed bans. Cheaper than Dirt stopped shipping ammo of any kind years ago, but there are still a number of companies that will still ship ammo to SF addresses.
Old 02-10-2013, 3:19 PM

I've ordered from cabelas many times and they still ship to sf. Just got a shipping confirmation from wideners, so the ship to sf too.
Old 02-10-2013, 3:33 PM

WARNING: Ammunition cannot be shipped to Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, Ventura and Yolo counties, CA; Carson, Berkeley, Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento and San Francisco, CA; HI; Chicago, IL; New York City; D.C.; MA; Canada or Puerto Rico. Ammunition cannot be shipped Parcel Post. Please check your State, County and City laws for restrictions before ordering Ammunition.
Old 02-10-2013, 6:38 PM

Default Sportsmans guide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns4funca View Post
WARNING: Ammunition cannot be shipped to Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, Ventura and Yolo counties, CA; Carson, Berkeley, Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento and San Francisco, CA; HI; Chicago, IL; New York City; D.C.; MA; Canada or Puerto Rico. Ammunition cannot be shipped Parcel Post. Please check your State, County and City laws for restrictions before ordering Ammunition.
I don't get this one. I am in Contra Costa county and have had several shipments in the past year from others - don't know why these guys refuse (especially when they had some ammo at a great price last month!).
Old 02-12-2013, 2:46 PM

This is an issue of suppliers discriminating against areas that they perceive to be Anti 2A, not an issue of local laws preventing the shipments.
Old 02-10-2013, 4:07 PM

err...that's Sportsman's guide policy..
Old 02-10-2013, 4:15 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Using the old name for area instead of San Francisco might work.
Yes, Frisco.

It is all zips unfortunately.
Old 02-10-2013, 6:00 PM

I'm in Oakland and have had more than one online retailer refuse to ship to me, based on zip code. Easy to work around, though.