Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 01-27-2013, 4:23 PM

Default Good Affordable Hiking Boots

So let's get this out of the way first. I'm cheap. With almost all things I buy I want to maximize my dollars, meaning when I buy something I want maximum value for my dollar.

I'm looking for the Mora knife of hiking boots so to speak. So what's out there that is cheap in price but high in quality and craftsmanship? If those don't exist, then what are some hiking boots that are higher in price but will last for years and years?
Old 01-27-2013, 4:25 PM
In Memoriam

I have some cheap Colemans that amaze me.
Old 01-28-2013, 9:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
I have some cheap Colemans that amaze me.
This.

They were around $15 on sale at KMart.

Get good wool socks though.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-27-2013, 6:30 PM

What's cheap? $100? $50?!?
Old 01-27-2013, 7:53 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Depending on your definition of cheap, the breakroom has Danner's on sale for good prices. I never owned a pair before but took advantage of the sale and am very happy with their quality.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché
Old 01-27-2013, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
Depending on your definition of cheap, the breakroom has Danner's on sale for good prices. I never owned a pair before but took advantage of the sale and am very happy with their quality.
This^^ I bought some last year, they are great, bought a few more but havent had to wear them yet as first pair is holding up great. I think they were 70 bucks.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
^^ THIS. I got my combat hikers for $50+ 25 for shipping.

FOR SALE-> STEEL PEPPER POPPER TARGETS

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-27-2013, 8:49 PM

I expect my La sportiva's to last about 10 to 12 years or more but they are pricey.

Check out REI outlet and you can you should be able to find a quality boot for a discounted price. Hint if you get it shipped to a local store you can get free shipping and if you are a member you get a lifetime guarantee even when you buy on sale.

HiTec has cheap boots that are not to bad certainly not a high quality boot but they can be found pretty cheap and will do the job for a couple years.

Quality boots will normally give you more comfort and performance and will last longer than a cheaper boot will and in the long run they should outlast a cheaper pair of boots 2 to one.
Old 01-27-2013, 9:12 PM
Banned

Danners are BOSS, Merrells are great!
Old 01-27-2013, 9:16 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Cheapest Crocs!

Not cheap but serious abuse taker 5.11 Mid Trainers
Waterproof, Breathable, Super Comfy...my daily wear
Old 01-27-2013, 9:17 PM

With hiking boots, the thing that matters most is that they fit properly. Even the highest quality boots will be worthless to you if they don't fit well. I suggest you go to an outdoors store, like REI, find a pair that fits you well, and then wait until you can find them on sale.
Old 01-27-2013, 9:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB View Post
With hiking boots, the thing that matters most is that they fit properly. Even the highest quality boots will be worthless to you if they don't fit well. I suggest you go to an outdoors store, like REI, find a pair that fits you well, and then wait until you can find them on sale.
If you do the Ranch Cucamonga REI you might as well stop by Bass Pro Shops.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

I wouldnt buy danners for HIKING boots. If you are looking for HIKING boots, there are many good inexpensive brands out there. I like Hitek and Merrel. They last for years.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:11 PM

I am a fan of Danner as well.I have used them for about 18 years.The soles on a new pair last one season and the upper are usually hammered in 2 seasons.That goes even for the elk hunters.The Montanas are great,but have been the same.These are taller hunting boots.
The most reasonable hiking boots that have lasted well and relatively cheap have been the Hitecs at Big 5 with the steel shank.They are about $90,but go on sale in the $50-$60 range.You may have to read all the boxes to find the steel shank models.The clerks in our local store do not even know about them.The pair I have in front of me say Ultimate WP inside.I wouldn't mind buying Danners hiking boots,but for the price of these.Well.
Old 01-28-2013, 7:26 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

There is a whole Made in USA Boot Thread here on Calguns somewhere
Old 01-28-2013, 8:13 AM

Cheapest trail runners... just hike barefoot ala Cody Lundin from Dual Survival

cody-lundin-dual-survival.jpg
Old 01-28-2013, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel80 View Post
Cheapest trail runners... just hike barefoot ala Cody Lundin from Dual Survival

Attachment 198290
LOL that guy's a moron for not wearing shoes. Half the episodes he ends up making them anyway.

Thanks for all the good info so far. Is there a type of Danner's you suggest? The Danner Men's Radical 452 GTX look good if I can find a good sale.

We have no REI in Bako, so Dick's is probably my best bet to be able to try them on. Whatever I buy will probably be online since typically the best prices are there.

Also I'm curious does Big 5 sell hiking boots that are exclusive to Big 5 only? I was trying to look up several different styles online that are on sale this week, but I can't find any info on any of them, not even on the manufacturer's websites. Hi-Tec Ultimate, Hi-Tec Teton Mid Men's, Outland Quest, Bearpaw Wildwood, and Wenger Jackson are what I was looking up on Amazon and Google and got nothing.

And last, I am willing to pay over $100 if they will last me many many many years, but few shoes do when worn a lot. That's why I mentioned Mora knives. In case you aren't familiar with them, they are excellent knives that last forever that cost < $15. I'm sure there is a shoe company out there that makes great hiking boots at low prices, I just haven't been able to find them yet and was hoping more experienced hikers could help me out.
Old 01-28-2013, 9:26 AM

The best deal I've ever seen in boots is the AMERICAN MADE Danners when they're on special.

There are boots made of real leather with sewn on Vibram soles, and then there are tennis shoes styled to look like boots.

Your use will dictate what you want to buy.

Me, I insist on value, but cost is total cost of ownership. I'm a serious hiker and backpacker. The last pair of boots I bought were White's customs for $500. They'll easily last longer in my use than 3 pairs of $150-200 Chinese made boots with glued on soles, flashy patchquilt uppers and GoreTex liners to try and help with the water leaking in all those seams. (Danner GTX, for example) They'll fit and work better in the meantime, and they're rebuildable. That makes them cheaper to me.

Last edited by luvtolean; 01-28-2013 at 9:38 AM..
Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 AM
CGSSA Leader

$40. Made in USA. Done deal.
http://www.lapolicegear.com/co-bates...-usmc-rat.html
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

Get your Carry License!!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgm118icbm View Post
I will 2nd this recommendation. Excellent vibram sole with good ventilation, so your socks don't get all sweaty. Probably not great for winter/snow, more of a 3-season boot, but for everything else this boot is awesome, with good traction in wet or dry dirt, and on rock also. I keep meaning to get a 2nd pair, in case they ever discontinue them. I wear mine a lot. Very comfy. Wife says I look like a dork in them, but I don't care.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Awesome, been looking for a deal on an around the house/yard/shop boot for summer. My Danner Patrols are too hot.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
I will 2nd this recommendation. Excellent vibram sole with good ventilation, so your socks don't get all sweaty. Probably not great for winter/snow, more of a 3-season boot, but for everything else this boot is awesome, with good traction in wet or dry dirt, and on rock also. I keep meaning to get a 2nd pair, in case they ever discontinue them. I wear mine a lot. Very comfy. Wife says I look like a dork in them, but I don't care.
Heh, was never a Marine so I wish that wasn't on there, but killer deal so done....

Last edited by luvtolean; 01-28-2013 at 1:09 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Hmm been reading through the reviews there, and overall the ratings are good, but there are enough reviews that talk about bad craftsmanship I'm worried. Like this one:

Quote:
I am experiencing problems like others have had:
1.) Tongue is so high and tight that I can not actually insert my foot into the boot without modification
2.)Inner bootie liner becomes unattached from the sole and tangles up foot when trying to remove
3.)Fabric along the eyelets has pulled out from under the top layer of material

Biggest problem is the tight tongue. I had to cut a 2 inch slit thru the tongue so that it will spread apart enough to let my foot in the boot. Even with this, it's still an ordeal struggling to put the darn boots on. I'll have to cut it wider. A rear bootstrap is needed. Speedlaces: Ha! They work fine, but you'll be spending 10 mins per boot putting them on because of the tongue..

2nd big problem, and the deal breaker, is the loose bootie inner liner. Pulling your foot out causes the liner to get snagged (prolapsed) with your foot and jams so tightly that you'll have to stick something like a wooden ruler to stuff it back in while removing the foot. It aint easy. It takes 10 mins to put each boot on and another 15 mins struggling to take one off. Since they can't be returned, I'll struggle with this routine for now, but soon, very soon, I'll be tired of this self torture and just throw the darn boots in the trash. These are the "a" "first run" boots btw.
Old 01-28-2013, 3:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yehosha View Post
OK now I see why some people are having issues, and I'm not so sure if I want to gamble $54 on them. This is from the Q&A section on that page:
Quote:
Hmm been reading through the reviews there, and overall the ratings are good, but there are enough reviews that talk about bad craftsmanship I'm worried. Like this one:
4.something stars average out of 5 stars total with 300+ reviews submitted so far. That's a lot of data.

Mine are perfect, no defects. Gonna buy a 2nd pair tonight when I get home.
Old 01-28-2013, 5:59 PM

Quote:
4.something stars average out of 5 stars total with 300+ reviews submitted so far. That's a lot of data.

Mine are perfect, no defects. Gonna buy a 2nd pair tonight when I get home.
Their overall rating is great, it's the people that get stuck with the defects and give them 1 star that messes it up, and understandably so. From this quote, "However we also have a few of the defect 29502D boots. By ordering you acknowledge that you may receive either version.", it sounds like you get no refund if you get a defective pair.

Many reviews spoke of them being very hard to put on. Is that true or is that operator error? Also how do the sizes run for you? Some reviews said they run small, others say they run big, so it's hard to figure out what size to get.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Those look too good to be true. Are they factory defects or something? Do you own any? Does anyone else here have any first hand experience with the boots bought from that site?
Old 01-28-2013, 1:13 PM

This review of them made me literally lol

Quote:
These boots were the most comfortable and the eaisest boots I have ever had to break in. However shortly after wearing them they developed a noticible squeak in both of the soles. The Squeak became so bad it was the joke of the unit. I finally had to get rid of them. Some Afghani is now squeaking down the road. A message to Bates Customer Service was just blown off.

Too bad, they were a very comfortable and rugged boots.
Old 01-28-2013, 1:20 PM

OK now I see why some people are having issues, and I'm not so sure if I want to gamble $54 on them. This is from the Q&A section on that page:

Quote:
Are these the same batch of boots that were recalled by the USMC for falling apart out in the 'Stan?
We have two batches of these boots in stock. The 29502A boot was contracted to be made by Bates for the USMC, but once the boots made it to the field, the USMC realized that the boots needed a few subtle design tweaks. They are first quality boots. However we also have a few of the defect 29502D boots. By ordering you acknowledge that you may receive either version.
Old 01-28-2013, 4:02 PM

I bought a pair of these locally for $50. I like them (and the price):

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Corem.../dp/B0032FNZI4
Old 01-28-2013, 5:55 PM

LAPG has a sale on usmc bates.

Old 01-28-2013, 8:03 PM

Good thread OP.
Im frugal myself. I have a pair of itasca from Big 5 . I dont hike alot so I just added padded soles and im gtg. So far They are comfortable , and warm . I took them to the snow and I was good. Im currently looking for another pair from big 5. Im looking at these. Sunday's ad
http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.c...ailerid=-98565

Those bates from LAPG look good for the price might be worth the gamble. But I dont wear military gear (camo , boots, or things with military emblems) . Nothing wrong with them . But for me since im not military or ex-military, i feel like I havent earned the privelige to wear it, out of respect. I just wear normal civilian stuff. civilian camo like mossy oak etc. If they didnt have the usmc emblem i would have jumped on them. Im just weird I guess

Last edited by msand951; 01-28-2013 at 8:41 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 9:24 PM

Old 02-02-2013, 11:47 AM

Ended up getting the usmc rat boots from lapolicegear. I'll let you guys know how they work out. Also if you use coupon code lapg you get 5% off. It's not a lot, but hey it's something.
Old 03-08-2013, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Ended up getting the usmc rat boots from lapolicegear. I'll let you guys know how they work out. Also if you use coupon code lapg you get 5% off. It's not a lot, but hey it's something.
I bought them a few months ago. Very happy with them. Light for boots, easy to take on and off, don't make your feet hot, and very comfortable.
Old 02-06-2013, 5:22 PM

Just received mine, got the first quality "A" boots.
Old 02-06-2013, 8:03 PM

Love my Oboz hiking boots! They are pricey but well worth it!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

On the quality boots is the eagle globe and anchor stamped out?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:03 AM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain82 View Post
Yup all mine were.
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

Get your Carry License!!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain82 View Post
Yes, sort of. You can tell it is the globe and anchor still.

I'm glad they did it really...I don't want to act like I'm a Marine.
Old 02-07-2013, 3:52 PM

My boots were issued to me by the military. Still have and wear them all the time!
Old 02-07-2013, 5:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just wear my Georgia boots when I'm hiking/hunting. I guess they don't "look" like typical hiking boots but they definitely do the trick for me. I wear them 8+ hours a day 5-7 days per week and I get over 2 years out of them. Not bad for $130 (Can be had for like $100 on sale). They aren't "waterproof" but I have to literally stand in a bucket of water for my feet to get wet. I wear them in everything from heavy rain to knee deep snow, my feet do stay dry.

All depends on what your feet like though, I have ridiculously wide feet (My fiance has called me a Hobbit on more than one occasion) so I'm extremely picky on boots. I have found "my pair" and will never wear anything else. I really don't think I could mail-order a pair of boots without trying them on first.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood