Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-24-2013, 9:32 PM

Default Gotta buy another AR Lower now and mad

Kinda mad I have to buy another AR lower. I just picked up my fourth lower a couple of weeks ago. When I went to do my paperwork I told the guy I wanted to register it as a pistol. He told me that I couldn't do that in Ca. I just kinda f'd it off and did the long gun paperwork instead of arguing with him. I had already been waiting 6 months for Spikes to ship. This was going to be my last AR as I planned a long time ago to start building bolt guns. Don't let my screen name deceive you. I don't know much about building them yet. Anyhow, I think I am going to print this and bring it to him this weekend. please discuss if you have some insight on this. Thanks, m.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf
Old 01-24-2013, 9:43 PM

You can't DROS just the frame of any pistol in California. That's your problem. You can't do a safe handling demonstration and it doesn't have a defined caliber, and blah blah. You can do it as a long gun, but not a handgun. Same would apply if you tried to buy just a Glock frame or a 1911 frame or whatever. The only way to get around this is via PPT. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's an AR receiver. It's a handgun, and that makes DROS on a bare frame impossible.

Another reason I've enjoyed this move to WA. AR receivers are put on your 4473 as "other." They are neither handgun nor long gun. You are welcome to build it into either.

My YouTube Channel
Old 01-24-2013, 10:45 PM

If you want a pistol lower, PPT it or make it. Might be one for sale here (you still have 2 kidneys, yes?)
Lots of threads about building them, just save-up a few hundred for an 80% and read, read, read. Oh yeah, hurry up!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 PM

BTW, IIRC, registered pistols can be turned into rifles, but not the other way around. You may have unwittingly screwed yourself by registering it as a long arm receiver.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 PM

No FFL can sell a civilian a pistol marked lower that isn't on the roster.
No pistol marked lowers on the roster.
PPT or 80% or an illegal SBR, so only 2 options really...
Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Or buy a single shot exempt AR pistol already assembled.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Old 01-25-2013, 5:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Another idea if you have vertical relatives that live out of State. (Grandparents, parents, adult children)

Have them GIFT a complete AR Pistol to you and send it to your FFL with a GIFT letter. Gifts from out of State vertical relatives are EXEMPT from the handgun roster.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).