Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-17-2013, 5:57 AM
Banned

Default Failure to feed problems.

1 out of 10 rounds fail to feed. Went through 300 rounds of American eagle mixed with walmarts UMC FMJ.

Gun is fairly new approx. 600 rds total.
I'm thinking it maybe the magizines with stiff springs. Loading the 10th round is pretty hard compared to loading the first.

But then I think about those fortunate enough to use 17 rd mags.

No signs of limp wristing.

What else could it be?
(glock 17 3rd gen)
Old 01-17-2013, 7:09 AM

Is it all magazines or just one magazine that give you failure to feed? If the last round always fails to feed then it is most likely the follower.

If it is out of all magazines then out of how many? More than 4 then you might have a problem elsewhere than the magazine.

Could be that the gun is too dry, give it a good lubing as it should almost sound silent when working the action.

If you have big hands you could be riding the slide.

Have someone else shoot the gun, if no malfunctions occur then it could be limp wristing.
Old 01-17-2013, 7:18 AM
Banned

Both Federal Eagle and Remington UMC are good ammo. It's not the mag springs, it's not the gun, and it's nor that it may be dirty or dry because it ran 9 out of 10 rounds. Did it fail on the first or the last round? Do you load one and then insert a full 10 round mag? The 10 rounders are a PITA, you can use to loader to make it a little easier, or sand down the follower legs by about 1/16" and smooth the front. Without see your grip, the most common failure with new Glock shooters is thumbing the slide stop or limp wristing.

hold your gun like this

Last edited by HighLander51; 01-17-2013 at 7:30 AM..
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
Both Federal Eagle and Remington UMC are good ammo. It's not the mag springs, it's not the gun, and it's nor that it may be dirty or dry because it ran 9 out of 10 rounds. Did it fail on the first or the last round? Do you load one and then insert a full 10 round mag? The 10 rounders are a PITA, you can use to loader to make it a little easier, or sand down the follower legs by about 1/16" and smooth the front. Without see your grip, the most common failure with new Glock shooters is thumbing the slide stop or limp wristing.

hold your gun like this

Thats my grip but I use a weaver stance.
Old 01-17-2013, 7:18 AM
In Memoriam

What kind of FTF? Slide doesn't grab round, nosediving, what?

End of mag or beginning of mag?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Banned

I load 10, rack the slide, fire once. Next round won't feed. First shell ejects, next round half way out of mag, half way in the barrel. After I drop the mag and empty the gun turning upside down, the next 8 are flawless. And it's with 6 glock mags.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

Run 9 rounds in the mag and see if they all function the gun. Might be to much pressure pushing up on the 2nd round with 10 loaded.

Some Glock mags require some break in. Also leave your mags loaded for a while and it will weaken the springs a bit.

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 01-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFence View Post
Run 9 rounds in the mag and see if they all function the gun. Might be to much pressure pushing up on the 2nd round with 10 loaded.

Some Glock mags require some break in. Also leave your mags loaded for a while and it will weaken the springs a bit.
That's what I'm thinking. My mags are filled with HD ammo (8 per mag just in case)
Old 01-17-2013, 4:26 PM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
That's what I'm thinking. My mags are filled with HD ammo (8 per mag just in case)
I run 16 in the mags that hold 17 and 9 in the ones that hold 10. Easier to run reloads when the last round isn't in the mag. Same theory applies to AR mags. I run 28rnds in a 30 end GI mag since its sometimes hard to seat a full mag on a closed bolt.

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor