Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-12-2013, 6:56 PM

Default AR Comp vs gas length vs adjustable gas block vs heavy buffer

Considering building an extremely lite-shooting AR. I know, .223/5.56 doesn't kick much, but I'd thought I'd try to see how lite I can make the felt-recoil and how lite I can make the entire rifle.

Thinking of using a 14.5" pencil barrel with perm attached BattleComp. Mid-length gas with adjustable gas block. Of course lite weight, free float handguard. Considering lite-weight BCG (maybe Young MFG). And finally a heavier buffer.

What's the consensus on the above? The only stock rifle that's close is something from JP Rifle, but I don't think they have pencil profile barrels.

Thoughts?

Last edited by s2k1; 01-12-2013 at 7:27 PM..
Old 01-12-2013, 7:29 PM

Location: I live in the east bay of the republic of kalifornikazicommie-nia nation

http://www.03designgroup.com/technot...gth-gas-system

I just posted this in another thread....good read on the 3 gas length vs barrel options

You're better of with a $400 .308 unless you plan on taking out taliban from 2000 yards away haha
Old 01-12-2013, 9:50 PM
Veteran Member

why the heavy buffer?

Quote:
For the no-compromise competition rifle, the LMOS™ offers the most significant improvement in the felt impulse of the rifle as compared to any modification other than the addition of a compensator. The complete system consists of our low mass bolt carrier and lightweight buffer conversion kit. By reducing the reciprocating mass, the overall impulse as felt by the shooter is further reduced, and bolt velocity is increased without significantly affecting reliability. JP LMOS™ equipped rifles have virtually no reciprocating mass feel.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 PM

Not quite sure what you are asking but I've built something along the lines that you are describing.

Went with a Syrac adjustable gas block. Daniel Defense LW pencil barrel, Griffin Armament muzzle brake. Geisselle handguard. Spikes ST-T2 buffer.

She shoots as soft as a 22. Here are some pics...

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=676008
Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 PM

IMHO... a mid length 16 running a H2 buffer with a SF brake is a soft shooter wth barely any kick. I dislike the BC cause it push the barrel down and nothing had yet to come close to SF when it comes to control of barrel.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:39 PM

adjustable gas block is the best bet. but you don't need the heavy buffer.that's why you have a adjustable gas block.you can tune it down to the lowest kick and still have the gun cycle.

i did this with a 5.56 ar and its going on my 6.8 build as well.
most people dont do adjustable gas blocks due to lack of how to set it and don't like working on there own guns. just my opinion.
Old 01-13-2013, 2:04 AM

ya, getting an adjustable gas block and a lw bcg, you'd probably want the lightest buffer. I doesn't make any sense to get a lw bcg and a heavy buffer.

The lighter you can get your system, the faster you can get it to cycle, the faster you can get hits on target. The better you can tune your system, the easier it will be to control your muzzle, the more shots you can keep on target.

For the ultimate headache, well tinkerer's dream, get an adjustable gas block, with Effin A compensator and a reloading bench. Should keep you busy for a few years.

Assumption is the Mother of All ****Ups. Speaking of ****ups, where the Hell are all my packages
Old 01-13-2013, 2:24 AM

Skip the pencil barrel and go heavier. It's not reciprocating mass will help.
Go 18" with rifle length gas system
Old 01-13-2013, 4:22 AM

You can choose a barrel profile with JP rifles when you assemble a custom upper. I had it done for someone. The barrels all look heavy from the gas block forward, but under the handguard it is a ligher profile.
Old 01-13-2013, 6:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2k1 View Post
Considering building an extremely lite-shooting AR.

Thinking of using a 14.5" pencil barrel. Mid-length gas with adjustable gas block. Of course lite weight, free float handguard. Considering lite-weight BCG (maybe Young MFG). And finally a heavier buffer.

What's the consensus on the above?
I would start with a 20" A1 pencil barrel for it's rifle gas system.
Cut it to 17" and put an adjustable gas block on it.
Use a JP low mass operating system and tune it to the ammo.
Any good muzzle brake and carbon fiber freefloat tube will do.
There will be no super lightweight AR that shoots as soft as that setup...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 01-13-2013, 7:32 AM

Thanks for all of the responses, especially using the Effin A along with the adjustable gas block. I don't think I want to drive myself that crazy.

I've decided on using a 14.5" barrel for easier mobility, with lite BCG (whenever I can find one from Young MFG).

Still deciding on the free float, but leaning towards the Apex Rifle Length. I like the idea of using a standard barrel nut.
Or more likely the Troy 11" Alpha Battle Rail (not the VTAC version)

I now understand not using a heavy buffer with low mas systems - thanks.

AR15BARRELS - I will be contacting you to pin my comp and barrel as soon as I'm able to order the parts.

Last edited by s2k1; 01-13-2013 at 9:01 AM..
Old 01-13-2013, 1:50 PM
Veteran Member

Recoil is also influenced by the mass of the rifle. A heavy rifle will be softer shooting than a light one. A low mass buffer along with your low mass carrier will also reduce felt recoil as it will decrease the amount of mass cycling back into your shoulder.

Last edited by chicoredneck; 01-13-2013 at 1:56 PM..