Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 01-06-2013, 8:25 PM

Default Shooting in So Cal forests?

Hello, I live in Los Angeles and currently go shooting at shooting ranges but I am trying to figure out if there is somewhere near I can go shooting out door on my own. Maybe in big bear/lake arrowhead forest areas, or out to the desert? I want to go to go out to a seculded area (with the propper shooting back terrain of course), set up my own targets, and do my own target practice. I have been searching online but its not too clear to me the laws on this. If anyone can fill me in on this I would be much obliged!

My ideal situation would be to go camp somewhere and be able to hike to a place I can shoot.

Joe
Old 01-06-2013, 8:40 PM

Most people are very tight-lipped about their shooting spots. There are lots of places in the desert where people go, but they don't want a lot of people knowing. Check with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) for places where you can go.
Old 01-06-2013, 8:43 PM

Contact big bear discovery center (forestry) 909 382 2790, shooting is in designated areas only, usually only in winter and spring due to fire restrictions in summer and fall

Last edited by bbcsnowman; 01-07-2013 at 1:14 PM..
Old 01-06-2013, 9:05 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

The short answer is really - no. No legal camping/shooting spots in anything you'd call "forest". A few spots in Big Bear way out in the bush and legends of a spot or two near Idlywilde, but in reality, they are closed most of the year (or at least most of the time you'd actually want to be up there) b/c of fire danger.
Old 01-06-2013, 9:11 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I have no problem exploring/finding my own spot. I'm just unsure where I can actually do this legally. I also want to know if there is anywhere you can posses firearms while camping. Or camp and hike to one of these places
Old 01-07-2013, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyquirk25 View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I have no problem exploring/finding my own spot. I'm just unsure where I can actually do this legally. I also want to know if there is anywhere you can posses firearms while camping. Or camp and hike to one of these places
Have you seen this thread (desert location)? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=256910

Here is the relevant post (607) for the upcoming shoot /camping week-end, with location:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=607
I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice
Old 01-07-2013, 6:04 AM

BLM land out at calico. You can shoot and camp there. Its pretty cold there right now but shooting is year round. Have fun and clean up your mess when your done
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM

Just call the forest service or BLM and ask them...