Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-22-2012, 5:38 PM

Default Monitor entering power save mode

I'm having a problem with my monitor entering the power save mode while I am still working; I stop for a second and it enters power save mode. It's really frustrating! Of course, it's not consistent; some times it enters power save mode and other times it doesn't.

The computer is a three year old Dell Studio running Windows 7 and the monitor is a Dell ST2010. I have the monitor hooked up using the HDMI connection. When I first got the computer, I couldn't figure out how to get the monitor to work with VGA so I just used the HDMI connection.

I have checked the windows power saving feature and it is set to reasonable idle times. I tried to swap monitors from a different computer but wasn't succesful. My other monitor is VGA only and I couldn't get it to work at all with the original computer (as previously noted, I couldn't get the original monitor to work with VGA). I tried to hook the questionable monitor to my other computer using the HDMI connection but I couldn't get it to work. I tried rebooting the computer with the questionable monitor connected via HDMI hoping that it would auto detect the digital signal but it didn't work.

I am not sure if I have a software problem, a problem with my monitor, or possible with my graphics card. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 12-24-2012, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member

You're gonna have to borrow another HDMI monitor or computer for diagnosis.

The most likely culprits are:

HDMI cable failing. Common with cheaper HDMI cables as the contacts corrode over time.

Monitor going bad. Was common when there was a spate of faulty Chinese knock-off capacitors installed in tons of computer equipment by nearly all manufacturers. I have seen many monitors fail slowly recently as these capacitors are finally blowing up.

I've only rarely seen a video card in a computer go bad. They do, but not as often as the two above.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:06 PM

I replaced the HDMI cable since I had one on hand but, unfortunately, that didn't make a difference. How come I can't get my VGA monitor to work on the computer that I've been using HDMI on? Is there a setting I need to change?
Old 12-25-2012, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member

Okay, so you ruled out the HDMI cable (but not the HDMI monitor).

There are three alternate reasons why your VGA output may not work on the computer (assuming it's got a VGA port to attach to).

1) The VGA port is on the built-in, integrated video included on the motherboard and is being overridden by an added-on "daughter" video card that has HDMI on it.

2) If both the VGA port and HDMI are supplied by the same card, either the motherboard or a daughtercard, then a BIOS or firmware setting is disabling the VGA in favor of the HDMI

3) Your VGA port or the VGA cable you are using is broken (very unlikely).

#1 above is the most likely. Ironically, you can often fix #1 by changing a BIOS setting, as in #2. But if you do have an add-on video card, it is often easiest and most conclusive to simply pull it out of the system so that the motherboard's VGA port is absolutely the only video-out device on the system.
Old 01-07-2013, 3:49 PM

Ended up replacing the monitor. This seems to have fixed the problem although it was an intermittent problem so time will tell.
Old 01-09-2013, 4:45 PM

Spoke too soon as the problem still exists. Might be time for a new computer...