Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Default Suggestion needed: Building my first 3-gun upper~~

——BCM Upper? Barrel Nut and .750 gas block

——Troy/Vtac 13" alpha rail

——18" SS Barrel rilfle length gas port
Nordic Components .223 Wylde Chamber 18" Competition Barrel ??
Criterion barrels 18" 1:8 Stainless Steel Chrome Lined barrel

From their website:
Chrome-lining will extend the life of your barrel and make it easier to clean. It is commonly thought that chrome-lining degrades the accuracy of the barrel. This is because during the chrome-lining process, material is chemically removed from the bore and then built back up with chrome, destroying the bore uniformity. At Criterion Barrels, Inc., our unique chrome-lining process maintains bore uniformity, providing you with the advantages of a chrome-lined barrel without sacrificing accuracy.

——Please also recommend a BCG

Last edited by P220; 12-02-2012 at 10:44 PM..
Old 12-02-2012, 10:47 PM

Those are nice barrels for sure and I think for a dedicated 3-gun upper, the stainless makes the most sense. The only thing I'd mention about the barrel is that I prefer a lighter contour than 38 oz. like the 32 oz lightweight Noveske. But it's up to you if the added cost is worth it.
If you want to go the whole Low Mass route, you're going to want the adjustable gas block, Low mass bolt and buffer. All JP makes the most sense although I mixed and matched.
Hope that helps.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Calguns Addict

For a race gun just go JP LMOS with a 18" JP barrel with an adjustable gas block.

What matches do you plan on shooting? Even in Socal the longest shot is 300 yards, IIRC. Most up here matches are up close and personal, so a 14.5" would even work.

Both of your choices are go barrels.

"SS, you beat me to the Post button. I was thinking for too long."
Old 12-03-2012, 12:11 PM

Dude, we regularly shoot to 400 yards and soon-to-be longer. I have no idea how the irons guys are going to do that!
Old 12-03-2012, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

Check out brownells. They sell the medium weight JP barrel with adj. gas block, bolt, and brake. The price really is not too much more than going the route you are thinking (I just recently priced out the same thing). If you check brownells on a 10% off deal you can save quite a bit. What you are planning is a solid build (I almost went that same route) but you can get into something even nicer for a little bit more.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:00 AM

A good brake is a must for quick follow up shots. I have a PRI MSTN QC brake that is great.
"The only right more important than gun rights to cgn members is the right to be a drama queen..." jimx