Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 11-14-2012, 9:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Need help to choose a spotting scope

I don't have any experience with spotting scopes. I have noticed that as I get older I can't see the bullet holes in the targets very well. I need something that will allow me to see well at 100 or 200 yards. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for one but I don't want to cheap out either.

What should I be looking for in lens size?
What power do you find best for seeing the bullet holes in targets?
Is the angled vs straight design just a matter of choice or is one better than another?
Is it better to buy a tripod separately? If so are the table top ones better or worse than the taller stands?
Where is a good place to go to actually look through the lenses of a few spotting scopes?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't know where to begin. I have looked at few models online and read the reviews but I haven't found anything that really helps me to know it is going to work for my needs.
Old 11-15-2012, 1:55 PM

research all you can on line --when you think you found the one you like - try to get to a store that has it in stock, take a target with you with holes punched in it and walk off 200 yards. view it now-- if you can see the holes easily, then it's a decent scope and should work ok at the range.

i went thru 3 scopes thinking that they were good until i learned -- you gotta see the holes at 200 yards.--before you buy it. i found 40- 60 x worked best for me.

angled vs straight is mostly a matter of choice and comfort.

the stands are just a personal preference also - they all run about the same .
Old 11-15-2012, 2:55 PM
Calguns Addict

You're on the correct track. I would recommend finding a bird shop or astronomy store who carries spotting scopes and try a bunch out. Glass through as many as you can OUTDOORS, and then compare prices which models you enjoyed viewing through. You can find pretty good ones for around $500, but I think the really good ones start at $800 and up. The Nikon Fieldscopes and Pentax PF80s were really fantastic for the price.

To start out, the Konuspot80 is really a good value. It can spot holes at 200 if shooting at a shoot n see target. If mirage is not present you may be able to see holes in the white at 200, but it'll be difficult.

Where are you located? I know of a few shops in the OC area where are great for viewing through a variety of brands.

Regarding tripod, buy separately and get a good sturdy one. Slik, Manfrotoo/Bogen are probably the ones I'd recommend. A great scope is useless if your tripod shakes.

P.S. careful if you get the urge to look through the alpha level glass. The Zeiss Diascope, Kowa Prominar, Swarovzski STS, and Leica Televid will make everything else look dull in comparison.

A good spotting scope is a really useful tool to have. I always believe that your rifle scope should not out resolve your spotting scope.

Good luck.
Old 11-21-2012, 8:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
Where are you located? I know of a few shops in the OC area where are great for viewing through a variety of brands.
I am in Whittier, close to the OC. Can you let me know some stores you like? I am thinking I might have some time this weekend to check them out.
Old 11-21-2012, 8:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfield47 View Post
I am in Whittier, close to the OC. Can you let me know some stores you like? I am thinking I might have some time this weekend to check them out.
There are two stores I like.

Scope City in Costa Mesa next to South Coast Plaza
Optics4Birding in Lake Forest

Both have a good selection of optics and will let you take them outside to view.
Old 11-15-2012, 3:13 PM
Banned

I got a konuspot 100. It has a good field of view and is clear for the money. It is huge and heavy so you need a good tripod for it.

If you get the photo adapter you can attach a camera to it and get some cool shots also.

Flag at 20x at 873 yards away.

Same flag at 60x
Old 11-15-2012, 6:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the tips guys. I live in Whittier, so I am about an hour away from anywhere. I would love to know some stores to check things out in person.

Is a camera store a decent place to look? I know they have quality optics for cameras but not sure if that directly translates to spotting scopes.

I looked online at the Konuspot80 and it looks like a nice scope, I didn't find the 100 yet. I found a Celestron 90mm that had 5 star reviews. People said it was a good spotting scope but that it worked just as good for sky watching. Are all scopes good for this too? If so that is a plus for my wife because she has been wanting to get a telescope.
Old 11-15-2012, 7:06 PM
Banned

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/242...-armored-green
Old 11-15-2012, 7:17 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Checked out a bunch of reviews and ended up buying my Konus here:

http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché
Old 11-15-2012, 8:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the links guys!
Old 11-15-2012, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfield47 View Post

What should I be looking for in lens size? Quality glass = $$$ but larger lens can help "cheat" by being a bit brighter
What power do you find best for seeing the bullet holes in targets? I usually use 20x for 100-200yds but if you have good glass, higher power such as 40x or 60x can still be clear and bright
Is the angled vs straight design just a matter of choice or is one better than another? My new spotter has an angled eye piece and I love it. Just angle it towards your face so that I can shoot and just look over to look through it
Is it better to buy a tripod separately? If so are the table top ones better or worse than the taller stands? I've never heard of spotters that came with good tripods. Manfrotto makes good tripods. Even their table top one is pretty sturdy.
Where is a good place to go to actually look through the lenses of a few spotting scopes? This I can't answer. I've tried looking through spotters in stores but too many variables to compare them accurately.
Here's what I use. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._3_1_80mm.html
The micro adjust feature is awesome. And this spotter is actually usable at 60x. And you can rotate the body so that the eye piece is just a turn of the head away. Big and heavy but worth it for it's vivid, bright images. Comes with a nice semi-hard case too.

Here's the tripod that I use. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...op_Tripod.html
Pretty sturdy. Even with my huge spotter.
Old 11-21-2012, 8:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserM4 View Post
Here's what I use. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._3_1_80mm.html
The micro adjust feature is awesome. And this spotter is actually usable at 60x. And you can rotate the body so that the eye piece is just a turn of the head away. Big and heavy but worth it for it's vivid, bright images. Comes with a nice semi-hard case too.

Here's the tripod that I use. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...op_Tripod.html
Pretty sturdy. Even with my huge spotter.
So this says it is ED glass with an HD coating. Is that the same as HD glass?
Old 11-21-2012, 8:15 PM

Optics planet dot com -- code "CalGuns" for 10% discount. Konus 20-60x80 or 100 are good for around $200.

Walnut media for bright brass
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=621214
Old 11-22-2012, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

Kowa 82mm angled head with a 25X long eye relief eyepiece is the standard amount 1K/yd High Power shooters.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/kowa-82m...-tsn-82sv.html
Old 12-05-2012, 9:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Hey guys thanks for all the help. I ended up getting the Leupold 15-45x60 SX-1 Ventana Spotting Scope Kit. It came with a hard carry case, a soft neoprene case, and tripod. The glass is really clear and my wife fell in love with the clarity once she looked through it. She was adamant that this was the scope to buy. I tested it out around the neighborhood and I can see the screws holding the high voltage signs on the telephone poles that are about 150 yards away. Can't wait to take it to the range so I can see my bullet holes while I'm shooting instead of waiting for a line break and walking out to the target.