Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 11-11-2012, 6:17 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default What to look for at a gun show?

I want to find a nice bolt action rimfire rifle at one of these gun shows. What I saw at CalExpo today in Sacramento was questionable. Maybe it was because it was Sunday afternoon...

What are the dos and donts of picking up a good rimfire target rifle at a gun show? This will never see a scope and will be used for target shooting up to 100 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
The overall condition of the firearm can tell you alot about how it has been taken care of. Check the muzzle crown for any dings or burrs, if present pass on that one. Rifling and overall condition of the bore. Is the bolt tight in the action. Dry fire if possible to check for trigger creep and weight of pull. Does it have a magazine, some older ones can be hard to find and/or expensive. Lastly when buying a used firearm its always a roll of the dice.

If its solely for iron sight target shooting then I would look for something with aperture sights (peeps). Much more accurate that standard buckhorn type sights.

If you have the budget for it and they still have them you would be much better off getting one of the Kimber 82G rifles from CMP.org. Made as a 3 position target rifle, single shot, complete with excellent aperture sights. Shipped to your door for $450. No better value out there for a heavy barrel target rifle. Built like a tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSlacker View Post
Look the outside over well if it has not rusted or been beat it is worth looking closer. I look for brand names I recognize. You will know the things that you want like heavy barrel or target sights and stocks.
Take a light and look into the bolt face, note the position of the firing pin then look at the corresponding area of the breach face for firing pin impact from dry firing easy fix with a inexpensive chamber iron. Next take a look at the extractor system. Does it have one, are there any obvious missing/broken parts, this is common extractors are easy to replace and you might just do it anyway. Most have a ejector of some type can you see it and is it intact. Some Marlins have a ejector that is held in by the barrel/receiver. To change the ejector the barrel needs to be removed on some the ejector is riveted from the inside of the receiver with a special tool, so this is the type of part that is a deal breaker. So look for the ejector. Take a dummy round and check the action/magazine tube. Some tubes are two piece and the inside may have a dent or obstruction and the outside look fine mag tubes can be a deal breaker. Be careful about missing mags or damaged tubes so using a dummy round in a tube fed will tell if it is usable and the lifting parts are working and will it strip and present the round from the mag.
I don't pay much attention to dirt. If the owner will let you, use a dummy round and dry fire. Does the safety work!

Last edited by Lazyme; 11-15-2012 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Good information
Old 11-11-2012, 6:40 PM

Unless you know exactly what you want and what a fair price is, i'd find a good LGS.
Old 11-12-2012, 5:40 AM

I have never bought a used bolt action rifle, what should I look for as far as functionality. There are parts I know I can replace but what are the small problems that aren't worth fixing?

Dos and donts, not what rifle should I get and how much should I pay, I've seen those threads and kinda have an idea what I'm looking for. I guess the same questions could be asked when buying a used rifle from a LGS.
Old 11-12-2012, 6:17 AM
Calguns Addict

beef jerky, most of the time you can get surplus ammo for the same price online, minus the shipping. you can also handle or try on little things like pictanny rail on your rifle and stuff.

now to answer your question...
research your rimfire rifles and when you have found one you like, or narrowed it down to within five, then go to the gunshow and shop around for prices.
it's a piss poor excuse to quit.
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
"I came into this world with someone else's blood on me and I don't mind leaving the same way..."

Old 11-12-2012, 6:23 AM
"Dickish" Juggernaut
CGN Contributor

Tactical can openers
Old 11-12-2012, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyme View Post
What to look for at a gun show?
The exit. (Just got back from a Co. Springs gun show, and boy am I bitter. I am convinced that unless otherwise specified all gun shows suck now.)

A Remington model 37 rangemaster might be close to what you have in mind.

I could be happy with a CZ or a Savage. Depends on how you will be shooting it I suppose.

-Eric
Old 11-12-2012, 7:46 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyme View Post
I want to find a nice bolt action rimfire rifle at one of these gun shows. What I saw at CalExpo today in Sacramento was questionable. Maybe it was because it was Sunday afternoon...

What are the dos and donts of picking up a good rimfire target rifle at a gun show? This will never see a scope and will be used for target shooting up to 100 yards.
The overall condition of the firearm can tell you alot about how it has been taken care of. Check the muzzle crown for any dings or burrs, if present pass on that one. Rifling and overall condition of the bore. Is the bolt tight in the action. Dry fire if possible to check for trigger creep and weight of pull. Does it have a magazine, some older ones can be hard to find and/or expensive. Lastly when buying a used firearm its always a roll of the dice.

If its solely for iron sight target shooting then I would look for something with aperture sights (peeps). Much more accurate that standard buckhorn type sights.

If you have the budget for it and they still have them you would be much better off getting one of the Kimber 82G rifles from CMP.org. Made as a 3 position target rifle, single shot, complete with excellent aperture sights. Shipped to your door for $450. No better value out there for a heavy barrel target rifle. Built like a tank.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 AM

Thanks Izzy,

Exactly what I was looking for.

I've been trying to get my paperwork in order for the CMP because the Kimber 82g sparked my interest but it looks like I need to follow up with the club I joined. They said the paperwork would be here in 2-3 weeks. I also should have an instructors sight off coming in the mail but I have not seen that yet either...

A few of my FFls I use are going to be at the Reno show next weekend so hopefully getting something out of state isn't too hard if I find something there. 1.5 acres of stuff...there has to be something descent.

BTW...$500 is about my limit...for the rifle, not beef jerky.

Last edited by Lazyme; 11-12-2012 at 10:45 AM..
Old 11-12-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
what should I look for as far as functionality. There are parts I know I can replace but what are the small problems that aren't worth fixing?
Look the outside over well if it has not rusted or been beat it is worth looking closer. I look for brand names I recognize. You will know the things that you want like heavy barrel or target sights and stocks.
Take a light and look into the bolt face, note the position of the firing pin then look at the corresponding area of the breach face for firing pin impact from dry firing easy fix with a inexpensive chamber iron. Next take a look at the extractor system. Does it have one, are there any obvious missing/broken parts, this is common extractors are easy to replace and you might just do it anyway. Most have a ejector of some type can you see it and is it intact. Some Marlins have a ejector that is held in by the barrel/receiver. To change the ejector the barrel needs to be removed on some the ejector is riveted from the inside of the receiver with a special tool, so this is the type of part that is a deal breaker. So look for the ejector. Take a dummy round and check the action/magazine tube. Some tubes are two piece and the inside may have a dent or obstruction and the outside look fine mag tubes can be a deal breaker. Be careful about missing mags or damaged tubes so using a dummy round in a tube fed will tell if it is usable and the lifting parts are working and will it strip and present the round from the mag.
I don't pay much attention to dirt. If the owner will let you, use a dummy round and dry fire. Does the safety work!
Old 11-12-2012, 1:57 PM

Fantastic info!

Thank you!
Old 11-12-2012, 3:57 PM

BTW, if I were you, I would get on that CMP Kimber 82 as soon as you can. I put my order in a month or so ago and last week they gave me the "we're getting around to you" response. It will take a while when dealing with the CMP. You can't be anxious so you might as well get it in and then forget about it.

Good luck
Old 11-12-2012, 4:40 PM

I'm trying!!!!

Old 11-13-2012, 3:53 AM

My vote goes for the CMP KImber also,, a fine piece at a great price.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 AM

I saw a lot of Mossberg model 44s at the show. Some were the US military versions & some were not.

Tried getting one that was near perfection for $425 but after all the shipping & paperwork it didn't happen. The stock had one small ding in it, the peep sights worked and looked perfect, the finish on the metal was gorgeous, original magazine. Had to have been a safe queen.

Oh well, The search continues.

Last edited by Lazyme; 11-19-2012 at 10:45 AM..
Old 11-19-2012, 5:56 PM
Veteran Member

Gun shows are only good for: freak watching, ammo, and damn good beef jerky. The guns are usually overpriced.

Old 11-20-2012, 6:33 PM

And a CZ not a bad choice either. We like ours more than the Kimber.
Old 11-20-2012, 9:32 PM

I saw one CZ and is wasn't a 22. Where they all hiding?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 PM

Unless youre on the trail of beef jerky i dont see the point of going. Oh wait, i dont want to waste any more time hunting beef jerky, does anyone think i could find any at a gun show, even one pack?? Cmon dont make me go all the way there and come up empty handed....
Old 11-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
Unless youre on the trail of beef jerky i dont see the point of going. Oh wait, i dont want to waste any more time hunting beef jerky, does anyone think i could find any at a gun show, even one pack?? Cmon dont make me go all the way there and come up empty handed....
Mail order. http://www.smokedmeats.com

Old 11-26-2012, 1:54 PM
Calguns Addict

the exit

WTS: Gun stuff & things
Old 11-26-2012, 2:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post

the exit
Plated projectiles for about 1/2-2/3 the cost of retail projectiles...
Old 11-26-2012, 3:16 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post

the exit
Yeah, that's it. I have been disappointed at every show I have gone to. Of course I am only a rimfire shooter so never much there in that regard.
Old 11-26-2012, 3:02 PM

Well... I'll tell you what not to look for. Don't bother looking for anything for a 10/22. You're more likely to find bigfoot. I've had it with Crossroads, all they have is AK/AR stuff.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:33 PM

I have had a pretty good time at the last few gun shows I have been to. Gotta know what you are looking for and how much you want to pay. Or just go to see what you can learn about being around so many different variations of firearms.

It's like the Internet, you can spend hours looking a crap you ain't gunna buy and then you find that one thing you have been looking for. The only difference is you have to walk from table to table instead of typing exactly what you want into google.

Plus ammo prices have been pretty descent lately.