Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 11-01-2012, 1:32 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Default Help picking optics for AR15

Hey All,

I'm trying to pick an optic for a new upper I plan on getting. It's going to be a 18" upper for 5.56/.223, and initially, I wanted to go with a Leupold Mark 6 1-6, but now I'm having second thoughts. This rifle will be mainly used for target and light hunting of small to medium varmints. In terms of budget, I'd like to keep it under $2200. I have another rifle already with an ACOG TA11J-RMR on one rifle (16") and a EoTech EXPS 3.0 on another (14.5"), so I just wanted something a bit different for this one. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance everyone!

Jerry
Old 11-01-2012, 1:44 PM

Have you thought about a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10? I think you can find them for under $2k. Certainly a quality scope, and appropriate for an 18" upper IMO.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 11-01-2012, 2:00 PM

US Optics 1-4x or 1.5-6x. Or you can wait about another month or 2 for the new 1-8x
If you want to shoot further the 1.8-10x is pretty sweet too

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 11-01-2012, 2:09 PM
Veteran Member

Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm Mil/Mil Zero Stop
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 11-01-2012, 3:14 PM
Veteran Member

March 1-10x24:

http://marchscopes.com.au/tactical-1-10-x-24-scope.html

OR

IOR 1-10x26 Eliminator:

http://swfa.com/IOR-1-10x26-Eliminat...pe-P53853.aspx
Old 11-01-2012, 5:08 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Wow, great info so far. I'm reluctant to get a scope that will be too much for the rifle. Looks like I have some research to do!

Jerry
Old 11-01-2012, 9:37 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

any other recommendations? I'm not in any hurry, but I can't seem to find anything on the 1.8-10 coming out from USO. FMJBT, I've never heard of March, and I can't seem to find any US dealers, any other info about them?

Jerry
Old 11-02-2012, 7:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_eyedmonster View Post
any other recommendations? I'm not in any hurry, but I can't seem to find anything on the 1.8-10 coming out from USO. FMJBT, I've never heard of March, and I can't seem to find any US dealers, any other info about them?

Jerry
I can't seem to find any US dealers either. Somehow they are getting in though, I've seen several of these sell in the classified section at Snipers Hide. Between the March and the Ior, I think the Ior scope has a better reticle design if you intend on doing any distance shooting.

Bushnell is supposedly coming out with a 1-8.5X based on the new HDMR sometime in the near future as well. Might be worth waiting for that one, as Bushnell has been putting out some really good stuff lately.
Old 11-02-2012, 9:08 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I would also take a look at Kahles. They stoped by the shop a few months ago and i was highly impressed with their new options. Take a look at their K312:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/kahles-k...iflescope.html
For a little bit more $ i would also recommend the K16:
These scopes have S&B quality glass and excellent eye relief properties. Pretty much if you can get your eye in the vicinity of the ocular, you can sight through it. Great for quick target acquisition! The 12x on the high end of the K312 will help with smaller critters.

Chase B.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticsPlanet View Post
I would also take a look at Kahles. They stoped by the shop a few months ago and i was highly impressed with their new options. Take a look at their K312:
For a little bit more $ i would also recommend the K16:
These scopes have S&B quality glass and excellent eye relief properties. Pretty much if you can get your eye in the vicinity of the ocular, you can sight through it. Great for quick target acquisition! The 12x on the high end of the K312 will help with smaller critters.

Chase B.
Hello Chase,

I have been in love with Kahles ever since I looked through one. They are just out of my price range, and since my wife is also a shooter, it's become a double edged sword. She's into shooting, and loves to hear about new projects... surprising enough, she actually supports me spending money wisely on gun stuff. Unfortunately, she's set somewhat of a budget for the glass on this particular build, and is more than capable of looking up pricing on stuff now. If it were only a few hundred cheaper, I would be all over them.

Jerry
Old 11-02-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_eyedmonster View Post
I can't seem to find anything on the 1.8-10 coming out from USO.
The 1.8-10x USO is on the website and is different than the new 1-8x that will be out soon.

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 11-02-2012, 6:21 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Our 3x are great!
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...3X_p/pac3x.htm

If your not in a hurry check out
Our PA RE BDC 5.56 it's a 5x prism
with our revolutionary reticle.
Look under Primary Arms forum
We hope to have it before Christmas.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?p=9252150

Dimitri

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 11-02-2012 at 7:36 AM..
Old 11-02-2012, 1:41 PM

USO,or a S&B, or NF
Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop1211 View Post
USO,or a S&B, or NF
The usual suspects are all still in contention, but I'm trying to figure out which model and magnification range would work out best.

Jerry
Old 11-09-2012, 9:40 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Does anyone have any accurate (no pun intended) reviews or experience with any of these at distances? I'm just wondering what magnification ranges I should be looking at, and if anything would be considered "too much" scope for this type of rifle. If it makes a difference, this is going on a Knights Armament SR15 LPR 18" upper (when I actually get my hands on one). Since I'm waiting to actually get the upper, I might as well figure out the glass.

Some people have told me to get a higher magnification range, and just add a RDS like a T1 offset and not worry about lower magnification. On the flip side, I'm almost tempted to just get a lower to mid range optic such as 1.8-10 or 1-6, and ignore the RDS comepletely. This isn't going to any classes or competitions as of now, but I definately want to have fun with this thing.

Jerry
Old 11-11-2012, 9:01 PM

Swarovski Z6i 1-6x BRT Reticle. It has daylight bright DOT as well as enough magnification to get you out as far as you need with that 18".

All the top 3gunners are running them so they must be worth it!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

well, I got a 1-4 SWFA coming to test out, if I like it, I think I'll go with the 1-6 type, if not, I'll keep on looking. The Z6i seems to be all the rave, but I'm worried that I wont be able to see as far for critters.

Jerry