Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > Santa Margarita Gun Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Santa Margarita Gun Club Competitive Shooting Sports for Active and Retired Military, civilians and juniors

Old 12-10-2011, 10:44 AM

Default New Shooter thinking of Joining

Hey all,

I've never shot competitively before and I'm interested in getting started in the sport. I have been reading around for required gear and whatnot and I seem to have everything, almost. I don't have a shooting jacket or glove or mat. Are those required to shoot at SMGC matches or more just items that just help but are not necessarily required? I have an M1, empty chamber flag, sling, and am working on getting a spotting scope and ammo of course. I'm only 18 so money is a little tight but I might just make due with binoculars or something for the time being, but is that allowed? Thanks alot everyone!
Old 12-10-2011, 4:48 PM

January 28,29 is the next match dates. A shooting glove, mat and coat are not required. Make sure you know your zero at 200, 300 and 600 yds. A match is not a good place to try to do this. Go to a public range to get your zero. You may want to come out and watch a match.
Old 12-10-2011, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauf View Post
Hey all,

I've never shot competitively before and I'm interested in getting started in the sport. I have been reading around for required gear and whatnot and I seem to have everything, almost. I don't have a shooting jacket or glove or mat. Are those required to shoot at SMGC matches or more just items that just help but are not necessarily required? I have an M1, empty chamber flag, sling, and am working on getting a spotting scope and ammo of course. I'm only 18 so money is a little tight but I might just make due with binoculars or something for the time being, but is that allowed? Thanks a lot everyone!
Check out Creedmoor Sports and Champions Choice for starters, as far as equipment goes. At Santa Margarita we shoot from 200, 300, and 600 yards, your M1 can easily handle all those distances. At Santa Margarita you will have the best of both worlds, top tier shooters, and people willing to help. You will learn a lot!

I might suggest starting with a 100 yard reduced match, such as the one at Corona Sportsman, or a 200, 300, 600 match up at Burbank Rifle and revolver club. I run a 600 yard match at West End Gun Club if you want to try that.
Old 12-11-2011, 8:48 PM

Try starting out with the CMP matches that the Brea Gun Club holds at Lytle Creek. Here's their web site.

http://www.brearifleandpistolclub.org/
Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauf View Post
Hey all,

I've never shot competitively before and I'm interested in getting started in the sport. I have been reading around for required gear and whatnot and I seem to have everything, almost. I don't have a shooting jacket or glove or mat. Are those required to shoot at SMGC matches or more just items that just help but are not necessarily required? I have an M1, empty chamber flag, sling, and am working on getting a spotting scope and ammo of course. I'm only 18 so money is a little tight but I might just make due with binoculars or something for the time being, but is that allowed? Thanks alot everyone!
Feel free to come out to the matches. There will be plenty of folks ready to help you out. If you cannot get zeros, before you come out, feel free to use the different match stages to get that data.

We like to encourage new competitors. We are all continuously learning more about the sport.

Regarding equipment we do not mandate jackets or gloves or mats. Feel free to send me a PM if you have questions.