Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-28-2011, 5:23 PM

Default suggestions around Benning

hey guys I just finished up OSUT on sand hill and got stuck in airborne hold for awhile, finally at airborne school now.... was wondering if anyone here can give me some info or suggestions on stuff to do around here... my pov is back in cali so im takin cabs around. anyone know the ft. benning/columbus area that could recommend some decent places to eat/kick it that i should check out? thanks guys
Old 07-28-2011, 6:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam8d1 View Post
hey guys I just finished up OSUT on sand hill and got stuck in airborne hold for awhile, finally at airborne school now.... was wondering if anyone here can give me some info or suggestions on stuff to do around here... my pov is back in cali so im takin cabs around. anyone know the ft. benning/columbus area that could recommend some decent places to eat/kick it that i should check out? thanks guys
Stay away from Columbus, nothing but trouble.
Old 07-29-2011, 7:38 PM

Believe me when I say, "The cab ride to Peachtree Mall will be EXPENSIVE!". I did that back in the '80's and IIRC, my buddy and I both coughed up $20.00 each, each way! It was the last time we went off post at Benning.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:23 PM

PT for free. To be honest there's nothing out here in Columbus. There's a good taqueria off veterans in the back of a canceria off victory a decent pho restaurant off river rd. Burt's butcher shop off exit 7, after that you have your typical chain restraunts, olive garden, chedder's, nothing special.

Shooter's is a local gun shop off exit 7, they also have an indoor range.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:18 AM

all you can eat at little caesars for 7 dollars. its past the car wash. plus they have tv!
Old 07-31-2011, 11:55 AM

My advice. Dont get an STD.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

I believe on exit 10 theres a strip mall. There's a Cheddars, Chilis, Olive Garden, Dicks Sporting Goods, Old Navy, Shogun Japanese Steak House, Play N Trade, Buffalo Wild Wings, Best Buy, Barnes and Noble and some other shops that I can't remember

Last edited by ir0nclash86; 07-31-2011 at 12:34 PM..
Old 07-31-2011, 1:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I figures this out my last day before leaving jump school that renting a car is cheaper than getting a cab.
Remember you cant go over 50 miles away from jump school so keep that in mind. You probably wont get caught but still, dont risk jump school. Honestly just go out and have a little fun but dont try to make that your main goal trooper, you're there to jump out of a perfectly good airplane and thats going to be the best time of your life.
The strip clubs suck and any woman who is halfway decent has already heard every GI pick up lines. I do remember my favorite bar there though, its off of broad way I think it was. It was something loft maybe? I dont remember but you would walk in to the bar and have to go up the stairs into this loft. They usually had a live band and my friends and I would go there. Bartender was nice and cute and we would just chat up and score free drinks from her

Oh and be wear of the mall workers see your hair cut and instantly see "Sucker" and will swarm you with trying to buy computers or other electronics with credit.

Last edited by Maddog5150; 07-31-2011 at 1:11 PM..
Old 07-31-2011, 5:55 PM

haha yeah i tend to stay away from victory drive. ive spent the last few months here on sand hill during osut so ive heard most of the horror stories about that street and the localites there haha. we've hit up smokey bones several times, chilis yesterday, some chinese food place tonight. ha i dont drink so no problem there. im stoked for jump week i wish i could go straight to lobbin my butt out that door. but we have hit up exit 10 usually, go to some of the restaurants or movies. was thinkin today maybe ill just start stayin on post off duty save some money on cabs. but may have to check out rentin a car like maddog suggested. ill have to look into that a bit more, figure out where a can park that thing. thanks for the replies guys
Old 08-01-2011, 4:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'll tell you my horror story. So they introduce the sticks to the aircraft they are assigned to. They call out my stick along with others saying we got the "juliette model". Other sticks are like, "ooooh thats the new model. ahhhh." I'm like, "I dont care, I'm just jumping out of the damn thing." So they shuffle us out and I see this c-130 and my jaw drops and and almost **** my pants. On the side in massive letters, "CALIFORNIA AIR GUARD". Now as a nasty girl, I know what happens on two weeks. Well first day went off without a hitch, second day we were stuck in the hanger for three hours because the air guard pilots were so hung over. Third day, mine and three other sticks were last and its late as hell as its the night jump. Sgt Airborne gets on the PA and says, "Is anyone in here airfarce? No? Good or else I would smoke the **** out of you right now. Juliette just dropped a whole entire stick over the trees." As for my exit that night, I was dropped over the trees but thank god to horrible conditions I think, I made it inside the DZ.
Hope you dont get an airguard plane
Old 08-01-2011, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
I'll tell you my horror story. So they introduce the sticks to the aircraft they are assigned to. They call out my stick along with others saying we got the "juliette model". Other sticks are like, "ooooh thats the new model. ahhhh." I'm like, "I dont care, I'm just jumping out of the damn thing." So they shuffle us out and I see this c-130 and my jaw drops and and almost **** my pants. On the side in massive letters, "CALIFORNIA AIR GUARD". Now as a nasty girl, I know what happens on two weeks. Well first day went off without a hitch, second day we were stuck in the hanger for three hours because the air guard pilots were so hung over. Third day, mine and three other sticks were last and its late as hell as its the night jump. Sgt Airborne gets on the PA and says, "Is anyone in here airfarce? No? Good or else I would smoke the **** out of you right now. Juliette just dropped a whole entire stick over the trees." As for my exit that night, I was dropped over the trees but thank god to horrible conditions I think, I made it inside the DZ.
Hope you dont get an airguard plane
ha yeah that sounds about how things run here.. hasnt changed lol. i actually got held over at my basic training company after I graduated.. ya just the thing you wanna hear when you graduate infantry osut... hey congrats, you get to stay youre not going anywhere lol... got held over there and then got sent over to another airborne hold... stayed there for awhile. whack. they were down to 1 plane for all of airborne school... its suppose to be 110 tomorrow with heat index tomorrow. fricken hot out here. had three heat casualties before noon today
Old 08-08-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam8d1 View Post
ha yeah that sounds about how things run here.. hasnt changed lol. i actually got held over at my basic training company after I graduated.. ya just the thing you wanna hear when you graduate infantry osut... hey congrats, you get to stay youre not going anywhere lol... got held over there and then got sent over to another airborne hold... stayed there for awhile. whack. they were down to 1 plane for all of airborne school... its suppose to be 110 tomorrow with heat index tomorrow. fricken hot out here. had three heat casualties before noon today
lol. one of our planes caught on fire during mid flight.