Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-07-2006, 3:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation The Los Angeles County CCW Permit Challenge

To ALL Calguns.net members,

I want to challenge you today. The challenge is for us to make a major impact on Californian's ability to obtain a CHL (concealed handgun license). We can do this by replacing Los Angeles County Sheriff Baca. If that happens, we could almost double the number of CHL holders in the state.

Why are CHLs important? (1) To protect yourself, your loved ones and any other innocent victims when you are away from your home in normal times, or especially after a major disaster (Remember post-Katrina New Orleans? The Rodney King riots?). (2) In case you ever are a witness to a violent crime and the perp gets out on bail. (3) In case you are ever the victim of domestic abuse or a stalker.

Why sheriffs? Because sheriffs are usually the ones who determine whether a resident within their county can obtain a CHL. Also, unlike heads of police departments, sheriffs are directly elected by the residents within their jurisdiction.

Why LA County? Acc to http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/06037.html , there are roughly 10 million LA county residents and 28% are under 18. Let’s guess that 30% are under 21. That means there are about 7 million potential applicants. If only 2% apply, that's 140,000 applications. If only 1/4th are approved under the new sheriff, that means we’ll have 35,000 new CHL holders in California – almost doubling the total number. That gives a lot more people a vested interest in stopping restrictions upon our 2nd A rts. It will show that CHL holders in major urban centers are not a source of criminal activity, but rather, that murders, rapes, and aggravated assaults all go down when law-abiding citizens can carry ( http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=18 ). A side benefit is it will cause many residents in other urban counties to pressure their sheriffs and chiefs of police to follow LA’s example. Plus, it will be such a shockwave throughout California politics that Sacramento will be less arrogant in attacking our 2nd Amendment rights to keep and bear arms.

Who to support? According to the previous thread ( http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=29691 ), either Ken Masse ( www.kenmasse.com ) or Don Meredith ( http://meredithforsheriff.com/ ) would be better than Baca re CHLs. Most who have participated at CGN seem to think Masse is the better candidate. Unfortunately, we must factor in which one is more likely to beat Baca, not just which one is more CHL-friendly. Determining that will take some net searching, phone calling, and foot work by those in LA county (see Tasks below). They need to find out who is the stronger challenger to Baca and then let the rest of us know by next Wed morning.

How to support? We have 4,100 CGN members. If only 3,000 of us get 3 (or more) of our friends to join within one week, we'd have 13,100 members (remember to tell them joining CGN is FREE). If 10,000 of us then immediately send checks for $20 (or more), that will be an instant infusion of $200,000 to the pro-CHL candidate in the last 7 weeks of his campaign. I think $200,000 coming in out-of-the-blue might shake things up down there. If those 3 new CGN members in turn get 3 other people to join here, and more importantly, contribute to the campaign, that would be a $800,000 contribution! That sheriff will know who made his win possible and will know that if he does not lower the barriers to CHL issuance, 3 years from now we will organize again, this time to replace him.

I'm willing to risk $20 to try to dump Baca and I'm in the Bay Area. Mailing a check is a lot "cheaper" in time, money, and effort than printing up flyers and driving around to shooting ranges and gun stores to gather signatures. We, here at CGN forum, can have a major impact on that election if we choose. All it takes is the will to skip seeing two movies ($10 each), that you probably won’t remember 6 months later.

Timeline: EVERYBODY sends out this posting as part of an email invitation to at least 3 of their pro-2nd Amendment, pro-gun friends IMMEDIATELY. People in LA county contact each other and form organization this weekend (choose your leaders/officers and pro-2nd Amendment or pro-safety name for your org, but not one with a negative connotation, otherwise the candidate may decline your help lest he get bad PR). They carry out steps 1, 2, and 3 by next Tuesday evening. They carry out step 4 Wednesday early morning (before 7:00 am). Then EVERBODY -- hopefully including thousands of new CGN members -- goes to Calguns.net's "Gun rights, political, and legal" forum to see what candidate to support and IMMEDIATELY mails their $20 to that candidate and emails a ONE TIME ONLY reminder to the friends they invited to CGN to check for the chosen candidate’s name and address info. Next Wed and Thursday, step 5. So, the candidate should have a bunch of new volunteers starting in one week and get all the money within 2 weeks.

Feel free to post this on other gun/RKBA/political forums. People from out of state (friends, family, former or future CA residents, pro-2nd A people, etc.) can support this effort too.

The question is, how much do we want to win? Are we willing to spend a lousy $20 to win LA county? Are pro-CHL people in LA county willing to fight constantly for the next 8 weeks for change? If we sit on the sidelines and don’t play the game, how do we expect to win? If we don’t act now, we won’t have another chance to replace a major county’s anti-CHL sheriff with a pro-CHL one until 2010!

The only thing that is worse than having done nothing to turn this state around is to continue to do nothing. Let’s do this!

Tasks for those in LA county who want to head this up:

1. What does the local NRA Members Council/GOC people think of the different candidates? What do local deputies/police think of the different candidates?

2. How much money have the different candidates raised? How much did the last contested race cost each contestant? The best place to start would be the LA county clerk's office or registrar of voters.

3. Which challenger has the more professional and organized campaign? Which one has raised more money? Is there any polling data to indicate where the challengers stand (check with the LA Time local politics desk)? Is the other willing to quit and support his former opponent so as to not split the anti-Baca vote?

4. Leave a posting on CNG’s “Gun rights, political and legal” forum announcing the chosen challenger and his website so we know where to mail our checks.

5. LA county members work up their own email list among each other; determine the days and hours they can volunteer; contact the chosen candidate telling them how many volunteers you represent and ask them how you can help, what days & times (sons & daughters might be able to help as part of a class project); and then get at it. Determine who will promote this on other gun/RKBA/political forums and update us on your campaign and anyway those of us outside of LA can help.

We only have 8 weeks until the June elections for California’s sheriffs. Many people mail absentee ballots weeks earlier, further cutting down on our time. Before that, flyers, signs, radio spots must be made and distributed/sold & aired by the candidate’s campaign committee. Before that, staff must be hired, phones installed, etc. All this takes time and money, so you have to act immediately for this to work. There is no time to be passive, to wait for meetings, people to contact you, etc. The LA people must be active and aggressive in getting things done. Remember, this is our ONLY opportunity to impact the issuance of CHLs in Kali for the next four years until the next sheriffs elections in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Supporting CGF at the expense of supporting NRA is wildly stupid. . . .

Never, ever, ever choose not to be an NRA member.

-Gene
180+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives. Crime Avoidance & Self-Defense Advice

Last edited by Paladin; 04-08-2006 at 8:41 AM..
Old 04-08-2006, 1:17 AM
shopkeep

I'm not in LA myself but I do want to mention that this is a great idea! I think CCWs are definitely the next issue for us to tackle. Considering we just got over 30,000 legal recievers into the state anything seems possible !
Old 04-08-2006, 12:00 PM

I'm sending checks to both Masse and Meredith.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

A bit too late isn't it? Any way I just sent money via paypla to both MAsse and Meridith compains...
WTB: CZ452
Old 04-08-2006, 4:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblat
A bit too late isn't it?
No.

Unless there is some hot issue or controversial candidate, most voters don't even think about local races until a week or two before the election (June 6th). A couple of dozen P/T volunteers and $200,000 to $800,000 arriving six weeks before an election could tip this our way, paving the way for demonstrating right in Kalifornia the benefits of licensed CCWs in a major urban area. Just as the NRA has moved the nation toward Shall Issue state-by-state, this will help move Kalifornia toward Shall Issue county-by-county.

The main thing now is for CGN members in LA county to step forward and start implementing this plan. They're the ones best able to determine: (a)which contenders have the best political organization and financing, and (b) which of the contenders is less likely to discriminate in CHL issuance (i.e., more likely to be closer to "Shall Issue").

We don't want to support the challenger who has the best financing and political machine if they are a Baca-clone. There are better uses of our ever limited time, money and manpower to advance our agenda.

Similarly, we don't want to support someone who is our ideal candidate if they have no chance to win due to an inept political organization -- we don't have the time to turn their organization around.

The political calculus involved requires information about both factors and then figuring out the optimal (not ideal) single challenger to support. Finding someone to support who is on our side (even if not ideal), who has a good political organization, and who has a good chance of winning is better than letting Baca win again.

Quote:

-Gene
Old 04-08-2006, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblat
A bit too late isn't it? Any way I just sent money via paypla to both MAsse and Meridith compains...
No it is NOT too late. This is when they need the most funds. They are actively fundraising until the final week of the campaign. Remember, their goal is not to win the election, but to get into a run-off. They have a shot at doing that. That means LA, and its 10mil residents, have a shot at getting CCW in the next year.
Old 04-08-2006, 5:26 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know if anybody remembers or not, but I'bve sent CCW question to both Don and Ken.

Ken's answer was - if your life in danger you'll get it. Not too much pro CCW
Don's was - I am the same with Corona ( and that is almost shall issue )

Thay both are better than Baca, but it seems that from our point of view Don is better.

Unfortunatly, it seems that he is total unknown, while Masse has some name recognition and probably higher chance of beating Baca. By the way as late as 4 weeks ago Baca still hasn't declared that he will run for reelection. Did it change?
WTB: CZ452
Old 04-08-2006, 5:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Excellent idea! Probably easier said than done though. It's worth the effort anyway.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:25 AM

what does this do for us that lives in SF?!?!?!?

man i swear california is like 3 different countries
Old 05-02-2006, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh2soda

Have you heard of the expression of a thousand mile trip starts with one step?

My suggestion to you is don't give up, no matter how much you feel like our cause is being lost, and we are out-numbered, NEVER give up.
Old 05-02-2006, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTA
Have you heard of the expression of a thousand mile trip starts with one step?

My suggestion to you is don't give up, no matter how much you feel like our cause is being lost, and we are out-numbered, NEVER give up.
I think its: The journy of a thousand miles starts with a single step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post
HK is the best $500 gun you can get for $1,000
Old 05-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh2soda

Look at http://www.packing.org/state/califor...stateimage=118 Imagine if 50 out of 58 counties went "green" and 1-4% of the people in those counties received CWPs. That would be a huge voting block w/a vested interest in any Shall Issue legislation in Sacto. They would be able to pressure their legislators to change the law to Shall Issue w/o much controversy since their counties were already, in practice, Shall Issue. The MSM would have a hard time explaining why urban dwellers in the Bay Area should not be trusted w/CWPs when the rest of the state can be.

Just as Shall Issue has advanced across the nation state-by-state over the past 20 yrs, so we now, within California, should fight to advance CWP issuance county/city-by-county/city. Be sure to ck out www.CaliforniaCCW.org too.

Quote:

-Gene

Last edited by Paladin; 05-06-2006 at 5:53 AM..
Old 05-27-2006, 7:17 PM

Default The truth about Meredith for Sheriff and CCW

Somebody is putting bad information out about Don Meredith candidate for LA Sheriff and CCW. If you want the good information, go to http://www.meredithforsheriff.com/ and get the facts. Don understands the second ammendment and CCW issues. He believes in establishing a model similar to the Orange County model.

Below iare the corrections to the mis-statement of facts in posting against Don

Hi Guys,

Thought I might interject.

I know Ken Masse personally, and he is the best contender for the position. He has raised enough funds to be taken seriously, and he is our best friend against Bacca.

----correction, he is one of 3 challengers who are serious contenders. Read the articles in the LA Times, Daily News, LA Weekly, Antelope VAlley Press and you will see that Don Meredith is the best candidate for job

Ken also has a lot of support from the rank & file deputies.

----as does Don, Ray Leyva and Paul Jerrigen. Less than 20% of deputies even bothered to vote to support a sheriff candidate. That vote was divided 5 ways.

Meredith is a good guy, but his war chest is probably less than $10,000.

---incorrect, Don has a good war chest and has outreach and support throughout the county. Check the FPPC reports.

He is an LT. in the Glendale P.D.

----also appointed to serve as a Probation Commissioner by the Board of Supervisors and is a Criminal Justice Professor

and has run a few times,

--absoultely untrue, Don has never run before!

but he does not make an effort to raise funds or to campain effectively.

---again absoultely untrue. Don hasraised money, has mailed to over 700,000 active voters, walked precincts, and made numerous appearancs all over the county, from Littlerock to Long Beach. Also he has been on the Ken and John radio show, Mark IShler radio show, KTTV Midday Sunday show as well as several other tv show and news apperances.

I think he just rujs for the hell of it.

----no this is his first time running for Sheriff. He is doing it because he sees a need for change. Check his website http://www.meredithforsheriff.com/

I do not mean to put him down, not at all, just that his chances are almost nill.

---on polling he has the best chance..in fact one major paper just wrote the, "Don is a strong candidate"

Any questions regarding Masse, you can PM me.

---for the facts on Don or any candidate check their websites or watch any of their televised candidate forums. You will see Don is the best candidate and the best for gunowners.

---contact Don at www.meredithforsheriff.com or see his position papers on CCW. Then you wlll see just how full of deceit the posting against Don was.

--Don't be influenced by the fraudulent facts..get the truth.

Last edited by don832; 05-27-2006 at 7:23 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 05-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by don832
Somebody is putting bad information out about Don Meredith candidate for LA Sheriff and CCW. If you want the good information, go to http://www.meredithforsheriff.com/ and get the facts. Don understands the second ammendment and CCW issues. He believes in establishing a model similar to the Orange County model.

Below iare the corrections to the mis-statement of facts in posting against Don
What post are you referring to? This is a duplicate of another post you had on another thread. Like I mentioned on the other thread you started, this issue was discussed before and the question of electability was raised. Many thought Ken Masse was more electable than Don Meredith. Some of the people reading Calguns had spoken with Ken Masse's campaign and are convinced he's the one to support.
Old 06-07-2006, 6:04 AM

Default The morning after....

Baca 400,000+ votes, Masse,60,000+ votes.... Well, so much for that....
Old 06-07-2006, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
Baca 400,000+ votes, Masse,60,000+ votes.... Well, so much for that....

Baca did not even freaking campaign either...stupid ignorant LA county residents............

:furious:

-SF
Old 06-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Be optimistic!

Go over to www.californiaccw.org (hereafter CA CCW) and ck out the postings. Someone posted that our position won in Fresno and Sacto counties' sheriffs races. Sacto Co. is a big win!

Don't feel too bad. Ck out my posting today at CA CCW in the LA county forum. The best thing for you guys to do is to review what happened, take notes and make sure things go right in 2010. Keep in touch w/each other (via CA CCW?) and get this ball rolling again, not 2 mos before the primary, but 2 years before the primary in 2008.

You say 2008 seems a long way off? Well, if 2004 seems like yesterday, 2008 is like tomorrow.

Also, ck out the legal strategies for getting a CCW now. "Billy Jack" has the expertise to guide you TODAY!

CA CCW is not in competition w/CGN. It is a specialized forum dedicated to only one thing: increasing CWP issuance in CA (although the Admin would like to kick start the movement in Europe as well). Its motto is: making CA Shall Issue, one county at a time.

Quote:

-Gene