Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-23-2010, 8:28 AM

Default transporting a rifle on a motorcycle

I'm in San Diego, my buddy is in Tuscon. He has a rifle of mine (1903A3 Springfield) that I need to pick up next month before he moves to Louisiana. I currently own one vehicle that I can travel to get this rifle, my Yamaha YZF600R.

First of all, legal requirements. I can't find anything that states it would be against the law to transport my rifle on my motorcycle. Of course it won't be loaded, and I seriously doubt that I would have any ammo with me unless I find a good deal on some .45acp. Anyone have any insight?

Second, the how to. Anyone have any recommendations on how to get this done? A good rifle case that would be comfortable to sling across my back for 400 miles? A scabbard? Mount it on a swivel on my fairing to keep people from cutting me off?

Oh, there will be pictures...don't worry about that!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
I'm in San Diego, my buddy is in Tuscon. He has a rifle of mine (1903A3 Springfield) that I need to pick up next month before he moves to Louisiana. I currently own one vehicle that I can travel to get this rifle, my Yamaha YZF600R.

First of all, legal requirements. I can't find anything that states it would be against the law to transport my rifle on my motorcycle. Of course it won't be loaded, and I seriously doubt that I would have any ammo with me unless I find a good deal on some .45acp. Anyone have any insight?

Second, the how to. Anyone have any recommendations on how to get this done? A good rifle case that would be comfortable to sling across my back for 400 miles? A scabbard? Mount it on a swivel on my fairing to keep people from cutting me off?

Oh, there will be pictures...don't worry about that!
Sounds good to me. I've been known to ride a mt bike with an AK on my back from time to time.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:21 AM

I would think a soft rifle case would be the best bet. Only other thing I can come up with would be to see if it fits in a guitar or bass gig bag. I had one for my bass that you could wear as a backpack. Might help distribute the weight better and not as obvious that you have a rifle on you. Just a random idea. Soft case is probably the way to go though.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermedic View Post
Only other thing I can come up with would be to see if it fits in a guitar or bass gig bag.
^-- I would recommend this. Most gig bags are 40-46" and are reasonably wide, so your 1903A3 Springfield should fit it you lean it a bit (but I'd check first or measure). Lots of gig bags have backpack straps that don't get in the way on a motorcycle -- although you have that nice wind sail sticking above your head

But seriously, if you want to avoid getting pulled over for stupid sh*t, I'd go this route.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:50 AM

I was just thinking of a guitar bag, good call. I have a friend who plays bass so I will see if I can borrow a gig bag and try it out with one of my other rifles before I attempt the trip.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:37 AM

Not like this:

Get one of those covert soft cases with the backpack straps. But even if the Thundercat is pretty upright you might have issues with the rifle resting on the back of your helmet.

Or maybe just borrow a friend's car for the day.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Pull the action from the stock to shorten it down.
I usually strap a rifle length-wise onto the passenger seat so it sticks out the back, as opposed to having a gun "on my person", and much more comfortable when riding.
400 miles of a shoulder strap possibly rubbing on your neck can get tiresome fast.
I have an inconspicous rectangle shaped nylon case that I use for this.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:48 AM

Look up the "Eberlestock" backpacks ...

They're built like tanks and you can always fold the top and bottom part. It's an investment you will not regret.

Regards,
JP
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. ~ Heinlein
Old 03-23-2010, 11:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Why cant you break it down and then put it in a box? Wrap it on some bubble wrap so the pieces dont bang together then strap the box to the bike? or in a backpack. If you remove the rifle from the stock you're cutting off 10 inches or so of length. it should be easier to carry in a box also.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:08 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you're going all that way just to pick it up, wouldn't it be 10 times easier, faster, and cheaper if he just mailed it somehow? But I dont necessarily assume thats your only intent for the trip, im just sayin.

And if I'm about to get school'd about interstate C&R transfers please be gentle.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader Matt View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you're going all that way just to pick it up, wouldn't it be 10 times easier, faster, and cheaper if he just mailed it somehow? But I dont necessarily assume thats your only intent for the trip, im just sayin.

And if I'm about to get school'd about interstate C&R transfers please be gentle.
It's my rifle, just at his place so there shouldn't be a C&R transfer issue? Don't think he can mail it as I don't have a 03 FFL. I'm also going to visit for the weekend, not just to get my rifle.

Current plan is to break it down, should fit nicely into a backpack, guitar bag or duffel bag. I'll do some experimenting on the bike around home before I make the trip.
Old 03-23-2010, 2:39 PM

If you're going to break it down, a backpack or dufflebag-as-a-backpack would be a good way to go. The guitar bag recommendation is mostly to avoid hassle. If you can go with another 'normal' looking bag and avoid the 'guitar neck' sticking up into the wind that's definitely preferable.

Good luck!
Old 03-23-2010, 3:03 PM

How about a Sneaky Bag?

http://www.originalsneakybags.com/

Or more specifically:

http://www.originalsneakybags.com/La...Rifle_Bag.html
Old 03-23-2010, 5:18 PM

Just sling the old warhorse on your back, unloaded of course (in California). We saved the damned world more than once with that rifle, you ought to be able to bring 'er home without any hassles if you want to. Remove the bolt and magazine guts if you like.
Old 03-23-2010, 7:25 PM

Someone with more knowledge on this, please chime in. But I think you can mail it to yourself, if I am not mistaken. He cant do it, but if you drive out to AZ and then ship it back to your home address, I believe that "may" be legal. please someone confirm or correct me. at the minimum, you can also ship the stock and all other parts to yourself. then you would only have to carry the barreled action. might be easier to transport just that on your bike. good luck. thanks.