View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 12:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

To counter this bit of unnecessary cynicism, the vast majority of good shoots (in California, and throughout the US) are never charged.

-Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
In general, the self-defense exemptions to the laws in California regarding firearms in public are of the worthless "gun magically appears in your hand when you need it" variety. They are essentially worthless because they cover only the brief period of time during and immediately before the actual use of the firearm for self-defense. They don't cover any time prior to that, and any prosecutor worth anything would be able to nail you on the logical inference that you must have violated the law for the gun to have been in your possession at the time you needed it.

Remember: the prosecutor only has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, and that can be accomplished as much through solid logical inference as it can through direct evidence. He'll also be dealing with a California jury, which means he'll be dealing with a bunch of people who are more likely than not to look upon the possession of a firearm in public by mere mortals with disapproval.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.