View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 10:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Let's throw a twist in to this.

There appears to be several factions, the 'one true caliber' crowd, the 'X' and over' crowd and the 'whatever works' crowd.

So I'm intrigued by the idea of hunting pig in California, never done it and only have a hunting history of dove, quail and pheasant.

Obviously the shotgun used for those is not applicable to pig and I'll need a different firearm.

Here's the rub.
I own two bolt action rifles, a .22LR Ruger and a Savage .308 that weighs between 12-15 pounds and does a good impression of a field artillery piece.
I own only 2 because I really am not interested in or overly fond of bolt actions and have no interest in buying another one.

I do enjoy semi-auto rifles and lever action rifles as well as handguns in just about any format and semi or pump shotguns.

The firearms i own that might be viable are a few AR-pattern rifles, Mini-14, .357 lever action, pistol carbines and an M1 Garand. The rest of my rifles, shotguns and handguns are more focused on combat rather than hunting.

I don't like uni-taskers, a firearm that is 'purpose built for pig hunting and nothing else' is not going to find a home in my safe.

So, with my interest and criteria on the table what would people suggest I look at as a firearm and caliber for pig hunting in California?

To make things simple, keep in mind that after you pig hunt for the first time you may get hooked which could open the door to out of state hunts and other species.

You have a 308 which is a great round for big game IMHO. The bolt action rifle is paramount when hunting for several reasons. Accuracy is one although you will get arguments on that topic too. Reliability is the most important reason however. The chances of a bolt gun screwing up on you is slim and none. The semi auto has a better chance of screwing up with dirt or foul weather.

Also keep in mind that "your one chance" at an animal, if you are lucky enough to see an animal is not the time to test reliability of the firearm.

Basically, a bolt action hunting rifle in 308 with a good scope (much lighter that an old military rifle) would be a one gun does it all in North America.

Some will argue this and start talking ballistics, and whatever else their opinion is. (all experienced hunters do this LOL)

I am only picking out a 308 for YOU because you are already invested in that round. Others will suggest other calibers but i am trying to keep it as simple as possible as you requested.

Last edited by taperxz; 12-31-2013 at 11:00 AM..