View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 9:10 AM
Veteran Member

I believe that it is a good thing to have rules when it comes to definitions of terms and labels. A good rule book in this regard is the Dictionary.

When I open my Dictionary to the word Liberal the first entry is as follows:

1) Broad-minded tolerant of different views and standards of behavior in others.

For Conservative:

1) Reluctant to accept change in favor of preserving the status quo and traditional values and customs, and against abrupt change.

For Progressive:

1) Progressing gradually over a period of time. (the root word here is progress)

I would remind those (both right and left) who disagree with the above that the Constitution is not, and never has been, a conservative document. It would follow, therefore, that the right to bear arms is not, automatically, a conservative virtue.

By the same token, the forces that opposed the creation of the Constitution and The Bill of Rights were not Liberal in their mentality.

Before the gnashing of teeth on the right begins - Liberals, for the most part, are just as silly as conservatives when it comes to clarity on this subject.

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."