View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Everyone who wants to apply in San Diego should apply now. The more the better! I already did! See my post here & here.
It may be wise to get an appointment now, although legally nothing have changed. Depending on the course of action San Diego takes, there may be a window between the District count mandate/judgement in Peruta and a stay pending writ to SCOTUS (assuming they do not go en banc, or it en banc is denied - I think that Kozinski won't want to hear it).

The most interesting factor is the press release from SD Sheriff's

Quote:
The 9th Circuit opinion has not yet changed existing state law. Therefore, applications that are currently being processed will be issued pursuant to current state law. Those that do not meet current state law standards will not be denied, but held in abeyance until the legal issues are resolved.
State law mandates that they must respond to your application within 90 days, or 30 days from receiving your background check, whichever is later. The "held in abeyance" is just a CYA to avoid another 1983 suit from someone who is denied. Some more "on the fence" counties may see the writing on the wall, but I think San Diego is going to need an order from the District Court before the policy is officially changed.

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.