View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Personal opinion here... YMMV

I prefer the 24 inch and have a ported one for my 500. Longer barrels are okay and all for some applications, but shotgun shells burn out in 18 inches or a bit less so you don't really gain anything in terms of velocity with super long barrels. I shoot clays and will be hunting with the one I have. It's fast handling and balances very well.

Accu-Choke is Mossberg's brand name for their tubes. I strongly recommend going with a choke tube set up for maximum flexibility off a single barrel. I can shoot clays, turkey, waterfowl and upland birds all with the same gun and barrel. You'll probably find over time that you will buy some aftermarket tubes what are extended out the front of the barrel for ease of use/change.

The barrel I have for my 500 has a very generous white bead up front and a small gold mid-bead. While I had thought that mid-beads on that length of barrel were not really needed, I have found it does help get a good line. I'm still evaluating the stock bead in contemplation of a fiber optic.

Vent rib will give you a nice flat plane to sight over that lines up nicely with the receiver. It also will break up heat waves a bit.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison