View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 3:07 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaworski View Post
My son lives in California. Alameda, Ca. to be precise.

He's inherited a Ruger Single-Six that, as executor, I'm holding onto. The deceased was a Pa. resident, as am I.

My son is currently visiting me.

Under Federal and Pennsylvania laws, I can just give him the gun and he can walk away with it.

What are the rules regarding bringing an inherited gun into Ca.? I've found stuff online about moving into the state with guns but not about our situation.

Any insights?

Thanks.
It (him being in PA and the executor of the estate handing the firearm to him, then him bringing the firearm back to CA) is also legal under California laws. [PC 27585(b)(7) & 27920(c)]

After he takes possession of the firearm and returns to CA, he has 30 days to report the acquisition to CA DOJ. [PC 27920(c)(3)]

Penal Code 27585
(a) Commencing January 1, 2015, a resident of this state shall not import into this state, bring into this state, or transport into this state, any firearm that he or she purchased or otherwise obtained on or after January 1, 2015, from outside of this state unless he or she first has that firearm delivered to a dealer in this state for delivery to that resident pursuant to the procedures set forth in Section 27540 and Article 1 (commencing with Section 26700) and Article 2 (commencing with Section 26800) of Chapter 2.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to or affect any of the following:
(7) A person who complies with subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 27920.

Penal Code 27920
(c) Subdivision (a) of Section 27585 does not apply to a person who imports a firearm into this state, brings a firearm into this state, or transports a firearm into this state if all of the following requirements are met:
(1) The person acquires ownership of the firearm by bequest or intestate succession as a surviving spouse or as the surviving registered domestic partner of the decedent who owned that firearm.
(2) If acquisition of the firearm had occurred within this state, the receipt of the firearm by the surviving spouse or registered domestic partner would be exempt from the provisions of Section 27545 pursuant to paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) by virtue of subdivision (h) of Section 16990.
(3) Within 30 days of taking possession of the firearm and importing, bringing, or transporting it into this state, the person shall submit a report to the Department of Justice, in a manner prescribed by the department, that includes information concerning the individual taking possession of the firearm, how title was obtained and from whom, and a description of the firearm in question.
(4) The person has obtained a valid firearm safety certificate, except that in the case of a handgun, a valid unexpired handgun safety certificate may be used.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).