View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell0700 View Post
was asking for advice on what to expect as a married man with a child.
It's not going to be easy. Not being a Marine I can't say I know, but in the Army you would not get any contact with your family while in Basic Training other than phone time, and graduation, then off to MOS school.

You might be able to live off post with your family while at MOS school. If you do, remember, you'll be getting up at 3am to make it on time to your PT before class. You'll probably get home around 8pm.

Now, if you "DO" manage to get to have your family with you while in MOS school it's going to be totally on you to find housing. Guess when you get to do it? On your own time. Guess what the business hours are of rental offices for housing? They sure as hell aren't Marine hours.

If you don't have a car then you are screwed, but you can't drive it. The Army didn't even let enlisted trainees drive. You're wife have to drive.

Not having a kid and wife at the time I was in enlisted training I can't imagine the additional stress you might be incurring. Right? It's not like you can simply walk to your barracks and crash, or study at the end of the day. You'll have a huge distraction. HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! While all your peers around you will have the ability to 100% focus, or just step away from formation and sleep and recharge for the next day.

Your wife is probably not going to understand the amount of bull sht you have to deal with for being the slightest bit late for anything, and why the smallest things are such a big deal.

My son was born while I was in Officer MOS school. I brought my wife out with me a few months after I got there. I had to get civilian housing off post because on post stuff wasn't for temporary housing.

I had the luxury of being an officer at that time. So my weekends were mine, and I had a car I was allowed to drive around. I narrowly was able to find a place with weekend business hours and squeezed in all the paperwork, and credit checks to actually be allowed to rent an apartment. THEN I had to find a place to rent furniture. But guess what, guess when THEIR business hours are, and when they will deliver???? Yep, guess where you will be during the weekdays, and they don't deliver on weekends. So you'll have to figure that out as well.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I did it. I was an officer though, and I think I barely pulled it off. It was my entire focus of getting her out there, and doing all the things I needed to do to be allowed to be there for his birth. Class work took a back seat so long as I passed the Army Standard.

I was lucky. He was born in the final two weeks. So I only really had one final project on my back, and then we coasted from there. But she wasn't really happy.

If you are enlisted, your wife will have to do all the leg work. PERIOD. You're not going to have the time or freedom to work it.

If you are active duty you might get access to family resources for housing help.

If you are reserve your a sht out of luck.