View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerussell View Post
WOW -- I didn't expect this much response to my post. And let me make this clear up front -- I don't want the gun back, I'm very happy it's with the OP and that he asked about daddy. My only request would be that a copy of my post(s) be kept with the gun as a tribute and history for my dad.

I found this post/site by googling daddy's name on a whim -- to see if there was anything on him besides his death record. When I open the link for this post and say the gun and read the question about it, it brought a tear to my eye and many happy memories.

Here's a copy of the letter daddy wrote regarding The Rape of Nanking:

RAPE OF NANKING
Editor -- It was with a deep sense of sadness that I read Charles Burress' article (Sunday, July 26) about the rape/ holocaust/massacre of Nanjing from December 1937 through January 1939.
You see, Nanking was the city of my birth, 72 years ago. My parents were Seventh-day Adventist missionaries, and my dad was attending the Nanking University Language School, learning Mandarin, when it was time for my arrival. I was born in the university hospital. Naturally, I would have an interest in the sad events that Mr. Burress writes about.
It is a shame that this atrocity was buried for so long. I am grateful to Iris Chang for bringing this horror to our attention. True, there were those of us who were aware of this crime and spoke out, but we were in the minority. The Japanese government was busy spinmeistering and denying that such a thing as that had happened, or could happen. Sadly, a lot of people believed them, especially the apologists and historical revisionists.
I have in my possession a VHS copy of the film taken by Dr. John Magee, and smuggled out of Nanking by Dr. George Fitch, the YMCA director. It is rather graphic. My dad got a copy of the film and showed it to service clubs, veterans organizations, church groups, and even to Hollywood dignitaries.
Suggested reading: ``Hidden Horrors'' by Yuke Tanaka; ``Blood and Bushido'' by Bernard Edwards; and ``Kempeitai'' by Raymond Lamont-Brown.
What goes around, comes around. Japan's economic woes may be a form of retribution.
ORVILLE A. BIERKLE, Pacheco

I'll look for the information on one of the books he contributed to and for the poem he wrote for the Chosen Few Newsletter -- if you'd be interested.

I also have the copy of daddy's birth record and service papers for Korea -- aside from that, I can think of no other way to prove who I am and that Orville A Bierkle is my father.

Thank you again for asking about him.
I'd say that you've more than proved it!!!!
Thanks for your families contributions to the nation.
Semper Fi