Thread: Butte
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 3:03 PM

Side note on the process to renew or add a firearm: if you're a current CCW holder, there's no need to fill out a whole new application. Just call the sheriff's office, they'll run your name again and send you out a training letter.

I'm not going to argue about the "training letter" thing. This is the last I'll say on the topic: I don't know Jerry Smith. I've never met the man let alone done him any favors, I'm not in any sort of special "sheriff's auxiliary" or anything other than an ordinary citizen with a clean record, yet the process was painless and hassle-free, in fact his staff has been downright helpful. Would I rather he had an explicit "shall-issue" policy? Of course I would. But as far as I'm concerned the problem is sheriffs who who don't issue at all, or who only issue permits in exchange for large donations or political favors, not a guy who's on record as stating that ordinary law-abiding citizens should have the means to defend themselves but thinks the process would be a little smoother if it were run a little differently.